Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Gun control laws

12/17/2012 new
After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
12/17/2012 new

I have to say, Tom, that in Connecticut the guy may have gotten in through a window. I heard that at the beginning.
I guess metal detactors are good for some things.

12/17/2012 new

I think some of the gun control laws got "us" into this mess. Please see my first post in Marianne's thread...

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--
It's difficult, if not impossible, to enforce the laws that already are on the books. Would additional laws help? Probably not -- there are over 300 million known guns in the hands of US citizens.

Obama has assured the country that measures will be taken -- much easier said than done.

Connecticut? Here was have an example of legally purchased and registered guns (to our knowledge, thus far). Apparently they were not kept in a secure manner to as to prevent unwarranted access to the guns and ammunition.

Metal detectors in schools? They can be defeated. What I wonder about is having these measures taken. Are we becomming prisoners because of abuse of freedom? Freedom has been too often thought of in terms of doing what you want to do. No, it's not. It's the freedom to do what is right (the responsibility angle). It's a sad commentary about our society when we go into government buildings and be scanned from head to toe; same with airports. Are we going to see boarded windows in schools now? Bullet-resistive glass everywhere? At what cost? Violence is no stranger to society -- it's a matter of extent and degree. Will it ever end? Not likely. Just ask Jesus.

Despite all of the assurances that something must and will be done after these occurrences, things remain the same. There is no really good answer to the problem. Even more education about weapons won't cut it. If a person snaps, he/she isn't likely to be thinking about the NRA safety course.

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

Leave out the metal detectors; many schools have them anyways. The school at Newton was a "gun free" zone with best of practice lock down and "security." December 13 showed that to be a failure.

The Virginia Gun Owner's Coalition has a better idea. lesfemmes-thetruth.blogspot.com

Yesterday's tragedy in Connecticut left us all breathless as we mourned with the families of the innocent children along with the school faculty who were gunned down by an evil murderer. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the dozens of families who have empty beds in their homes tonight as a result of the evil which has impacted their lives. As a person who has friends who were impacted by the shooting at Virginia Tech, these incidents anger me greatly. They anger me because they do not have to occur. Look at Israel, for example. Israel never has school shootings, while an average of twenty mass shootings occur in America every year. What is the difference? Israel doesn't have "gun-free" zones. Israeli teachers carry firearms and know how to use them. If the four adults who were heartlessly murdered in the principal's office in Connecticut had been allowed to carry concealed firearms they may have been able to stop the killer before he murdered another twenty innocent children. In light of this, VGOC will be seeking a sponsor for a new law which will allow school teachers to carry concealed firearms which would provide a first line of defense in schools before a shooter has the opportunity to murder as many helpless students as we saw yesterday. Stay tuned for more details on our "Students Protection Act" and legislative sponsor developments.

12/17/2012 new

Bring back prayer and the pledge of allegiance back into the school there would be lot less violence .

12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: In light of this, VGOC will be seeking a sponsor for a new law ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

In light of this, VGOC will be seeking a sponsor for a new law which will allow school teachers to carry concealed firearms which would provide a first line of defense in schools before a shooter has the opportunity to murder as many helpless students as we saw yesterday. Stay tuned for more details on our "Students Protection Act" and legislative sponsor developments.

--hide--

This is coming up in Minnesota as well. Gov. Dayton (D) is certainly not a fan of the idea and with an all Democrat legislature, there's no way it will happen in MN unless passed down from the feds.

minnesota.cbslocal.com

What do you think of teachers being armed in the classroom? What about other school staff?

12/17/2012 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I have to say, Tom, that in Connecticut the guy may have gotten in through a window. I heard that at the be...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I have to say, Tom, that in Connecticut the guy may have gotten in through a window. I heard that at the beginning.
I guess metal detactors are good for some things.

--hide--

the window he went through was attached to the front door, if I understood correctly. If this is true, he walked right by the metal detector (if it existed). Whether or not he broke a window, to open a door, or just crawl through, either way the metal detector would not help. It got bypassed, by forceul intent. The next suggestion?? Armed guards, teachers and other personnel may help, but where does it stop? Why are people allowed to have weapons in the home, that are way more than necessary for self defense. An assault rifle of the nature they had was just way too much. Guns of the nature this lady had need to be kept in gun clubs, if at all, and not in the home.
12/17/2012 new
(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Leave out the metal detectors; many schools have them anyways.
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Leave out the metal detectors; many schools have them anyways.

--hide--
Re: Metal detectors: I don't believe "many schools have them anyway". Without pulling up statistics, I would guess the great majority of schools do not have metal detectors.

It is reasonable for schools to consider (select) teachers (or the principal) (after exceptional and continued training) to have concealed weapons in key secure location(s). The problem here lies in liability, pragmatics, and necessary skill level. Unsure how many teachers would be willing to take on that liability/responsibility/risk. Carrying concealed weapons in high risk classrooms could spell disaster in certain scenarios.

This is a wake up call for every school to do their own soul-searching and be open to new and diverse ideas. At a minimum, sadly enough in this time in history, schools need much more restricted check in procedures, security systems with tv monitoring, and an armed security guard(s) on site.
12/17/2012 new

(Quote) Chris-280015 said: the window he went through was attached to the front door, if I understood correctly. If this is...
(Quote) Chris-280015 said:

the window he went through was attached to the front door, if I understood correctly. If this is true, he walked right by the metal detector (if it existed). Whether or not he broke a window, to open a door, or just crawl through, either way the metal detector would not help. It got bypassed, by forceul intent. The next suggestion?? Armed guards, teachers and other personnel may help, but where does it stop? Why are people allowed to have weapons in the home, that are way more than necessary for self defense. An assault rifle of the nature they had was just way too much. Guns of the nature this lady had need to be kept in gun clubs, if at all, and not in the home.
--hide--

Well, with common sense and repentence. That's about it.

A large part of the later could come from the realization that when the Founding Fathers spoke of a "well regulated militia," they meant us. We are the militia.

Posts 1 - 10 of 200