Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

12/11/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/12/lets-give-chivalry-another-chance/266085/
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

www.theatlantic.com

--hide--
Hi Peter,

I read your article in The Atlantic and I hope that chivalry is not dying. Some women may be offended
by behavior that makes them feel less of an equal but this girl LIKES to be treated like a lady, respected
for who I am, and protected. When I was a young girl and my Dad and I would go out to breakfast on
Thursdays, he would always walk on the side toward the street. He said if any man walked on the inside,
he was not a gentleman. I remembered those few words. He would hold my hand when we crossed the
street even when I was in my 20's and would put his arm around my shoulder when he felt we were too
crowded to protect me from being bumped. All those subtle acts of chivalry did not go unnoticed even to
this young girl.

When a man of any age opens the door for me, I say "How gallant of you. Thank you." I like it when my
brother-in-law to be opens the door for me and sees me inside the car, then my sister all with a smile
on his face before he gets in the car. He feels it is his duty as a man to see us safe. Again, I LIKE that!

When my boys were young, I tried to teach them that kind of respect. My oldest always tells me how many
compliments he gets especially from older women on his kindness. Over Thanksgiving, I watched him make
sure his girlfriend had all her food on her plate before he would serve himself. I taught them to offer their
seat to a woman on a bus or van so that lady would not have to stand while they sat.

Wow, Peter, you have opened my eyes. The last part of that article about that movie theater disaster was
very touching. That those three men would throw their bodies over their girlfriends to protect them and
lose their lives was the epitome of heroism but also chivalry to the max.

Alot of us older girls enjoy a little or alot of chivalry.shhh wink rose

12/11/2012 new

I think the most significant part of this article is where it says that men do not know how to act anymore. Chivalry can be looked upon as sexist and the woman may not appreciate or like it.

To those men who wonder, if you believe in chivalry, then, absolutely, BE CHIVALROUS, in whatever means that you believe in. I don't understand why there is so much question about this - it's all about WHO YOU ARE. Wouldn't you be happier with someone who appreciated your kind gestures, than someone who shot down the very part of you that makes you a manly man?

For the record, chivalry is something I absolutely require in a relationship - I guess that is why I am still single - it's such a rarity nowadays!

12/11/2012 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Peter, I read your article in The Atlantic and I hope that chivalry is not dying. Som...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Hi Peter,

I read your article in The Atlantic and I hope that chivalry is not dying. Some women may be offended
by behavior that makes them feel less of an equal but this girl LIKES to be treated like a lady, respected
for who I am, and protected. When I was a young girl and my Dad and I would go out to breakfast on
Thursdays, he would always walk on the side toward the street. He said if any man walked on the inside,
he was not a gentleman. I remembered those few words. He would hold my hand when we crossed the
street even when I was in my 20's and would put his arm around my shoulder when he felt we were too
crowded to protect me from being bumped. All those subtle acts of chivalry did not go unnoticed even to
this young girl.

When a man of any age opens the door for me, I say "How gallant of you. Thank you." I like it when my
brother-in-law to be opens the door for me and sees me inside the car, then my sister all with a smile
on his face before he gets in the car. He feels it is his duty as a man to see us safe. Again, I LIKE that!

When my boys were young, I tried to teach them that kind of respect. My oldest always tells me how many
compliments he gets especially from older women on his kindness. Over Thanksgiving, I watched him make
sure his girlfriend had all her food on her plate before he would serve himself. I taught them to offer their
seat to a woman on a bus or van so that lady would not have to stand while they sat.

Wow, Peter, you have opened my eyes. The last part of that article about that movie theater disaster was
very touching. That those three men would throw their bodies over their girlfriends to protect them and
lose their lives was the epitome of heroism but also chivalry to the max.

Alot of us older girls enjoy a little or alot of chivalry.

--hide--
Eileen, lets hope there are plenty of eligible chivalrous guys for you here, and if not perhaps they'll read the article! laughing knight-errant

12/11/2012 new

(Quote) Michelle-50109 said: I think the most significant part of this article is where it says that men do not know how to ...
(Quote) Michelle-50109 said:

I think the most significant part of this article is where it says that men do not know how to act anymore. Chivalry can be looked upon as sexist and the woman may not appreciate or like it.

To those men who wonder, if you believe in chivalry, then, absolutely, BE CHIVALROUS, in whatever means that you believe in. I don't understand why there is so much question about this - it's all about WHO YOU ARE. Wouldn't you be happier with someone who appreciated your kind gestures, than someone who shot down the very part of you that makes you a manly man?

For the record, chivalry is something I absolutely require in a relationship - I guess that is why I am still single - it's such a rarity nowadays!

--hide--
Michelle, the only eligible guys I know here in Maryland are waaaaaay too old for you! I think with a wee bit of luck and the Grace of the Man Upstairs, you'll find a very lucky guy here on CM! theheart

12/11/2012 new

Chivalry is certainly NOT dying!! I have been told by women I have dated that I am a true gentleman. Plus, I see acts of chivalry everyday at my job, whether it's a man offering his jacket to his cold lady or someone holding a door open for another person. I think these acts often get overlooked by the more impolite things.

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/12/lets-give-chivalry-another-chance/266085/
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

www.theatlantic.com

--hide--

IMHO,......... yup. Women just don't want it anymore. Since "they can do anything a man can do" to quote from another thread, "they don't need us anymore". So, why would they want chivalry?

Posts 1 - 7 of 7