Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Michigan is seeing large protests over the "Right to Work" changes in their state.

Many states already have "Right to Work," allowing those not belonging to
unions the opportunity to make money.

Unions are very strong entities and some have communist affliations. As in
the case of unions in the public sector, they can have a huge impact, especially
if they decide to strike, which can be against the law.

I know opinions are divided on this issue. What are your thoughts?

Dec 11th 2012 new

I have to problems with Right to Work laws.

People should be free to join the union and leave when they want to. They should also be free to negotiate their own employment terms.

I

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) David-71657 said: I have to problems with Right to Work laws. People should be free to join the union and lea...
(Quote) David-71657 said:

People should be free to join the union and leave when they want to. They should also be free to negotiate their own employment terms.

I

--hide--

Would people get as good terms negotiating by themselves?

If people were not in the union, and they worked alongside union members, they may not need to
make as much money, because they will not have to pay union dues, or contribute to the unions like
the other workers. They may be good.

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Would people get as good terms negotiating by themselves?If people were not in...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Would people get as good terms negotiating by themselves?

If people were not in the union, and they worked alongside union members, they may not need to
make as much money, because they will not have to pay union dues, or contribute to the unions like
the other workers. They may be good.

--hide--

Depends on their ability to negotiate. Can the person convince me that they can do their job well and be more profitable than a union person?

Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) David-71657 said: Depends on their ability to negotiate. Can the person convince me that they can ...

Depends on their ability to negotiate. Can the person convince me that they can do their job well and be more profitable than a union person?

--hide--

Negotiating skills are a special set of skills. People may not have them. I don't think I would have them.

Dec 11th 2012 new
(Quote) David-71657 said: I have to problems with Right to Work laws. People should be free to join the union and leave wh...

I

--hide--

How would a Right to Work law prevent someone from joining or leaving any union? My understanding of these laws it that they simply take away the teeth that unions have to force the terms of their agreements on non-union workers.
Dec 12th 2012 new

(Quote) David-71657 said: Depends on their ability to negotiate. Can the person convince me that they can ...

--hide--

Well, I work by myself and for myself. I was recently told that if a local union shop had been on that particular job, they wouls have had 10 people manning it, and another guy added that they would be getting half as much done. Perhaps an exaggeration and a good laugh, but I have been on both sides and seen productivity, quality of work and work ethics. there's the good, bad and ugly on both sides. Unions had their place but have since run amock with their power.

The Right to Work Laws simply allow workers to choose weather they want to join a union or not. With out it, they either join a union or don't work (in their particular trade) Just look at what is happening in Michigan. The union worker's attitude is "Agree with us or we will beat the XX@#%&&%%##@ out of you!!!"

newsbusters.org

Really makes you want to join them boggled

Dec 12th 2012 new

(Quote) David-71657 said: I have to problems with Right to Work laws. People should be free to join the union and lea...

I

--hide--
I haven't been following this much except to see how violent the leftist liberals in the unions get....liberals are the meanest, violent, vulgar people around and always get a free pass...some of the people that attacked the tent had knives on them too.

At any rate, it is my understanding form what I've heard, if I am right, that this law is meant to protect what should be free people in a free country from being forced to join and pay union dues....disgusting that this can happen in what is supposed to be a free country anyway. Unions have become so powerful and so destructive....I am so glad that MI passed this. I am also really suprised considering how liberal the state's citizenship is.

At any rate, thank God one more state realized free people should be free to choose whether they want to be in a union.

Dec 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: (Quote) David-71657 said: I have to problems with Right to Work laws. Pe...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:
Quote:
David-71657 said:

I

How would a Right to Work law prevent someone from joining or leaving any union? My understanding of these laws it that they simply take away the teeth that unions have to force the terms of their agreements on non-union workers.

--hide--

Today, individuals in union states don't have a choice when they hire on to a company. If a business location is a union jobsite, any new employee must become part of the union and be forced to pay dues as part of the employment agreement. The individual can choose not to be an "active" participant, but his/her wages are garnered regardless. In addition, in some states, local businesses and governments are forced to only accept union bid contracts as a result of union lobbying efforts which limits the ability of small businesses to compete in new contract proposals.

It's not so much that right to work laws take away a union's ability to force terms on non-union members. If a business works out a contract with a union, all employees (minus the executives) whether union or not, abide by the same pay scale. What it does accomplish is to allow a business to increase or reduce its workforce as required, bringing in new talent at either the low or high end of the negotiated salary level without union consent to meet business demands. Non-union members assume the risk of being the first in line to be laid off in a down turn in exchange for not paying union dues, but they are also free to return to work at current wages during a work stoppage without retribution from the union.

It also allows the state governments to accept bids from non-union organizations for specific trades, and instead requires businesses to submit proposals based on industry accepted certifications, resulting in increased competition.

Dec 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: Today, individuals in union states don't have a choice when they hire on to a com...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Today, individuals in union states don't have a choice when they hire on to a company. If a business location is a union jobsite, any new employee must become part of the union and be forced to pay dues as part of the employment agreement. The individual can choose not to be an "active" participant, but his/her wages are garnered regardless. In addition, in some states, local businesses and governments are forced to only accept union bid contracts as a result of union lobbying efforts which limits the ability of small businesses to compete in new contract proposals.

It's not so much that right to work laws take away a union's ability to force terms on non-union members. If a business works out a contract with a union, all employees (minus the executives) whether union or not, abide by the same pay scale. What it does accomplish is to allow a business to increase or reduce its workforce as required, bringing in new talent at either the low or high end of the negotiated salary level without union consent to meet business demands. Non-union members assume the risk of being the first in line to be laid off in a down turn in exchange for not paying union dues, but they are also free to return to work at current wages during a work stoppage without retribution from the unio

It also allows the state governments to accept bids from non-union organizations for specific trades, and instead requires businesses to submit proposals based on industry accepted certifications, resulting in increased competition.

--hide--
...hmmm....interesting. I wonder then if under the new law, people will still feel intimidated into joining anyway especially if they can still be the first ones cut if they don't. I'm so glad that they legally won't be able to be forced into joining, but I hope that they still won't be intimidated into joining.

Also, did everyone notice how the president since dems are widely supported by unions didn't support this freedom bill....figures.

Posts 1 - 10 of 45