Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

The Elf On The Shelf

12/20/2012 new

I must admit that until recently I had no idea about the "Elf On The Shelf". And I try to keep up on most things relevant, but this time I was totally in the dark on this one. It recently happened at a Christmas luncheon where some of the mothers were talking quite enthusiastically about this Elf On The Shelf. Not only that, but they were gleefully snickering and giggling about this concoction that apparently keeps an eye on kids and reports back to Santa on who's been naughty or nice.

I'm sorry, but does anyone else find this just a tad bit creepy? And, speaking of creepy, have you seen this Elf On The Shelf? He makes the creepy Burger King guy look normal by comparison.

It would be one thing if the kids were asking their parents for this Elf On The Shelf. But it's mostly the parents buying these creepy things and, apparently, using them in an Orwellian fashion to hold some leverage over their children. It's bad enough that Santa sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake and knows when you've been bad or good. Now, he's got some lackeys out there doing his dirty work.

Does anyone else agree with me or am I missing the point altogether? If I am, please explain it to me.

12/21/2012 new

Honestly, this year is the first time I have even heard of this tradition. I know there are quite a few sites and blogs that give parents suggestions on how to display their Elf but I've never visited them.

12/22/2012 new

(Quote) Jeff-406043 said: I must admit that until recently I had no idea about the "Elf On The Shelf". And I try t...
(Quote) Jeff-406043 said:

I must admit that until recently I had no idea about the "Elf On The Shelf". And I try to keep up on most things relevant, but this time I was totally in the dark on this one. It recently happened at a Christmas luncheon where some of the mothers were talking quite enthusiastically about this Elf On The Shelf. Not only that, but they were gleefully snickering and giggling about this concoction that apparently keeps an eye on kids and reports back to Santa on who's been naughty or nice.

I'm sorry, but does anyone else find this just a tad bit creepy? And, speaking of creepy, have you seen this Elf On The Shelf? He makes the creepy Burger King guy look normal by comparison.

It would be one thing if the kids were asking their parents for this Elf On The Shelf. But it's mostly the parents buying these creepy things and, apparently, using them in an Orwellian fashion to hold some leverage over their children. It's bad enough that Santa sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake and knows when you've been bad or good. Now, he's got some lackeys out there doing his dirty work.

Does anyone else agree with me or am I missing the point altogether? If I am, please explain it to me.

--hide--

I just heard of this "elf on a shelf" idea the other day when the eye doctor's technician mentioned how it is good to help keep her daughter remain good. The elf can tell if she is good or bad and report to Santa. I DO NOT Like this idea. Jesus is the reason for the season and for us to be good. Not some elf on a shelf. Fantasy is fantasy and will not bring us the True Joy of what Christmas really is.

That's my 2 cents.. Merry Christmas .. God Bless all the children...

Kathleen

12/22/2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said: I just heard of this "elf on a shelf" idea the other day when the eye doctor&#...
(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said:

I just heard of this "elf on a shelf" idea the other day when the eye doctor's technician mentioned how it is good to help keep her daughter remain good. The elf can tell if she is good or bad and report to Santa. I DO NOT Like this idea. Jesus is the reason for the season and for us to be good. Not some elf on a shelf. Fantasy is fantasy and will not bring us the True Joy of what Christmas really is.

That's my 2 cents.. Merry Christmas .. God Bless all the children...

Kathleen

--hide--
Are you saying there's...no...Santa? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! shocked grinch

12/22/2012 new
Yeah it's goofy. My sister has it with my two year old niece, but I don't think my niece is buying it. She's too smart for it. Thankfully my sister is great about teaching her who's birthday Christmas is.
12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Are you saying there's...no...Santa? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Are you saying there's...no...Santa? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

--hide--

Oh Peter, Sorry to break the news. I guess being the youngest of 4 siblings I never did believe in Santa. I do like Frosty and Rudolph though wink
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone !!!! xmastree

Posts 1 - 6 of 6