Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Oct 10th 2012 new

Good evening to You Jerry. And that is the big question isn't it. But I don't have hours left for it tonight. But Good night.

Oct 12th 2012 new
(Quote) Bridget-676758 said: I don't think so. We are quiet and reverent when it is appropriate to be so. I think the misunde...
(Quote) Bridget-676758 said:

I don't think so. We are quiet and reverent when it is appropriate to be so. I think the misunderstanding is that in the New Mass the focus is taken away from our King and focuses on our neighbor which makes it impossible for me to concentrate on the reason for being there in teh first place. I can see where the misconception comes into play but we can be a loud obnoxious bunch too, we just don't do it at Mass :)

--hide--

Bridget, I resubscribed today (for one month only) because I enjoy reading your responses. They are, quite frankly, prolly one of the few, if not the only thing(s), I look forward to on Catholic Match these days. Keep up the good work.
Oct 12th 2012 new
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Bridget, I resubscribed today (for one month only) because I enjoy reading your responses. They are, quite ...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

Bridget, I resubscribed today (for one month only) because I enjoy reading your responses. They are, quite frankly, prolly one of the few, if not the only thing(s), I look forward to on Catholic Match these days. Keep up the good work.
--hide--
That's a very nice compliment Paul, thank you:)
Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-388330 said: All, As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion ...
(Quote) Jim-388330 said:

All,

As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion with someone before, and there seems to be an unfortunate stereotype that float around with the traditionalist label.

I've always viewed the Traditional Latin Mass to be an opportunity to give more time and prayer to our Lord such that we may hope to obtain special graces for our efforts, not only for ourselves, but for others as well. Does that mean I cannot at the same time employ my rather extraverted personality Have others seen this stereotype as well?

God bless,
Jim

--hide--

Yes, I have seen that but I refuse to bury my personality in that stereotypical mold. I do feel quite a bit different from many at the Latin Masses but, this is my God-given personality. It is gratifying though to see that once I let the real me show, others let that 'spunky' side of them show too. It is easy for a community to get caught up in a way of being and for members to fear deviating from that--fear of rejection, I'm sure.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Mel Gibson isn't the best example to be using... Actor Mel Gibson, a staun...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Mel Gibson isn't the best example to be using...

Actor Mel Gibson, a staunchly orthodox Roman Catholic who will play Christ in an upcoming movie, says the Vatican is a "wolf in sheep's clothing" and that he doesn't believe in the present-day Church as an institution.

www.freerepublic.com

--hide--

Hutton Gibson's book is nuts. Truly sedevacantist and a good example of extreme paranoia.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Matthew-617971 said: I am an introvert, and a traditional catholic. (I would like to think I am not uptight, but I a...
(Quote) Matthew-617971 said:

I am an introvert, and a traditional catholic. (I would like to think I am not uptight, but I am a little biased...) I am not introverted because I am a traditional catholic; I am an introvert who happens to be a traditional catholic. Reading some of the posts here, I am not impressed. I am not anti semetic; I don't hate the Pope; and I am going to stop, because I feel a little wierd having to defend myself against some of the silly things said here. But I also want to emphasize, I am not ashamed to be a catholic who loves tradition, and I am not ashamed to have the personality of an introvert.

--hide--

...and I am sure you are kind to ladies who show up without a veil or have ankles showing....You seem like a nice person with a good attitude.

Dec 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-388330 said: All, As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion ...
(Quote) Jim-388330 said:

All,

As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion with someone before, and there seems to be an unfortunate stereotype that float around with the traditionalist label.

I've always viewed the Traditional Latin Mass to be an opportunity to give more time and prayer to our Lord such that we may hope to obtain special graces for our efforts, not only for ourselves, but for others as well. Does that mean I cannot at the same time employ my rather extraverted personality Have others seen this stereotype as well?

God bless,
Jim

--hide--

I'm a Tradionalist and I'm not uptight or introverted.

Dec 18th 2012 new

Quiet and reverent in Mass and where it is appropriate.

Outside we're just regular people with regular personalities! Wouldn't want to be extroverted at Mass anyway, surely? Mass is about prayer :)

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Actually, Jesus corrected the Pharisees for not following the law themselves: &quo...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Actually, Jesus corrected the Pharisees for not following the law themselves:

"Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples, Saying: The scribes and the Pharisees have sitten on the chair of Moses. All things therefore whatsoever they shall say to you, observe and do: but according to their works do ye not; for they say, and do not." (Matt. 23: 1-3)

The one passage in Scripture I can recall off-hand where Christ places the spirit of the law above the letter of the law, when he healed a man on the Sabbath, the violation was for the benefit of another, not the convenience of the person committing the infraction. Can the same be said for the majority of the appeals to the "spirit of the law" we encounter?

--hide--

Also when he and the disciples plucked grain on the Sabbath. There were other instances as well.

It's a false dichotomy to say we either follow the rules or we follow Christ. The point is we must do both. The problem arises when we place all of the emphasis on the letter of the law without also living the spirit of the law.

The spirit of the law is never a license to disregard or selectively follow the law. Rather, it is loving the law and doing our best to follow it without seeing it as the end but rather the means to the end - a concrete expression of our love for Christ. But if we stop at the point of becoming obsessed with the law but without understanding and loving the reasons for the law, we put ourselves into a box.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: ...and I am sure you are kind to ladies who show up without a veil or have ankles showing.... <...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

...and I am sure you are kind to ladies who show up without a veil or have ankles showing....

--hide--

Self-apponted enforcers of the rules drive others away from the faith in order to gratify their own wills. Is this furthering the work of God? Rather than scolding, we must be charitable and lead by example rather than by issuing fiats.

Posts 101 - 110 of 110