Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Dissention

12/06/2012 new

I want to start off by saying I have no theological training and I’ll do my best to separate out what is my opinion and what is my understanding of Catholic teaching.

Dissention is what they Protestants did when they disagreed with something the Church taught. I see way too many Catholics today who believe and say that it is ok to dissent from this teaching or that dogma of the Church and still be Catholic. According to St. Thomas Aquinas from what I’ve read, one cannot argue truth, as there is no refuting truth. If we through faith believe and hold that the Catholic Church is the authoritative body that holds the truth given to us by God than there is no dissenting from the truth without consequences.

Why do so many Catholics not stand up to the dissenters and let them know that it is the Truth of God that they are rejecting and with charity call them back to the truth? It is NOT charity to ignore them, or let them continue to think that they are in full communion with the truth while dissenting, as to do so would be lying and that is not truth. How many who currently dissent in some manner have open enough hearts and the grace to recognize, hear, and then believe the truth?

How do we help evangelize all these dissenting Catholics?

Does the Magisterium have any culpability in this?

To me this all plays into finding a spouse. It is not easy to find Catholics these days who fully accept the Truth the Church teaches and who actively try and live that truth. I get into discussions all the time with fellow Catholics who don’t agree with the Church on any number of issues from, contraception, no salvation outside the Church, ecumenism, and more. In this day and age where information is so easy to obtain and find it has actually made it harder for people to find and believe the truth, does anyone else think that?

End of my little rant.

12/08/2012 new

The concept of 'Cafeteria Catholics' is very common today. I think much of the problem stems from our culture's rejection of authority. It goes back to believing the Jesus established the Catholic Church and gave the apostles the authority to free and to bind. He also promised that The Gates of Hell will not prevail against it. Unfortunately I know many Catholics who don't accept the the Pope and the Magesterium know more than they do. I guess it's really not surprising when a large percentage of Catholics don't believe in the Real Presence.

It is very frustrating, but I believe we are all called to evangelize the Catholics around us. Dissent is protestantism and is often heresy. But many Catholics were never properly formed in their faith. As much as possible we need to lead, to love and to pray. Sometimes this means pointing out a person's sin (one of the spiritual acts of mercy). But if they won't accept it, we pray for them, and have to shake the dust from our feet.

sad

12/08/2012 new

This encyclical issued by Pope Pius X in 1907 may shed some light on the nature of the problem:

www.vatican.va

12/08/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This encyclical issued by Pope Pius X in 1907 may shed some light on the nature of the problem:
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

This encyclical issued by Pope Pius X in 1907 may shed some light on the nature of the problem:

www.vatican.va

--hide--

Thanks Jerry, I've read it before and for me it can be a bit hard to understand at time.

12/09/2012 new

Don't know if this helps, John but her goes: What really matters is the four pillars of our faith, that is The Creed, The Sacraments, The Commandments, and the Lord's Prayer. That about covers it. I'm an apologist myself, not an evangelist. I refute false statements about the faith (sometimes I've risked my life doing so) if people want to come to church I could certainly give them good reasons, but I also respect their free will.

One things I am careful of (and heedful of--and mindful of) is the many different spiritualities in Catholicism. Pope Benedict stated as such. That's one reason why I love the Faith. You could go to church on a Sunday morning and see a charismatic sitting next to a contemplative, who is sitting next to someone called to do apostolic works. I'm a contemplative myself. While it is true that we all have these gifts, we shouldn't say to our neighbor, "Be like me, or you are wrong." There's too much of that going on in Washington DC these days.

To tell you the truth I think we were all "cafeteria catholics" at one time or another until we put on our big boy pants and take it upon ourselves to explore our faith. I reflect on what kindled the fire in me and others that I know to do so. Such info is probably useful when approaching others to evangelize them.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5