Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

What are you reading?

Dec 20th 2012 new

rolling eyes Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and going through and rereading the bookshelf again I am wondering... what have you read lately that you wanted to share with someone or that you just thought was a good book? I'm looking for something new, but old is sometimes new too. Lemme know biggrin

Dec 20th 2012 new

Hi Jessica!

After seeing the new Lincoln movie, I was really inspired to get to know him a bit! I just finished Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln." An awesome read... and I don't venture far outside the bounds of theological texts when in the non-fiction arena!

Dec 20th 2012 new

The book I always recommend when I'm asked is "The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Dec 20th 2012 new

The book I enjoyed the most was Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I only read it a few summers ago, all three parts of the book. By the time it was over I was wishing it wasn't. The man was a genius.

I'd also recommend highly Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. I read the abridged version, which may have been a good choice because I heard the unabridged was a bit much. But the book was remarkable.

You've probably already read these two, but if not, those are two at the top of my list.

Dec 20th 2012 new

Just finished Serenade by James M. Cain. Great writer. Not his best novel, but very good. His novel Mildred Pierce is probably the best work of fiction ever written about the great depression.

Recently read:

Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather. A beautiful and heartfelt treatment of Catholic missionary priests in New Mexico.

Meely LaBauve, by Ken Wells. This is a delightful debut novel - a cajun coming-of-age story. I really enjoyed and strongly recommend it!!

Felicia's Journey, by William Trevor. Compelling novel by an underrated Irish writer - creepy but full of humanity. Not something I'll forget anytime soon.

Nice Work, by David Lodge. Hilarious British farce about the roles of men and women in the post modern age.

Dec 20th 2012 new

I've got a few things sitting in my Nook now that I've started or am halfway through...

No Easy Day by Mark Owen

Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard

Come Be My Light by Mother Teresa

Dec 20th 2012 new

Just started reading "Beethoven's Hair" by Russell Martin. It was recommended to me.

Dec 20th 2012 new

I'm about halfway through The Infancy Narratives - Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI. Great biblical exegesis. graduate pope yoda

Dec 20th 2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: The book I enjoyed the most was Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I only read it a few summers ...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

The book I enjoyed the most was Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I only read it a few summers ago, all three parts of the book. By the time it was over I was wishing it wasn't. The man was a genius.

I'd also recommend highly Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. I read the abridged version, which may have been a good choice because I heard the unabridged was a bit much. But the book was remarkable.

You've probably already read these two, but if not, those are two at the top of my list.

--hide--

John, have you read The Hobbit? I keep hearing about it especially now with the movie out, but I'm debating as to whether or not to buy it...

Additionally, I can also vouch for Les Mis. Really great read and I'm a tiny bit excited about the movie...

Dec 20th 2012 new
Hi Angie, I did read The Hobbit and I really enjoyed it! I'll bet the movies will be great too, if they're half as good as Lord of the Rings. John
Posts 1 - 10 of 93