Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

Metal detectors won't hurt anything, but they aren't a panacea. They are going to stop students from bringing in weapons and just carrying them around. They aren't going to stop anybody who arrives with the intention to start shooting.

Dec 18th 2012 new

I think that most everyone, on all sides of the mass shooting problem, sincerely want to reduce the problem and lessen the number of incidents.

That being said.... Concerning the banning of certain weapons, here is an analogy:

I think that to ban a particular type/s of so-called "assault rifle" in an effort to reduce the number of school/movie theatre casualties makes about as much sense as thinking that the banning of particular surgical instruments will reduce the number of abortions in this country. It seems absurd that we could reduce abortions by banning certain surgical instruments. Even if every surgical instrument were banned, if someone were determined to perform an abortion, they could use a coat hanger.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Chris-280015 said: the window he went through was attached to the front door, if I understood correctly. If this is...
(Quote) Chris-280015 said:

the window he went through was attached to the front door, if I understood correctly. If this is true, he walked right by the metal detector (if it existed). Whether or not he broke a window, to open a door, or just crawl through, either way the metal detector would not help. It got bypassed, by forceul intent. The next suggestion?? Armed guards, teachers and other personnel may help, but where does it stop? Why are people allowed to have weapons in the home, that are way more than necessary for self defense. An assault rifle of the nature they had was just way too much. Guns of the nature this lady had need to be kept in gun clubs, if at all, and not in the home.
--hide--

No, I don't think teachers and principals should be carrying guns in the schools...that is what security guards and policemen are for in the schools. Most schools hire security guards already and if they decide to arm them, the gun should be hidden on their person for sure.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

irked I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN!

It doesn't matter if it's legally purchase or not. Guns are meant to shoot people not cats or dogs. So owning one means shooting a person one way or another. Look at what happened in CT. The mother legally owns the gun... was she able to control the consequence of owning it? NO!!! Kids died and our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.

Dec 18th 2012 new

Metal detectors are an interesting idea for security. However, I would have a difficult time sending a child to a school that required a metal detector. It seems like such a loss of innocence at such an early age. I would have to consider moving to a more rural area, or going to a private school or home-schooling as an alternative to sending a child to a school that requires a metal detector.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Well, with common sense and repentence. That's about it. A large part of the...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Well, with common sense and repentence. That's about it.

A large part of the later could come from the realization that when the Founding Fathers spoke of a "well regulated militia," they meant us. We are the militia.

--hide--
But obviously not well-regulated, plus we, as individuals are hardly trained to be considered militia. Vigilantes, maybe.

Even people trained in weapons usage can't always hit a target because of various conditions; among them: target is moving, innocent bystanders are too close to the target; adrenaline, speed, and other factors.

Reality is more like a war or western movie where the bad guys shoot a million bullets, none of which strike the hero. In real life, it's difficult. Having the hero fire one shot and hit his intended target is unlikely. Unless building walls (such as in schools) are bullet-resistant, innocent adults and children could be injured by bullets piercing the walls.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Thess-624577 said: I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN! It doesn't matter if it's lega...
(Quote) Thess-624577 said:

I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN!

It doesn't matter if it's legally purchase or not. Guns are meant to shoot people not cats or dogs. So owning one means shooting a person one way or another. Look at what happened in CT. The mother legally owns the gun... was she able to control the consequence of owning it? NO!!! Kids died and our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.

--hide--
It's not the end of the story. It's actually the beginning if it prompts some sensible and practical ways to curb this violence. As you pointed out, Thess, the mother legally owned the guns. She, however, did not misuse them. It seems they weren't stored as they should have been. An unauthorized person (her son) gained access to the weapons after he snapped, with the end result being untold sadness in our country.

Dec 19th 2012 new

--hide--

All gun laws should be elimanted as the second amendment clearly states "shall not be infringed". Guns like any other weapon should only be used in self defense.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: It's not the end of the story. It's actually the beginning if it prompts some sensible and ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

It's not the end of the story. It's actually the beginning if it prompts some sensible and practical ways to curb this violence. As you pointed out, Thess, the mother legally owned the guns. She, however, did not misuse them. It seems they weren't stored as they should have been. An unauthorized person (her son) gained access to the weapons after he snapped, with the end result being untold sadness in our country.

--hide--

Actually, to my knowledge, in CT, storage laws for firearms only apply to homes where minor children under the age of 16 reside.

theheart

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Actually, to my knowledge, in CT, storage laws for firearms only apply to ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Actually, to my knowledge, in CT, storage laws for firearms only apply to homes where minor children under the age of 16 reside.

--hide--
Victor -- I wasn't necessarily referring to what the law does or doesn't require. No matter what, weapons should be secured to avoid unauthorized access. Actually, we don't know if Adam had unlimited, free access to the weapons or not.

Posts 11 - 20 of 200