Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dear Teachers

Dec 17th 2012 new

Dear Teachers and School Staff,

What was your day like? Soon we will have our Christmas celebration, but the loss makes my heart very heavy so I wanted to post this thread to check in with the rest of you.

I am a Teaching Assistant at a little Catholic school and I very literally felt grief knotted in my stomach as I went in this morning. Almost immediately students started approaching me - "Did you hear, did you hear...?" and some needed hugs. Their anxiety was ramped up, as well as the anxiety of the staff as we reviewed lock-down procedures. Very soon, though, we held our Advent prayer service and lit the Gaudete candle. "How can we rejoice? How can any sense be made of this?" one teacher asked. "It's simple," another responded and pointed to the soft glow of the candles. "Christ is our Light." Somehow that Light seems more poignantly needed than ever before. He is near, He is in our midst, even now.

theheart

Dec 18th 2012 new
Everyone was a little bit jumpy today. A handful of teachers kept their doors locked the whole day. One of my 5th graders came to his band lesson today saying that he was nervous. I had to reassure him that it was an isolated incident and that he was safe. My mind kept shifting to it....especially when I was around the Kindergarteners and 1st graders. I think it will just take some time...
Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-622151 said: Everyone was a little bit jumpy today. A handful of teachers kept their doors locked the whole day. One...
(Quote) Andrea-622151 said: Everyone was a little bit jumpy today. A handful of teachers kept their doors locked the whole day. One of my 5th graders came to his band lesson today saying that he was nervous. I had to reassure him that it was an isolated incident and that he was safe. My mind kept shifting to it....especially when I was around the Kindergarteners and 1st graders. I think it will just take some time...
--hide--

Our students dressed in white and green today, Sandy Hook's school colors, to honor them. My principal gave the following to the teachers and staff, and I pass it on to you:

T'was 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38 when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.

Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
They were filled with such joy; they didn't know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.

“Where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
“This is heaven" declared a small boy. "We’re spending Christmas at God's house.”

When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.

Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
And in that moment was joy that only heaven can bring,
those children all flew into the arms of their King.
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.

And as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
Then He looked down on earth, the world far below,
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe.

Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!

“May this country be delivered from the hands of fools
“I’m taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
Then He and the children stood up without a sound.

“Come now my children let me show you around."

Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran,
All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
“In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."
Dec 19th 2012 new
I'm praying for everyone who've been touched by what happend last week at Sandy Hook elementary.
Dec 19th 2012 new
(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Dear Teachers and School Staff, What was your day like? Soon we will have our Christmas celebrat...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

What was your day like? Soon we will have our Christmas celebration, but the loss makes my heart very heavy so I wanted to post this thread to check in with the rest of you.

I am a Teaching Assistant at a little Catholic school and I very literally felt grief knotted in my stomach as I went in this morning. Almost immediately students started approaching me - "Did you hear, did you hear...?" and some needed hugs. Their anxiety was ramped up, as well as the anxiety of the staff as we reviewed lock-down procedures. Very soon, though, we held our Advent prayer service and lit the Gaudete candle. "How can we rejoice? How can any sense be made of this?" one teacher asked. "It's simple," another responded and pointed to the soft glow of the candles. "Christ is our Light." Somehow that Light seems more poignantly needed than ever before. He is near, He is in our midst, even now.

--hide--

My prayers are with all those affected. This loss has affected our teachers everywhere - last night talking to a teacher here and they had emergency meetings here to help students heal their memories.....
Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Dear Teachers and School Staff, What was your day like? Soon we will have our Christmas ce...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

--hide--
I'm a teacher here in Trinidad and Tobago.We are on vacation already but my heart goes out to you'll. hug

This will be a real Advent moment as you'll look and wait for God to comfort and heal during this period.May Christ come to all of you this Christmas season. theheart

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Sherrill-anne-13557 said: I'm a teacher here in Trinidad and Tobago.We are on vacation already but my heart goes...
(Quote) Sherrill-anne-13557 said:

I'm a teacher here in Trinidad and Tobago.We are on vacation already but my heart goes out to you'll.

This will be a real Advent moment as you'll look and wait for God to comfort and heal during this period.May Christ come to all of you this Christmas season.

--hide--

Thanks to all those who responded. Yes, it is truly a moment of Advent - to prepare, repent, and wait for the coming of our Savior.

A friend of mine reminded me of the great right and responsiblity we have to self-protection. For those of us who work with children every day, that responsibility rises a hundredfold. How we go about that is a conversation that this country, and each individual teacher and parent, will have to weigh carefully.

Dec 19th 2012 new

I just got my first teaching job. I'm actually still filling out the paperwork, but I'm really looking forward to it. The shooting just makes me want to teach even more... if we can plant good seeds then maybe that will grow, if we can just reach one kid in the right way maybe this type of thing won't happen again... Lord, be with them.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: I just got my first teaching job. I'm actually still filling out the paperwork, but I'm...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

I just got my first teaching job. I'm actually still filling out the paperwork, but I'm really looking forward to it. The shooting just makes me want to teach even more... if we can plant good seeds then maybe that will grow, if we can just reach one kid in the right way maybe this type of thing won't happen again... Lord, be with them.

--hide--

Congratulations. Jessica! And yes, you have the right spirit.

Dec 19th 2012 new

Due to a copy cat threat made against the district for which I work, we have been on alert all week, and had a practice lock down drill today..sad to have to do it at all, and especially before Christmas.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13