Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

12/07/2012 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: Public opinion is coin of the realm for legislators considering a bill. Do you really thin...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Public opinion is coin of the realm for legislators considering a bill. Do you really think someone would actually propose legislation in the US congress orand state legislative assembly advocating the enactment of Old Tetstament strictures against homosexuality? Stone all the hairdressers and dance directors? What do you think would happento our own clergy under such a law?

Seriously, stop thinking and learnto perceive.

--hide--

I take it you are straining at sarcasm.
12/07/2012 new

(Quote) Do you really want blasphemy laws? Are you nuts?? Apart from being a very clear violation of First Amendment free speech rights, do...
(Quote)

Do you really want blasphemy laws? Are you nuts?? Apart from being a very clear violation of First Amendment free speech rights, do you think they'd be used to protect Catholicism? Heckno. They'd be used against Catholics not in support of them.

What planet do you live on?

--hide--

>>I was speaking as a matter of historical principle. Had the founders intended the First Amendment to bar blasphemy laws or the like, the states would have repealed their statutes.

You are getting too emotional. We have blasphemy laws today. They are known as hate-crimes statutes.

12/07/2012 new
12/10/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Are you sure your foot never did drag? She looks familiar to me.

Are you sure your foot never did drag? She looks familiar to me.

--hide--

I think this joke has outlived its shelf life...

12/10/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Absolutely. But the Mosaic law does not govern the United States. Civil unions are t...

Absolutely. But the Mosaic law does not govern the United States. Civil unions are the best alternative to avert our nation from recognizing a same sex union as a marriage.

You never answered my question about that foot of yours. Let's name her Nancy.

--hide--

HaHaHaHa...

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Joachim-908165 said: My mind is troubled. I don't like to see any individual of sex, race or creed persecuted. I...
(Quote) Joachim-908165 said:

My mind is troubled. I don't like to see any individual of sex, race or creed persecuted. I know and understand why the practice of homosexuality is wrong; I just feel sympathetic towards those who are blinded by society's teachings that it is an "accepted sexual orientation". How should I balance the concern I have for homosexuals while strictly adhereing to the Church's teachings?

--hide--

Hey Joachim,

I have gay friends that I treat with respect and we at times have lengthy spiritual discussions. They were shocked to find out that I am a catholic. I show by deed that I can accept them as a person. When we get on the topic of lifestyle, I would say that I don't accept their sexuality, but I don't hate them and I don't think they are going to hell (as they once asked me). I follow this up with saying that I know heterosexual men and women whose sexuality I find deplorable--being heterosexual doesn't make us white as snow either, which they emphatically agree with. In short I try to see how we are alike rather than how we are not alike.

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) David-820720 said: Hey Joachim,I have gay friends that I treat with respect and we at times ...
(Quote) David-820720 said:

Hey Joachim,

I have gay friends that I treat with respect and we at times have lengthy spiritual discussions. They were shocked to find out that I am a catholic. I show by deed that I can accept them as a person. When we get on the topic of lifestyle, I would say that I don't accept their sexuality, but I don't hate them and I don't think they are going to hell (as they once asked me). I follow this up with saying that I know heterosexual men and women whose sexuality I find deplorable--being heterosexual doesn't make us white as snow either, which they emphatically agree with. In short I try to see how we are alike rather than how we are not alike.

--hide--

Thanks David. This is exactly how we, as catholics, should approach homosexuals. We needn't compromise principles to practice charity and tolerance. Look at Jesus in the Gospels. He did just this and the religious idiots of his day thought he was approving of sinful conduct rather than bringing God's love to the very people who needed it most. It's amazing how little has changed in 20 centuries.

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) David-820720 said: Hey Joachim,I have gay friends that I treat with respect and we at times ...
(Quote) David-820720 said:

Hey Joachim,

--hide--
You seem to have it right, David. The exception to your statement would be re: going to Hell. We really can't tell anyone where they're going to end up -- it's not up to us to say. The Good Lord will sort all of this out -- that's His job.

There is so much negative publicity that the Catholic and other faith groups receive about acceptance of people, homosexuals in particular. If we don't agree with their lifestyle, we're branded as homophobic. Sadly, it keeps people away from the Church because they feel or have been told they won't be accepted; they feel branded because of how the Church has been portrayed. They seem shocked when they hear an explanation such as you give. While we certainly don't approve of a gay lifestyle, we can treat others with the dignity to which they are entitled as people.

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: You seem to have it right, David. The exception to your statement would be re: going to Hell. We re...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

You seem to have it right, David. The exception to your statement would be re: going to Hell. We really can't tell anyone where they're going to end up -- it's not up to us to say. The Good Lord will sort all of this out -- that's His job.

--hide--

While it is not up to us to say who is or isn't going to hell, we do know that unrepented mortal sins will result in the loss of one's soul. Clearly this has to be presented in the right way, but not saying anything is not only doing the person any favors in the long-run, it is also avoiding a spiritual work of mercy.

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: While it is not up to us to say who is or isn't going to hell, we do know that un...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

While it is not up to us to say who is or isn't going to hell, we do know that unrepented mortal sins will result in the loss of one's soul. Clearly this has to be presented in the right way, but not saying anything is not only doing the person any favors in the long-run, it is also avoiding a spiritual work of mercy.

--hide--
Of course, Jerry. This is something that is between the Good Lord and people's souls. We can't often know a person's last thoughts before he/she departs from this world.

Posts 71 - 80 of 80