Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 5th 2012 new

The most simplified explanation I ever heard regarding why there are different rites was (and please, anyone, flesh out the explanation if necessary) that when the apostles began to spread the gospel, they travelled in different areas and without the instantaneous communication we have these days, different styles of worship emerged.

This was simple enough for me to remember long-term and it might suffice for any kind of initial tutelage.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: It is my goal to attend a Mass in all 22 rites of the Church. I've been to Melkite, Byzantine ...
(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said:
It is my goal to attend a Mass in all 22 rites of the Church. I've been to Melkite, Byzantine Ruthenian, Assyrian Chaldean, Ukrainian and of course Roman rite Masses.
--hide--

Mine too! I find the Eastern rite liturgies to be very beautiful. I only attend the Ukrainian Greek Catholic on a somewhat regular basis. The church is 5 minutes walking distance from my house, and I never would have discovered it hadn't I been encouraged to attend one day when the TLM was temporarily suspended in our city a few years back. I want to attend the Maronite and Chaldean Masses one day too.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: www.ewtn.com This is a series on EWTN called "Ligh...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

www.ewtn.com

This is a series on EWTN called "Light of the East", which discusses various aspects/issues of the Eastern Catholic Church. This resource should also give these women assurance that the Eastern Church is certainly 100% Catholic, as this series would not exist on EWTN if it were not. EWTN will not promote any such program that is not 100% in line with the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.

--hide--

I have watched that program on EWTN and find it very informative and inspiring. Definitely a good reccomendation, Ed.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

How should I approach that with Roman Catholic women I date?
--hide--

I haven't read all the other 50 posts, but I would recommend starting with the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Paragraphs 1200 through 1209, and 1203 specifically address differences in Rites and Liturgy

Dec 6th 2012 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: I explain it and they still think I'm Greek or Russian Orthodox and that I'm not a Catholic.
(Quote) John-220051 said: I explain it and they still think I'm Greek or Russian Orthodox and that I'm not a Catholic.
--hide--

I just came across this thread again.....

You have to bring them to Divine Liturgy, or, have them find a place near them and go, preferably after calling the priest and asking for someone to "translate". The basic construct is the same....Introductory Rite, Liturgy of the Word, Liturgy of the Eucharist, Concluding Rite.
Dec 6th 2012 new

My mother would never let me date an Eastern Catholic and I'm thankful she didn't. I'd get FAT from all their good cooking.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women w...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic guy I seem to frequently encounter misunderstandings from Western Catholic women when it comes to my rite, which is 100 percent Catholic. We have the same Pope and the same faith. It's just expressed slightly differently.

How should I approach that with Roman Catholic women I date?
--hide--

Hey John,

I would just say be who you are. What rite do you belong to? I've attended Melkite and Maronite masses and both are beautiful. I always like to hear about other rites. Go saint Charbel!! Sounds like those women are extremely picky and passed up a good man.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: That hasn't been my experience. I fell in love with my best friend, but she decided we were incompati...
(Quote) John-220051 said: That hasn't been my experience. I fell in love with my best friend, but she decided we were incompatible because of the ritual differences.
--hide--

Why don't you ask her if she will go with you to talk with your priest about the issue? Just a thought. Would be a shame not to marry your best friend.

- Elizabeth

Posts 51 - 58 of 58