Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-513644 said: Gerard: I'm inclined to keep everything status quo as well. I was thinking ...
(Quote) Nancy-513644 said:

Gerard: I'm inclined to keep everything status quo as well. I was thinking of Leon's suggestion with just picking the score of one final game, but he makes a good point as one may still result in a tie and two less likely. I'm flexible though, so just tell me whether I need to punt an pull some scores out of a hat all games, two of the games or none.

I just enjoy reading the posts and submitting my picks.

--hide--

Nancy,

Thank you for the input;your contributons are always welcome.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Nancy, Thank you for the input;your contributons are always welcome.
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Nancy,

Thank you for the input;your contributons are always welcome.

--hide--

Your welcome. You do a great job "running" this forum/thread. Thanks for all your work. I learn new things each week.

God bless,

Nancy

Dec 6th 2012 new

I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the then Houston Oilers.

Bill Peterson had previously coached 11 years at Florida State and one year at Rice University in Houston prior to being named head coach by owner K. S. (Bud) Adams to begin the 1972 season. Bill was eccentric and was known for saying goofy things and Bud Adams was an owner who had little personality and humor. Before taking the team to Tennessee, Bud was never popular in Houston. Nevertheless, with his coach and his "sayings" and Bud with little humor, it was not surprising he sent Coach Peterson on his way after winning only 1 game in 19.

At Florida State, Bill told a reporter:

"It's a unique camp with unique experiences. We do a lot of little things you see with a top division club, whether it is the decorations in the locker room or each kid getting their own uniform".

Also at Florida State he told the team, "you guys have to run a little more than full speed out there"; "wherever you are - be all there"; "lead us in a few words of silent prayer".

There were others but now I will fast forward to the Oilers:

"If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging".

"Men, I want you thinking of only one word all season - Super Bowl".

"I'm the football coach around here and don't you remember it".

"I'm not surprised that Dallas is starting five non-regulars against us. I know I would do it if in Tom Landry's position. In fact, I would like to be playing against Houston myself".

When asked if he thought it would rain the day of the game, he responded, "how would I know, I am not a geologist".

"The greatest thing just happened to me. I just got indicted into the Florida Sports Hall of Fame. They had a standing observation for me".

"I used to have this slight speech implement and couldn't remember things until I took the Sam Carnegie course".

Two of my all-time favorites:

"I want you guys to pair up in groups of three and then line up in a circle".

For the Oilers team picture he stated, "you guys line up alphabetically by height".

Bill had a couple of biblical sayings which I will share later in the thread.

I wish everyone well with their picks.

Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay...."Dandy Don Meredith" May God rest his soul. Don Meredith is my all-time ...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay...."Dandy Don Meredith" May God rest his soul.

Don Meredith is my all-time choice as favorite player for the Dallas Cowboys...and maybe all time PLAYER period. As a kid I practically worshipped this guy. He was a native Texan (Mt Vernon) and starred in both Basketball and Football. His achievements/records at Mt Vernon High are still stashed in the trophy cases there. Actually in high school he was a better basketball player but seemed to love football more. He received a scholarship to Southern Methodist University (SMU) For this reason he piqued my Dad's attention since he went there years before. Don was a college All-American. From there he went on to star for the Dallas Cowboys being picked in the first round in either 1960 or 1961. Tough, determined, personable....FUNNY for sure and a great quarterback....he was popular with men and women everywhere. To me, as a 10 year old who held Johnny Unitas in such high esteem....my allegiances gravitated to players in Dallas...like Meredith. And the man COULD and did play with injury and pain. Broken ribs, torn knees, separated shoulders, broken digits, broken nose (several times) and concussions...to name some injuries plagued him throughout his career. Inspite of a weak offensive line and MANY sacks Don still performed at a high level and absolutely would not give up on a game or his team...unless pronounced "out" Don shared time with a smallish veteran named Eddie LeBaron (5'7!) at first..then took over for good in 1961. He threw lots of T.D.s to Frank Clarke, Pettis Norman, Billy Howton...and was backed up by a stellar fullback named Don Perkins. Later, many of his LONG throws went to Bob Hayes. I still believe if he had ever had an offensive line....there would be many records which would still stand! One of them does. He owns the record for most yards in a game; 460!

Taking the mighty Green Bay Packers to task 2 years in a row....he and the Cowboys played outstanding games....almost winning one in -13 degree weather at Lambeau Field. After losing against them and then the Browns the following year....he finally had had enough...and retired.

He then became even more famous after becoming one of the 3 announcers for the brand-new addition of Monday Night Football. His antics and humor were unsurpassed. He would get Howard Cosell (co-announcer) laughing so hard in the booth....(one time he nearly swallowed his cigar!) When a game was "well at hand" he was famous singing "turn out the lights....the party's over" ....more less "rubber stamping" a loss.

(though I remember one time he sang it TOO early!) Dandy even tried acting.

Once my Father took me to a mall where 3 or 4 Cowboys were signing autographs....including Dandy Don. I was "star struck" just holding my pad out for him to sign...and my Dad telling him my name! Since Meredith was 6'3....he seemed like a giant to me! But I truly loved Don Meredith and his play....and ability to play with pain and injury.

To me he was "Number 17 in your playbook......number 1 in your heart!"

--hide--

Jerry,

Another great story and one of my all-time favorite Cowboys. They made QBs tough back then.

Don, rest in eternal peace.

Once again, thanks for sharing and keep them acoming.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the then Houston Oilers.

Bill Peterson had previously coached 11 years at Florida State and one year at Rice University in Houston prior to being named head coach by owner K. S. (Bud) Adams to begin the 1972 season. Bill was eccentric and was known for saying goofy things and Bud Adams was an owner who had little personality and humor. Before taking the team to Tennessee, Bud was never popular in Houston. Nevertheless, with his coach and his "sayings" and Bud with little humor, it was not surprising he sent Coach Peterson on his way after winning only 1 game in 19.

"It's a unique camp with unique experiences. We do a lot of little things you see with a top division club, whether it is the decorations in the locker room or each kid getting their own uniform".

Also at Florida State he told the team, "you guys have to run a little more than full speed out there"; "wherever you are - be all there"; "lead us in a few words of silent prayer".

"I'm not surprised that Dallas is starting five non-regulars against us. I know I would do it if in Tom Landry's position. In fact, I would like to be playing against Houston myself".

When asked if he thought it would rain the day of the game, he responded, "how would I know, I am not a geologist".

"The greatest thing just happened to me. I just got indicted into the Florida Sports Hall of Fame. They had a standing observation for me".

"I used to have this slight speech implement and couldn't remember things until I took the Sam Carnegie course".

For the Oilers team picture he stated, "you guys line up alphabetically by height".

Leon

--hide--
Leon, thanks for sharing such a GREAT funny story. I'm still laughing!! wink laughing laughing

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I w...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Leon

Leon, thanks for sharing such a GREAT funny story. I'm still laughing!!

--hide--

Linda,

You are welcome, my dear. Our sports teams have had some real winners here. Unfortunately, they have never been on the playing field until maybe this year.

Enjoy your weekend.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Dec 9th 2012 new
Lion gangster cheese
Dec 9th 2012 new
Lion hissyfit
Dec 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Leon

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing Great story Leon!

Dec 10th 2012 new

We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while his best friend and starter is in jail for the charges of vehicular manslaughter. (another senseless alcohol related tragedy)

My heart goes out to Jerry Brown's family! theheart The whole thing....as many recent events in the NFL would point to, was just totally unnecessary...and could have been avoided.

With heavy hearts the Dallas Cowboys still had a game to be played. And I was as proud of the team as I've ever been. They went on the road to contend with a playoff team in their own backyard....and STILL played football and WON! I've never since (7yrs old and first started watching football) seen anything like it. It wasn't pretty...but the Cowboys prevailed....and now I will tip my hat to Tony Romo. Inspite of many "jarring" hits he just kept COMING....(what a win!)and drove the team to his 17th game winning drive

Posts 21 - 30 of 125