Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Not sure if this one goes here!
I have a friend who was not a practicing Catholic. So she met this Christian group, and now she really got drawn into it. Like talks and worship.
It looks like she has a good time, well mostly with older mothers (Since she's divorced, has a baby, and is 29 yrs old).
I can never find a Catholic youth group in my hometown, the ones I find are mostly "upper-class social time Catholic groups". So that's why I'm just not joining one.
But my question is, is it really bad to go to a Christian group? Aren't you in danger to get converted to another practice?

What do you think??

11/28/2012 new

You're only as susceptable to being drawn away from our Faith as you allow yourself to be. If your faith isn't strong groups like these present you with a great deal of potential hazzards.

What you have to remember about these "Christian" groups is that they are all centered in Protestantism. Protestantism largely predicates itself on secularism while dancing on the fringes of true faith. The appeal of the secular aspects of these Protestant faiths is what make them so attractive to Catholics who are weak in their own faith - as appears to be the case with your friend - because they present themselves as a legitimate alternative to the Catholic faith which, as you know, are not.

If your Catholic faith is paramount to you and your life then it's best to just stay away from these types of groups. They largely exist only to recruit converts, even if it isn't explicitly stated. Even if you don't believe you could be converted, just the fact that the "talks" and "worship" that you would be participating in would not be rooted in the scriptures and teachings of our faith, you still leave yourself vulnerable to being led astray.

All things being equal, even though not exact the most desirable option, staying with the available Catholic groups will serve you much better over the long term, despite your misgivings.

God bless.

theheart

11/29/2012 new

Alma Rosa - Try Opus Dei.

12/08/2012 new

(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Not sure if this one goes here!I have a friend who was not a practicing Catholic. So she ...
(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said:

I have a friend who was not a practicing Catholic. So she met this Christian group, and now she really got drawn into it. Like talks and worship.
It looks like she has a good time, well mostly with older mothers (Since she's divorced, has a baby, and is 29 yrs old).
I can never find a Catholic youth group in my hometown, the ones I find are mostly "upper-class social time Catholic groups". So that's why I'm just not joining one.
But my question is, is it really bad to go to a Christian group? Aren't you in danger to get converted to another practice?

What do you think??

--hide--
In spite of what some fundamentalists preach, there is no "Catholic or Christian." Catholicism is the true Christian faith.

12/08/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: In spite of what some fundamentalists preach, there is no "Catholic or Christian.&q...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

In spite of what some fundamentalists preach, there is no "Catholic or Christian." Catholicism is the true Christian faith.

--hide--
Keep in mind, Peter, that Catholics are Christians -- believers and followers of Christ.

12/08/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Keep in mind, Peter, that Catholics are Christians -- believers and followers of Christ.
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Keep in mind, Peter, that Catholics are Christians -- believers and followers of Christ.

--hide--
Ray, your response confuses me- that is precisely what I was trying to get across albeit not as well as you did. Just pointing out that some Protestants believe that Catholics are not Christians. No argument here.

12/08/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Ray, your response confuses me- that is precisely what I was trying to get across albeit not as w...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Ray, your response confuses me- that is precisely what I was trying to get across albeit not as well as you did. Just pointing out that some Protestants believe that Catholics are not Christians. No argument here.

--hide--
OK, Peter -- I guess I wasn't sure what you meant in your previous post. You're right about some people of other faith not realizing or believing that Catholics are Christians. There's an awful lot of misunderstanding and misinformation out there.

12/08/2012 new
(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Not sure if this one goes here!I have a friend who was not a practicing Catholic. So she met this Chris...

What do you think??

--hide--

Alma Rose,

Many non Catholic christians hate the Catholic Faith (not all) and pride themselves on enticing weak Catholics away from our church by showering them with love and attention. And many get sucked in. It seems to me that some make that their mission.

My best friend who was a devout Catholic, while going through a crisis within our church, was lured away by a Christian church group. They catered to her hand and foot, especially since she is a single mother and needed help, and she got sucked in. She has now turned against the Catholic Church. I am Godmother to two of her children. I made a vow to God at their baptisms to help guide my Godchildren in the Catholic faith. Where does that leave me and my vow? Where does that leave her children who are now confused?

Please stay withing the Catholic Church and try to get your friend back.
12/11/2012 new

thank you Joe! I'll follow your advice :)

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Alma Rosa-704356 said: Not sure if this one goes here!I have a friend who was not a practicing Catholic. So she ...

What do you think??

--hide--

Be careful. It is important to be well grounded in your Catholic faith and not easily swayed. For instance, I have a female friend who happens to be a Lutheran pastor, who at times, adds comments that would undermine others who are not sure of their Catholicism. You could always start your own Catholic women group for a monthly group. I know of those that have been doing this for years. Taking turns meeting in each others homes.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10