Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Dec 10th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while his best frien...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while his best friend and starter is in jail for the charges of vehicular manslaughter. (another senseless alcohol related tragedy)

My heart goes out to Jerry Brown's family! The whole thing....as many recent events in the NFL would point to, was just totally unnecessary...and could have been avoided.

With heavy hearts the Dallas Cowboys still had a game to be played. And I was as proud of the team as I've ever been. They went on the road to contend with a playoff team in their own backyard....and STILL played football and WON! I've never since (7yrs old and first started watching football) seen anything like it. It wasn't pretty...but the Cowboys prevailed....and now I will tip my hat to Tony Romo. Inspite of many "jarring" hits he just kept COMING....(what a win!)and drove the team to his 17th game winning drive

--hide--
My prayers are with the Cowboys and their families. Very sorry for their loss.......
Dec 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while ...

We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while his best friend and starter is in jail for the charges of vehicular manslaughter. (another senseless alcohol related tragedy)

My heart goes out to Jerry Brown's family! The whole thing....as many recent events in the NFL would point to, was just totally unnecessary...and could have been avoided.

With heavy hearts the Dallas Cowboys still had a game to be played. And I was as proud of the team as I've ever been. They went on the road to contend with a playoff team in their own backyard....and STILL played football and WON! I've never since (7yrs old and first started watching football) seen anything like it. It wasn't pretty...but the Cowboys prevailed....and now I will tip my hat to Tony Romo. Inspite of many "jarring" hits he just kept COMING....(what a win!)and drove the team to his 17th game winning drive

--hide--

Jerry,

Yes, I was also proud of the team. I can't help but believe this activity goes on frequently. While working, I was responsible for employee safety for office and field operations. I have seen it so many times - you do things wrong enough times, usually tragedy comes your way. Just a senseless loss of life. Since your wrote you post, I saw on the news the driver of the vehicle is out on bond. In my opinion, he should not have been granted bond. It is my understanding, this man had problems with alcohol while in college.

My prayers go to the family and friends of the deceased. Although it is hard for me to do, I also pray for the driver. No kind of prison time will equate having this tragedy on his conscience until his death.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Dec 10th 2012 new

Something like this happened years ago with ALL-PRO wide receiver Drew Pearson. He and his brother were driving back from a long trip. Drew had "pushed" himself to point of exhaustion (another major cause of traffic accidents and fatalities) He HAD NOT been drinking. But had instead "dozed off" and lost control of his vehicle.

His brother was killed and Drew ended up with a ruptured spleen.....an injury which terminated his career.

When I think of all the "would ifs" Drew Pearson probably played over in his mind "like a broken record" it had to be a terrible loss which would be SO difficult live with.

Yet Drew Pearson has survived....and has done well in business. Still I wonder if he thinks about his brother every day~

Dec 10th 2012 new

Da Bucs will get em next week and go Giants wave

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-513644 said: Your welcome. You do a great job "running" this forum/thread. Thanks for all y...
(Quote) Nancy-513644 said:

Your welcome. You do a great job "running" this forum/thread. Thanks for all your work. I learn new things each week.

God bless,

Nancy

--hide--

Nancy,

Thank you for the kind words.It's nice to be appreciated.

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

I mentioned in Gerard's previous thread, I would share information about a man who coached the then Houston Oilers.

Bill Peterson had previously coached 11 years at Florida State and one year at Rice University in Houston prior to being named head coach by owner K. S. (Bud) Adams to begin the 1972 season. Bill was eccentric and was known for saying goofy things and Bud Adams was an owner who had little personality and humor. Before taking the team to Tennessee, Bud was never popular in Houston. Nevertheless, with his coach and his "sayings" and Bud with little humor, it was not surprising he sent Coach Peterson on his way after winning only 1 game in 19.

At Florida State, Bill told a reporter:

"It's a unique camp with unique experiences. We do a lot of little things you see with a top division club, whether it is the decorations in the locker room or each kid getting their own uniform".

Also at Florida State he told the team, "you guys have to run a little more than full speed out there"; "wherever you are - be all there"; "lead us in a few words of silent prayer".

There were others but now I will fast forward to the Oilers:

"If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging".

"Men, I want you thinking of only one word all season - Super Bowl".

"I'm the football coach around here and don't you remember it".

"I'm not surprised that Dallas is starting five non-regulars against us. I know I would do it if in Tom Landry's position. In fact, I would like to be playing against Houston myself".

When asked if he thought it would rain the day of the game, he responded, "how would I know, I am not a geologist".

"The greatest thing just happened to me. I just got indicted into the Florida Sports Hall of Fame. They had a standing observation for me".

"I used to have this slight speech implement and couldn't remember things until I took the Sam Carnegie course".

Two of my all-time favorites:

"I want you guys to pair up in groups of three and then line up in a circle".

For the Oilers team picture he stated, "you guys line up alphabetically by height".

Bill had a couple of biblical sayings which I will share later in the thread.

I wish everyone well with their picks.

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

That is very good... biggrin laughing

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: We experienced the terrible tragedy of losing a player from the "practice squad" while ...

--hide--

It was a terrible tragedy and could have and should have been avoided.Unfortunately,sometimes men will be boys and these foolish choices have DIRE consequences.

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) MaryAnne-458794 said: Da Bucs will get em next week and go Giants
(Quote) MaryAnne-458794 said:

Da Bucs will get em next week and go Giants

--hide--

Welcome back,MaryAnne!

Dec 11th 2012 new

Upset Specials: Week 15.

Vikings over Rams.

Cowboys over Steelers.

Panthers over Chargers.

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Welcome back,MaryAnne!
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Welcome back,MaryAnne!

--hide--

Thanks Gerard, but tis just for the free week of posting:(

Posts 31 - 40 of 125