Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Hi, I believe that we (as a nation) are being called to do something for these families and children in Newtown.

I think there should be a peacemakers solution to this - that both sides should be able to embrace.

I think we should require the gun industry to put some technology into these guns so they aren't so stupid. The users don't build these hand guns.

The gun industry can put technology into these hand guns - if the target contains a small body or no weapon the gun should be disabled.

(I don't know if someone has better idea - but we are being called to do something that can work across the board. I posted this a few other places to see if it gets a go somewhere. )

What do you think?

Dec 15th 2012 new
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Hi, I believe that we (as a nation) are being called to do something for these families and children in Newtow...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Hi, I believe that we (as a nation) are being called to do something for these families and children in Newtown.

I think there should be a peacemakers solution to this - that both sides should be able to embrace.

I think we should require the gun industry to put some technology into these guns so they aren't so stupid. The users don't build these hand guns.

The gun industry can put technology into these hand guns - if the target contains a small body or no weapon the gun should be disabled.

(I don't know if someone has better idea - but we are being called to do something that can work across the board. I posted this a few other places to see if it gets a go somewhere. )

What do you think?

--hide--

That sort of technology wouldn't be practical nor desirable. It's just one more thing to go wrong when a gun is needed or used for legitimate purposes.

Morgan Freeman apparently commented on the tragedy this week. As far as I can tell, this quote is legit, and I think it's the best commentary I've heard yet on the tragedy.

"You want to know why [these events happen]. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
Dec 15th 2012 new
(Quote) Charles-512043 said: That sort of technology wouldn't be practical nor desirable. It's just one more thing to go wron...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

That sort of technology wouldn't be practical nor desirable. It's just one more thing to go wrong when a gun is needed or used for legitimate purposes.

Morgan Freeman apparently commented on the tragedy this week. As far as I can tell, this quote is legit, and I think it's the best commentary I've heard yet on the tragedy.

"You want to know why [these events happen]. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
--hide--

www.examiner.com
Dec 15th 2012 new

I was discussing this w/ a guy friend today. He's a gun enthusiast, but we think Schools could place an armed guard, perhaps local police, at all the schools - yes, quite an investment.

Keep in mind the local Newton Police responded quickly, but 26 died in the short time Lanza used his assault rifle.

If there had been an armed guard, perhaps Lanza couldn't have forced his way into the school. Even if Lanza killed a hypothetical armed guard, the guard could have notified police help quicker, which should have minimized any fatalities.

Dec 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Hi, I believe that we (as a nation) are being called to do something for these families and chil...

What do you think?

--hide--

The technology that you are talking about doesn't exist. Not in something that can be put into a rifle or a pistol. And even then it would be problematic. A criminal would no doubt easily disable it. When you get right down to it, it really isn't that hard to make a round of ammunition fire if you really want it to.

If we really want to do something about this, we should probably come up with a better way of detecting and treating mental illnesses.

Dec 15th 2012 new

I disagree. Just because we don't yet utilize the technology is not an excuse. And if it is disabled - it should be made so some missing parts are in the barrel.

Smart phones are here - now its time for smart guns.

And since many guns are stolen, legal buyers would purchase one that is safe to have around their children.

Dec 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: That sort of technology wouldn't be practical nor desirable. It's just one more thing ...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

--hide--

I saw that earlier today. I think there's a lot of truth in it.

Dec 15th 2012 new

Charles, if you call yourself prolife and Catholic like I. You better start thinking of a real solution or somehow 5 or 6 yr. olds don't count. Cause I'll tell ya - the media - it ain't going away - unless you think the internet is dying tomorrow.

Dec 15th 2012 new
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I disagree. Just because we don't yet utilize the technology is not an excuse. And if it is disabled - i...

I disagree. Just because we don't yet utilize the technology is not an excuse. And if it is disabled - it should be made so some missing parts are in the barrel.

Smart phones are here - now its time for smart guns.

And since many guns are stolen, legal buyers would purchase one that is safe to have around their children.

--hide--

If you've ever used or become familiar with a gun, you'll know just how impractical this is. When it comes down to it, a gun is a very simple mechanism. Saying that you could have a "smart gun" is like saying that you could have a "smart hammer" or a "smart knife". There are many countries whose gun laws are just as lenient as ours, yet they don't experience the rate of gun crimes that we do. This isn't a gun problem...this is a culture problem.
Dec 16th 2012 new

We do have smart hammers :) It is a gun problem. If a mentally ill 20 yr. old walked into a school - two women and 20 little children could take him down.

Posts 1 - 10 of 169