Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Pro-Life Discussion

Dec 17th 2012 new

Something I posted on Facebook led to a "conversation" about abortion with an acquaintance of mine. It has left me extremely disheartened. I try to have discussions about things without getting too "in your face" about it, and I always try to back up my opinions with facts. Also, I like to ask questions to get the other person to really think about their opinions. Well, those things made no difference yesterday! Some of the things that were said that made me feel so hopeless and heartbroken were:

"It's embarrassing that anyone finds abortion to be a 'national tragedy'"

"I'm sorry that you don't like abortion, and the he doesn't like abortion, but at the end of the day, it's not your concern what other people do." - this argument drives me CRAZY!

I said, "by day 22, the heart is beating with the child's own blood" and "By week 12, the baby can experience pain" and the response was: "I'd like to remind you that at week 12 it is not a baby - it's still legally defined as a fetus." (Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess)

"All I have to say is, you believe what you want - but don't take away some other woman's opportunity." - abortion = woman's opportunity!?

"abortion is actually helping society." - this one KILLED me!!!! I'm sure you are wondering her reasoning, and of course, I asked her to explain: "Many women who get abortions are in low income brackets - they may have drug and alcohol problems, health concerns, or their spouse may have those problems. These are the same income levels that produce the majority of crime. When these women have children they're not ready for, these children grow up in unstable homes. Many have one parent, drug and alcohol problems by 13, access to guns and gangs, and are abused or see abuse. These are the kids that join gangs. As macabre as it sounds, abortion seems to be contributing to the decreasing crime rate in the US because less kids are being born into these environments."

I could really put more up here...this wasn't the end of it. I'm not even sure why I'm posting all of this. Maybe for support...maybe for more factual information that might help me talk to people like this....maybe just to ask you to never stop praying for an end to abortion....

Dec 17th 2012 new

Tell them to watch the following... and come back and tell you that what is being killed is less than a viable human being.

Part 1

www.youtube.com

Part 2

www.youtube.com

Part 3

www.youtube.com

theheart

Dec 18th 2012 new

Oh, I just thought of this! When she kept giving me the government's definition of life, I could have told her that when someone close to her miscarries, she can comfort them by saying, "It was just a fetus." I can't wrap my head around how those who support abortion can separate wanted and unwanted children.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Oh, I just thought of this! When she kept giving me the government's definition of life, I co...
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said:

Oh, I just thought of this! When she kept giving me the government's definition of life, I could have told her that when someone close to her miscarries, she can comfort them by saying, "It was just a fetus." I can't wrap my head around how those who support abortion can separate wanted and unwanted children.

--hide--

All you need to know about the core purpose behind birth control and abortion can be learned from studying one person: Margaret Sanger

www.youtube.com

Her 60 Minutes interview with Mike Wallace in (I believe) 1959...

Part 1 - www.youtube.com

Part 2 - www.youtube.com

Part 3 - www.youtube.com

theheart

Dec 18th 2012 new

Thank you for all of the references! I will spend some time with them.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Something I posted on Facebook led to a "conversation" about abortion with an acquainta...

Something I posted on Facebook led to a "conversation" about abortion with an acquaintance of mine. It has left me extremely disheartened. I try to have discussions about things without getting too "in your face" about it, and I always try to back up my opinions with facts. Also, I like to ask questions to get the other person to really think about their opinions. Well, those things made no difference yesterday! Some of the things that were said that made me feel so hopeless and heartbroken were:

"It's embarrassing that anyone finds abortion to be a 'national tragedy'"

"I'm sorry that you don't like abortion, and the he doesn't like abortion, but at the end of the day, it's not your concern what other people do." - this argument drives me CRAZY!

I said, "by day 22, the heart is beating with the child's own blood" and "By week 12, the baby can experience pain" and the response was: "I'd like to remind you that at week 12 it is not a baby - it's still legally defined as a fetus." (Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess)

"All I have to say is, you believe what you want - but don't take away some other woman's opportunity." - abortion = woman's opportunity!?

"abortion is actually helping society." - this one KILLED me!!!! I'm sure you are wondering her reasoning, and of course, I asked her to explain: "Many women who get abortions are in low income brackets - they may have drug and alcohol problems, health concerns, or their spouse may have those problems. These are the same income levels that produce the majority of crime. When these women have children they're not ready for, these children grow up in unstable homes. Many have one parent, drug and alcohol problems by 13, access to guns and gangs, and are abused or see abuse. These are the kids that join gangs. As macabre as it sounds, abortion seems to be contributing to the decreasing crime rate in the US because less kids are being born into these environments."

I could really put more up here...this wasn't the end of it. I'm not even sure why I'm posting all of this. Maybe for support...maybe for more factual information that might help me talk to people like this....maybe just to ask you to never stop praying for an end to abortion....

--hide--
Yikes, Kelly -- no wonder we have such a mess. People have been brainwashed in their thinking -- education is sadly lacking. Organizations such as Planned Parenthood have perpetuated the myth about a fetus not being a human being, just being tissue or a blob....No wonder some people don't see the harm in abortion.

Keep fighting the good fight, Kelly, and you're right about continuing to pray.

From The Guttmacher Institute come the following statistics from their latest study conducted in 2008.

58% of the women having abortions were in their 20's

22% were in their 30's

85% were unmarried

29% of this 85% were cohabitationg

42% of the women were considered poor (Interesting because it indicates that 58% were NOT classified as poor, as your friends seem to think

Compared to their previous study conducted in 2000, women having abortions were less likely to be married or have a religious affiliation

They were, however, more likely to have a college degree compared to the year 2000. (Another hole in your friends' wacky theory.)

57% paid expenses out of pocket although 66% had some type of health insurance.

63% of that 57% paid out of pocket even though they had private health insurance. (Another indication that a good number of women weren't poverty stricken, considering they could pay for their own medical insurance.

Note that there are at least 15 scientific studies that conclude that life begins at conception (fertilization). The scientific evidence is mounting that what is being destroyed is in fact a human life.

What other people do IS your concern. If we are to remain a viable, responsible society, we will need to shape up morally. Even from a practical view, a certain birth rate must be maintained or else that society (country) is doomed. If not enough people are born, a country simply cannot be sustained.

If your friends are disinterested in what others do, ask them how they would like to be physically attacked or robbed. See if they are unconcerned about what others do in those scenarios. Their position is a cop-out.

We are now hearing about women's health. How healthy is an abortion for the baby? And what about the psychological damage to the woman. It seems that widespread problem gets swept under the rug and ignored by the pro-abortion groups.

Helping society? Duh.....or d'oh.....See above statistics. Even if what they said was true, eradicating lives won't solve the problems they list. Also consider that not everyone from this "group" will turn out to be a menace to society. There are many good people who have been born in poverty and managed to better themselves and become productive members of society. There's no way of knowing what kind of person is being destroyed. Even a percentage of people in what they would regard as a favorable "group" can end up committing crimes.

The statistics don't bear out what they are saying about what is truly a barbaric national tragedy.

There's another Youtube link -- 2 parts -- made by Gianna Jessen, an abortion survivor. Ask your friends what they think of her comments.

You're definitely NOT alone in your thinking; nor are your FB friends. The problem is to get them realize what's really happening.

youtu.be

youtu.be

If you've posted here for support, you certainly will have it from a number of CM members.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Yikes, Kelly -- no wonder we have such a mess. People have been brainwashed in their thinking -- ed...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Yikes, Kelly -- no wonder we have such a mess. People have been brainwashed in their thinking -- education is sadly lacking. Organizations such as Planned Parenthood have perpetuated the myth about a fetus not being a human being, just being tissue or a blob....No wonder some people don't see the harm in abortion.

Keep fighting the good fight, Kelly, and you're right about continuing to pray.

From The Guttmacher Institute come the following statistics from their latest study conducted in 2008.

58% of the women having abortions were in their 20's

22% were in their 30's

85% were unmarried

29% of this 85% were cohabitationg

42% of the women were considered poor (Interesting because it indicates that 58% were NOT classified as poor, as your friends seem to think

Compared to their previous study conducted in 2000, women having abortions were less likely to be married or have a religious affiliation

They were, however, more likely to have a college degree compared to the year 2000. (Another hole in your friends' wacky theory.)

57% paid expenses out of pocket although 66% had some type of health insurance.

63% of that 57% paid out of pocket even though they had private health insurance. (Another indication that a good number of women weren't poverty stricken, considering they could pay for their own medical insurance.

Note that there are at least 15 scientific studies that conclude that life begins at conception (fertilization). The scientific evidence is mounting that what is being destroyed is in fact a human life.

What other people do IS your concern. If we are to remain a viable, responsible society, we will need to shape up morally. Even from a practical view, a certain birth rate must be maintained or else that society (country) is doomed. If not enough people are born, a country simply cannot be sustained.

If your friends are disinterested in what others do, ask them how they would like to be physically attacked or robbed. See if they are unconcerned about what others do in those scenarios. Their position is a cop-out.

We are now hearing about women's health. How healthy is an abortion for the baby? And what about the psychological damage to the woman. It seems that widespread problem gets swept under the rug and ignored by the pro-abortion groups.

Helping society? Duh.....or d'oh.....See above statistics. Even if what they said was true, eradicating lives won't solve the problems they list. Also consider that not everyone from this "group" will turn out to be a menace to society. There are many good people who have been born in poverty and managed to better themselves and become productive members of society. There's no way of knowing what kind of person is being destroyed. Even a percentage of people in what they would regard as a favorable "group" can end up committing crimes.

The statistics don't bear out what they are saying about what is truly a barbaric national tragedy.

There's another Youtube link -- 2 parts -- made by Gianna Jessen, an abortion survivor. Ask your friends what they think of her comments.

You're definitely NOT alone in your thinking; nor are your FB friends. The problem is to get them realize what's really happening.

youtu.be

youtu.be

If you've posted here for support, you certainly will have it from a number of CM members.

--hide--

Thank you thank you thank you

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: "I'd like to remind you that at week 12 it is not a baby - it's still legally define...

"I'd like to remind you that at week 12 it is not a baby - it's still legally defined as a fetus."

--hide--

That's like saying an infant, a toddler, or a teenager is any less human because there is a specific label attached to their chronological age

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Thank you thank you thank you

Thank you thank you thank you

--hide--
No, Kelly -- we thank you for all of your efforts.... theheart angel hug

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Thank you for all of the references! I will spend some time with them.

Thank you for all of the references! I will spend some time with them.

--hide--

www.lifesitenews.com

Posts 1 - 10 of 22