Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

irked

...the characters and the special effects are great... but for 2 hours and 50 minutes you only get to about half the story in the book. There was a lot of filler material and scenes not from the book. I was really irked when I realized where they ended the movie, to continue with the sequel. BUT apparently there will be a third Hobbit movie as well!?!?!?! A connecting story between "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". I understand doing this with TLOTR as that story took place with 3 books, but "The Hobbit" is only about 250 to 375 pages (depending on the edition you have). THEY COULD HAVE FINISHED THE WHOLE STORY IN LESS THAN 3 HOURS! And they should have done so. It would have been a great film. Peter Jackson, you pee me off.

Comments?

Dec 19th 2012 new

Well, why were there 6 Star Wars movies? Or 9 Star Trek movies? Or even half the sequels and remakes that have been produced?

Of course it's the money! biggrin

theheart

Dec 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, why were there 6 Star Wars movies? Or 9 Star Trek movies? Or ev...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Well, why were there 6 Star Wars movies? Or 9 Star Trek movies? Or even half the sequels and remakes that have been produced?

Of course it's the money!

--hide--

Of course, IT IS the money. At least with the Star Wars and Star Trek series, there were several books in question, though they didn't follow the plotlines in the books. The Hobbit is a classic book and they should have stuck to the original story for the movie.

Just ranting... that's all.

Dec 20th 2012 new

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been questioning the wisdom of taking 3 movies to tell the story.

Dec 21st 2012 new

It was an excellent book but I probably won't be taking the time to watch all of the movies.

Dec 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: ...the characters and the special effects are great... but for 2 hours and 50 minu...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

...the characters and the special effects are great... but for 2 hours and 50 minutes you only get to about half the story in the book. There was a lot of filler material and scenes not from the book. I was really irked when I realized where they ended the movie, to continue with the sequel. BUT apparently there will be a third Hobbit movie as well!?!?!?! A connecting story between "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". I understand doing this with TLOTR as that story took place with 3 books, but "The Hobbit" is only about 250 to 375 pages (depending on the edition you have). THEY COULD HAVE FINISHED THE WHOLE STORY IN LESS THAN 3 HOURS! And they should have done so. It would have been a great film. Peter Jackson, you pee me off.

Comments?

--hide--

The part I bolded is not accurate. They are in fact spreading the story of "The Hobbit" over three movies. Part 2 will be called "The Desolation of Smaug" and released December 2013, Part 3 will be titled "There and Back Again" and it comes out July 2014. Peter Jackson and company are using material from the Lord of the Rings Appendices to pad out the run time.

There was a plan to do a "connecting" film at one point but it was abandoned.

Dec 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: (Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: ...the characters and the special...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said:

Quote:
Rosanna-921185 said:

Comments?

The part I bolded is not accurate. They are in fact spreading the story of "The Hobbit" over three movies. Part 2 will be called "The Desolation of Smaug" and released December 2013, Part 3 will be titled "There and Back Again" and it comes out July 2014. Peter Jackson and company are using material from the Lord of the Rings Appendices to pad out the run time.

--hide--

I should add, at one point "The Hobbit" was going to be only two movies, but PJ & company decided they had enough material from the appendices to make three .... at least that's the official story.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

I have seen the movie twice and really enjoyed it. There is quite a bit of story left if you think about it. There's Beorn, Mirkwood, the spiders, the halls of the Elven king, Laketown, the mountain, the death of Smaug, the intrigue of Bilbo, the Battle of Five Armies, not to mention the thread they've started with the Necromancer. I also heard a rumor about a female elf character who will be somewhat detailed. So I don't mind at all that the movie will be in three parts. So far I really liked the personalities of some of the dwarves, such as Kili, Fili, and Balin. I also really liked the scenes of Erebor and the dragon at the beginning of the movie. I think it's great that I still have two whole movies to look forward to!

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: The part I bolded is not accurate. They are in fact spreading the story of "The Hobb...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said:

--hide--

Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate all your comments but I am still irked with PJ's decision to spread it out to 3 movies.

Dec 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, why were there 6 Star Wars movies? Or 9 Star Trek movies? Or even half the se...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Of course it's the money!

--hide--
You're behind on your count of Trek movies, Victor. Number 12 in the series, "Star Trek Into Darkness", is coming out in May. vulcan www.startrekmovie.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 20