Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

A good true fan

11/20/2012 new
A good true fan never loses interest in his/her team. People that are sunshine fans are not good fans. In any sport the greatest fans hold interest in their teams whether their teams win, lose, make a comeback, make a collapse, and have a year that's either good or bad. Like for me in baseball, even though the Cardinals lost the NLCS this year, I'm still a Cardinal fan. I know there will always be next year. Every year all teams have another chance of coming out on top.
11/24/2012 new
Well said Tom. I wrote an essay on this in college about fair weather fans, and said a few of the things you just said. The one thing I'd say is that you and I both back perennial winners in baseball, me being a Yankee fan and you as you said being a Cards fan. That makes it a little tough for me to say I'm the most loyal fan. Now the Cubs fans, the Cleveland Indians fans, those are some stellar fans. Those fans have had to suffer losing, near misses, (mostly losing for Cleveland, more near misses for the Cubs), for ages! Until 2004 the Red Sox were in that boat too, yet Red Sox fans were among the most rabid, loyal fans there were during the long losing years. They too had so many heartbreaks, like no other team. My late Dad's cousin was an old-timer who co-founded an organization called the BLOHARDS, which stands for Benevolent Loyal Order of Honorable Ancient Red Sox Diehard Sufferers. You can look their website up. He was a Sox fan through thick and thin, and even though we'd trade barbs (about things like Bucky Dent, etc.), I totally respected his fervor and loyalty, and loved his sense of humor. One Saturday morning in 2003 I woke at about 6:15 to my surprise to hearing his voice on the radio. He was being interviewed by Ed Randall on WFAN in New York on his show Talkin' Baseball. He was talking about his Sox who were that year into that "cowboy up" theme they had going, and a lot of them shaved their heads that year. I remember him saying in his old voice, "Those bald guys aren't afraid of anybody." Sadly for him that year ended in yet another heartbreak, to the Yankees of course, with Aaron Boone's ALCS gamewinning homer. But as you say, there's always next year, and for him, it finally happened in 2004. His beloved Red Sox came back from down 3-0 to best the hated Yankees, and went on to win the World Series in four straight over your Cardinals. As a Yankee fan that stung, as I'm sure it did for you as a Cards fan. But for him, what a gift. He actually got to hold the WS trophy. There's a picture of him on the website with it. He didn't live to see the 2007 Sox victory, so looking back, this is one time I'm glad my Yankees lost. At his wake, it may have been late 2005, his daughters requested that everyone wear red socks in his honor, and he actually had a Sox cap on as he lay in peace. Now that's a true fan! (Yes, I did wear red socks in his honor, for a life well lived and a great guy.) God bless.
12/21/2012 new

I agree completely. I enjoy wearing my favorite team's colors or insignia's whether they are winning or losing. As you stated, there will always be another chance for them to showcase their strengths.

12/21/2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Well said Tom. I wrote an essay on this in college about fair weather fans, and said a few of the things ...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Well said Tom. I wrote an essay on this in college about fair weather fans, and said a few of the things you just said. The one thing I'd say is that you and I both back perennial winners in baseball, me being a Yankee fan and you as you said being a Cards fan. That makes it a little tough for me to say I'm the most loyal fan. Now the Cubs fans, the Cleveland Indians fans, those are some stellar fans. Those fans have had to suffer losing, near misses, (mostly losing for Cleveland, more near misses for the Cubs), for ages! Until 2004 the Red Sox were in that boat too, yet Red Sox fans were among the most rabid, loyal fans there were during the long losing years. They too had so many heartbreaks, like no other team. My late Dad's cousin was an old-timer who co-founded an organization called the BLOHARDS, which stands for Benevolent Loyal Order of Honorable Ancient Red Sox Diehard Sufferers. You can look their website up. He was a Sox fan through thick and thin, and even though we'd trade barbs (about things like Bucky Dent, etc.), I totally respected his fervor and loyalty, and loved his sense of humor. One Saturday morning in 2003 I woke at about 6:15 to my surprise to hearing his voice on the radio. He was being interviewed by Ed Randall on WFAN in New York on his show Talkin' Baseball. He was talking about his Sox who were that year into that "cowboy up" theme they had going, and a lot of them shaved their heads that year. I remember him saying in his old voice, "Those bald guys aren't afraid of anybody." Sadly for him that year ended in yet another heartbreak, to the Yankees of course, with Aaron Boone's ALCS gamewinning homer. But as you say, there's always next year, and for him, it finally happened in 2004. His beloved Red Sox came back from down 3-0 to best the hated Yankees, and went on to win the World Series in four straight over your Cardinals. As a Yankee fan that stung, as I'm sure it did for you as a Cards fan. But for him, what a gift. He actually got to hold the WS trophy. There's a picture of him on the website with it. He didn't live to see the 2007 Sox victory, so looking back, this is one time I'm glad my Yankees lost. At his wake, it may have been late 2005, his daughters requested that everyone wear red socks in his honor, and he actually had a Sox cap on as he lay in peace. Now that's a true fan! (Yes, I did wear red socks in his honor, for a life well lived and a great guy.) God bless.
--hide--

Great story John, and you have earned my respect for going against your Yankee instincts by wearing red socks for your dad's cousin.

I'm a Tigers fan and had to suffer through one of the all time worst seasons, 119 losses in 2003. They had to rally furiously in their last few games to avoid breaking the Mets' modern record for futility (120 losses). For true Tigers fans, patience was rewarded 3 years later when we went to the World Series. thumbsup

Go Tigers!  In this photo are a Tigers cap (natch), my stuffed tiger 'Ty', a 2006 World Series baseball autographed by Nate Robe

"Go Tigers! In this photo are a Tigers cap (natch)..."

12/21/2012 new
Thanks Ed, or is it Edwise, if I remember correctly? I'm glad you appreciated the story. He was a great guy. Now about your Tigers. Last year I concocted a pseudo Hall of Fame list with participation from my family members. I called it the Mudville Baseball Hall of Fame, and it was made up entirely of players not yet inducted, especially players who were not likely to be inducted due to their statistics, but who you'd want on your team. Good examples of Yankees for induction in the "MBHOF" were Paul O'Neill and Don Mattingly. Now on the Tigers I included Alan Trammel, Lou Whitaker, and Kirk Gibson. Some of these guys may yet make it to Cooperstown, but not definitely. Gibson in particular is the guy I think is the prototype guy who doesn't have the stats, but wow, look at how big he came through when it counted. I still remember when he hit that shot off Goose Gossage (who by the way was one of my favorites, and gave me a fist pump when I saw him at Cooperstown a couple years ago). You look back on that at bat in the highlights and you see Sparky Anderson in the dugout yelling to Gibson, "He don't want walk you!" Sure enough he didn't. Then of course everyone remembers the shot off Dennis Eckersley against the A's when he was on the Dodgers later in his career. So those are the guys I say belong in my HOF. Have a great day. John
12/21/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: A good true fan never loses interest in his/her team. People that are sunshine fans are not good fans. In ...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: A good true fan never loses interest in his/her team. People that are sunshine fans are not good fans. In any sport the greatest fans hold interest in their teams whether their teams win, lose, make a comeback, make a collapse, and have a year that's either good or bad. Like for me in baseball, even though the Cardinals lost the NLCS this year, I'm still a Cardinal fan. I know there will always be next year. Every year all teams have another chance of coming out on top.
--hide--

Tom, Very True and always nice to see people follow their team year after year! I am already looking at the cardinals schedule to see some games this year if it all works out! Have a great holiday season and a Merry Christmas! biggrin wave baseball

12/22/2012 new
(Quote) George-80266 said: Tom, Very True and always nice to see people follow their team year after ...
(Quote) George-80266 said:

Tom, Very True and always nice to see people follow their team year after year! I am already looking at the cardinals schedule to see some games this year if it all works out! Have a great holiday season and a Merry Christmas!

--hide--

Merry Christmas to you too George! xmastree The year you give up on your team could be the year they go all the way! You need to always be a fan for your team whether they win or lose. No team can win every game.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7