Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I just completely ignore them.. It's rare when I even notice the text on them..
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I just completely ignore them.. It's rare when I even notice the text on them..

--hide--

same here.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Thanks Nathan, the World of Warcraft was the most important one to keep off CM!
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Thanks Nathan, the World of Warcraft was the most important one to keep off CM!
--hide--

It's difficult to edit the ad content. Why purify your surroundings? Purify yourself and the stupid ads won't matter. Ignore them.

Dec 6th 2012 new

I'm very confused...how is World of Warcraft against Christianity? Did I miss an official statement somewhere?

Dec 6th 2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I get targeted ads all the time..Let me look at a yarn site and I get ads for yarn..Thinking...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I get targeted ads all the time..Let me look at a yarn site and I get ads for yarn..Thinking about a new mattress and look online? I get mattress company ads... If I go from here to the knitting forums, Catholicmatch ads pop up..

--hide--

I do get some targeted ads.

However, I don't play any video games or computer games. I rarely go to sites outside of CM and FB...and youtube. In addition, I don't use any apps. When I do venture off these sites, it is usually sites like EWTN or to Google something that would NOT be a reason to target ads like World of Warcraft.
Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: I do get some targeted ads. However, I don't play any video games or computer games....
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

I do get some targeted ads.

However, I don't play any video games or computer games. I rarely go to sites outside of CM and FB...and youtube. In addition, I don't use any apps. When I do venture off these sites, it is usually sites like EWTN or to Google something that would NOT be a reason to target ads like World of Warcraft.
--hide--

Not all of the ads are targeted. For those who don't do much web surfing, proportionately more of the ads will be untargeted simply because Google doesn't have the profile information to use for personal targeting.

Consider also that the targeting may be done at the site level rather than a personal level. If, for example, CM has a higher than average CTR (click-through rate) on Warcraft ads, Google is more likely to display Warcraft ads to other CM users. (I don't know if that's what is actually happening with this particular ad, but it is a possibility.)

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: It's difficult to edit the ad content. Why purify your surroundings? Purify yourself and ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

It's difficult to edit the ad content. Why purify your surroundings? Purify yourself and the stupid ads won't matter. Ignore them.

--hide--

I am not familiar with this particular game, but if there is something morally objectionable about it, avoiding presenting a near occasion of sin to the site users is a very good reason to block the ads.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Katherine-868943 said: I'm very confused...how is World of Warcraft against Christianity? Did I miss an official...
(Quote) Katherine-868943 said:

I'm very confused...how is World of Warcraft against Christianity? Did I miss an official statement somewhere?

--hide--

The impression I have of this game is that it involves a fair amount of violence and that it is not uncommon for users to participate in it regularly for a significant amount of time.

How does participating in this game bring the player closer to Christ, who taught that we must seek peace? This is difficult enough for most of us who don't play such games; the long-term interactive exposure to violence, even in a FRP game, is far more likely to make the struggle even more difficult.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The impression I have of this game is that it involves a fair amount of violence and that...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The impression I have of this game is that it involves a fair amount of violence and that it is not uncommon for users to participate in it regularly for a significant amount of time.

How does participating in this game bring the player closer to Christ, who taught that we must seek peace? This is difficult enough for most of us who don't play such games; the long-term interactive exposure to violence, even in a FRP game, is far more likely to make the struggle even more difficult.

--hide--

Pile 'em up and strike a match Savonarola!

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Dec 6th 2012 new

Amen. So be it.

Dec 6th 2012 new

There's an ad for laundry detergent on my page! Does that mean they think I'm DIRTY???

Posts 31 - 40 of 41