Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

12/21/2012 new

Yesterday, I read about a volunteer group in Sacramento, CA area that collects used bicycles, repairs them and gives them to homeless and low income people that don't have cars. A few times each month they also set up a bike repair service in some convenient parking lot or park in Sacramento so that people with low income can get their bikes back into working order. They accept donations from the public including old bikes, bike parts and volunteers to help. They were in the paper also because they were looking for someone that would help to donate a larger trailer so that they could distribute more bikes and expand their services to a nearby city.

This was such a simple and practical idea. I was surprised that I had never heard of such a service before.

Ed

12/22/2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: My Knights of Columbus Council walks the walk. Several others and I pick up bread, fruit and vege...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

My Knights of Columbus Council walks the walk. Several others and I pick up bread, fruit and vegetables every Monday morning from two local supermarkets to be sorted and put into boxes for various needy families in our area. Tomorrow morning, I join three other guys from our Holy Name Society to sort food at my parish's St. Vincent dePaul food bank for distribution to about a dozen and a half families. That will also include Christmas gifts donated by parishioners from our annual giving tree. It is never enough because there are more poor than ever now, but we do what we can.

--hide--

Vivat Iesus my friend! rosary highfive

12/22/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Yesterday, I read about a volunteer group in Sacramento, CA area that collects used bicycles, repairs...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Yesterday, I read about a volunteer group in Sacramento, CA area that collects used bicycles, repairs them and gives them to homeless and low income people that don't have cars. A few times each month they also set up a bike repair service in some convenient parking lot or park in Sacramento so that people with low income can get their bikes back into working order. They accept donations from the public including old bikes, bike parts and volunteers to help. They were in the paper also because they were looking for someone that would help to donate a larger trailer so that they could distribute more bikes and expand their services to a nearby city.

This was such a simple and practical idea. I was surprised that I had never heard of such a service before.

Ed

--hide--

Similiar things are happening where I live as well. Transportations is important and a little exercise never hurt anyone.

12/22/2012 new

it's in those type of environments that i find the Kingdom of God touches down. Good for you on your work as well, Celia.

12/22/2012 new

(Quote) As Jesus said, the ""poor will always be with us"
(Quote) As Jesus said, the ""poor will always be with us"
--hide--

My view of one of many insights to that passage is that there is somone who is poor today who has chosen to be poor or will remain so even if given the chance to be rich.

For example, if some billionarie were to shell out one million green backs to every poor man he met, he will eventually meet one that will refuse a dime. I do not play the lottery for a reason.

Posts 21 - 25 of 25