Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dec 12th 2012 new

(Quote) MM-865909 said:
(Quote) MM-865909 said:
--hide--
First, a belated welcome to the forums! I think many enjoy giving gifts in honor of the Christ Child, but you're right, there is still much selfishness during this Christmas season. In our Knights of Columbus council, we have our "Keep Christ in Christmas" car magnets to remind folks what it's all about.

Dec 12th 2012 new
Thank you for taking the question seriously. It's a deep one to reflect on and consider it's truth. I've seen the magnets you spoke of. it's like the one that says -Jesus is the reason for the season. Unfortunately somehow they seem like a TV sound bite. You know like a commercial. ...for me they don't quite transmit awe and wonder and joy as well as the cross but if it makes one stop and think a bit that's something. PS One of my dear friend's husband is a Knight- a head honcho, don't know his correct title sorry :)

Dec 12th 2012 new

Giving and receiving presents, with the right attitude, can be a present to Jesus.

Alas, the right attitude is far from common in this day and age

Dec 12th 2012 new

Welcome to CM Forums.. I just did some research and sited the source below... I think this is a good summary..

Jesus's birth is God's greatest gift to us.. I think the Love we can share for others is pleasing to Him.. so that is why I buy gifts for family and friends and even donate to those in need that I don't even know.. The Spirit of Christmas is Peace, Love and Joy..

May we find room in our heart to spread some this Christmastime ... Praying rosary theheart Kathleen

Why Do We Give Gifts at Christmas?

It is hard to imagine celbrating Christmas in the modern world without thinking about giving gifts. But, have you ever thought to yourself, “Why do we give gifts at Christmas?” In some ways, the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas is a very ancient tradition. In other ways, giving gifts at Christmas is a relatively new development, as well.

In the Christian religion, the practice of giving gifts at Christmas is traced back to the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh that were given to the Christ child by the three Magi. The magi were kings from the East, wise men who traveled a great distance following a star, to find the Christ child and to bring him gifts. The visit of the Magi to the Christ child was originally celebrated on the Feast of Epiphany on January 6th. Over time, the tradition of giving gifts came to be more associated with Christmas than with Epiphany. It is the time from Christmas to Epiphany in the Church calendar – from December 25th through January 6th – that is recognized as the “twelve days of Christmas” from the old Christmas carol.

To be certain, the ancient Church did not “celebrate” Christmas as much as it “observed” Christmas as a holy day. It wasn’t really until the modern era. The tradition of giving gifts to loved ones at Christmas became more and more popular as the middle ages ended and the modern era began. Various countries and peoples began to make gift-giving a regular part of the holy day (or “holiday”) over a period of time. By the time the Americas were settled, giving gifts at Christmas was practiced by many of the settlers. The early Dutch settlers to America introduced St. Nicholas, or Santa Claus, to the new world. The early French and English settlers, in contrast, were more likely to give gifts at New Year’s or at Epiphany.

Ultimately, a common Christmas culture developed in which gifts were given on Christmas. In the nineteenth century, the idea of gift giving took on new dimensions, as the works of O. Henry, Charles Dickens, and Thomas Nast all helped to shape our concepts of Santa Claus and other aspects of the holiday.

Today, we all give gifts at Christmas for our own reasons. For some, it is a way to celebrate the Christian holy day. For others, it is a special time to let family and friends know that you care by giving gifts. At times, giving gifts at Christmas becomes almost mechanical, and a chore; when this happens, it is worth stepping aside for a few moments to consider why exactly you give gifts at Christmas.

www.thelaboroflove.com

Dec 13th 2012 new
Yes Jerry, attitudes are always important and in this case add our Faith and beliefs as well. Pax
Dec 13th 2012 new

Kathleen, what a nice presentation of culturally historical traditions of present giving, thank you. I like "Jesus's birth is God's greatest gift to us..." that statement ever so very much.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7