Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dec 17th 2012 new

I like this, it is good and sadly funny.

Dec 17th 2012 new

funny! laughingThanks for that!

Dec 17th 2012 new
I thank God that we don't have any of this stuff in the Byzantine Church.
Dec 17th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I thank God that we don't have any of this stuff in the Byzantine Church.
(Quote) John-220051 said: I thank God that we don't have any of this stuff in the Byzantine Church.
--hide--

I have a question about the Byzantine churches -- my good friend changed to the Byzantine but her priest says he is not under the Pope! He told her each Byzantine Pope can decide if he is under the Pope or not -- she was totally shocked and unsure what to do -- is this anything you have heard or know to be true? or false? sorry -- I'm hijacking my own tread!

Dec 17th 2012 new

* sorry -- I meant to type each Byzantine priest can decide!!!*

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I have a question about the Byzantine churches -- my good friend changed to the Byz...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I have a question about the Byzantine churches -- my good friend changed to the Byzantine but her priest says he is not under the Pope! He told her each Byzantine Pope can decide if he is under the Pope or not -- she was totally shocked and unsure what to do -- is this anything you have heard or know to be true? or false? sorry -- I'm hijacking my own tread!

--hide--
The actual Byzantine Rite is just as Catholic as the Latin Rite (Roman Catholic). Its members are in full communion with the Pope and are under his authority as are the other Catholic Rites (about 20 more).

There are Byzantine Orthodox churches which follow Roman Catholicism closely with the primary difference being their lack of acceptance of the Pope as their spiritual leader. This is perhaps whre the confusion lies.

Was the priest you spoke to a member of the Byzantine Catholic Rite, or the Byzantine Orthodox Church?

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The actual Byzantine Rite is just as Catholic as the Latin Rite (Roman Catholic). Its members are i...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The actual Byzantine Rite is just as Catholic as the Latin Rite (Roman Catholic). Its members are in full communion with the Pope and are under his authority as are the other Catholic Rites (about 20 more).

There are Byzantine Orthodox churches which follow Roman Catholicism closely with the primary difference being their lack of acceptance of the Pope as their spiritual leader. This is perhaps whre the confusion lies.

Was the priest you spoke to a member of the Byzantine Catholic Rite, or the Byzantine Orthodox Church?

--hide--

My friend Theresa belongs to the church and spoke to her priest there -- he said he is not under the Pope -- it is a Byzantine Catholic church -- I've always wanted to attend Mass there to experience it but haven't because of what her priest said (and time restraints with kids and rel ed and teaching, etc)

Dec 18th 2012 new

www.thecatholicdirectory.com

this is the church

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: My friend Theresa belongs to the church and spoke to her priest there -- he said h...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

My friend Theresa belongs to the church and spoke to her priest there -- he said he is not under the Pope -- it is a Byzantine Catholic church -- I've always wanted to attend Mass there to experience it but haven't because of what her priest said (and time restraints with kids and rel ed and teaching, etc)

--hide--
Something doesn't sound right. Is it possible your friend misunderstood? There is a lot of confusion about the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches, and the Eastern Orthodox Churches. It confuses me, too.

A possibility for you would be to attend Mass at your regular Church, and another Mass at the Byzantine Church. If there's doubt that it's an actual Catholic Church, you should refrain from receiving Communion. You could also do some online searches about the Eastern Rite Churches.

Perhaps John, who has posted in this thread previously, can add some clarity. Jerry (one of the forum moderators) is very knowledgeable about all things Catholic and he might be able to shed some light on this.

Posts 1 - 10 of 12