Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, I must leave my mother's with my children and take them back to their mother's (out of state.) I am going to miss mass tomorrow, as I must be back home (Florida, out of state from my Children) in time to start work at 5 Thursday morning. Driving to SC and then to FL on the 26th, and working the following day, is not a reasonable expectation (18 hours driving, total.)

Is it a mortal sin to miss a Holy Day of Obligation under such circumstances? I assume no, given that missing mass is not a willfully disobedient act, but am eager for other people's thoughts (facts). I Do Not Like This Situation.

Blessings,

Michael

Dec 25th 2012 new

rosary Michael, no it's not a sin or an issue in any way whatsoever. I say this with confidence.

The way I know this is that I converted this past April 7. Well, before I coverted, I wanted to make sure I could uphold my end of the bargain. I have a couple of health issues that are normally O.K., but sometimes can go through periods of being worse for a few days. So, I knew when I converted that there would be potentially times on Holy Days of Obligation that I might just not be able to get to Mass.

So, I had a really frank discussion with my priest and another priest about this. They told me that, if the desire is in your heart to be there, and that under other circumstances you would, then God would know that. They said that the hardest thing sometimes is on us, when we want to be there but can't, for a valid reason (not an excuse, but a valid reason which you have the responsibility of determining because God will know.)

If I hadn't gotten a firm answer on that question, I would not have made the committment to being Catolic, because I would have been forever wondering if I was letting God down, or letting my fellow parishoners down. I know you will feel disappointed in not being there, but God knows your heat as well as your intentions. theheart

Dec 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: Michael, no it's not a sin or an issue in any way whatsoever. I say this with confidence....
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

Michael, no it's not a sin or an issue in any way whatsoever. I say this with confidence.

The way I know this is that I converted this past April 7. Well, before I coverted, I wanted to make sure I could uphold my end of the bargain. I have a couple of health issues that are normally O.K., but sometimes can go through periods of being worse for a few days. So, I knew when I converted that there would be potentially times on Holy Days of Obligation that I might just not be able to get to Mass.

So, I had a really frank discussion with my priest and another priest about this. They told me that, if the desire is in your heart to be there, and that under other circumstances you would, then God would know that. They said that the hardest thing sometimes is on us, when we want to be there but can't, for a valid reason (not an excuse, but a valid reason which you have the responsibility of determining because God will know.)

If I hadn't gotten a firm answer on that question, I would not have made the committment to being Catolic, because I would have been forever wondering if I was letting God down, or letting my fellow parishoners down. I know you will feel disappointed in not being there, but God knows your heat as well as your intentions.

--hide--

Celia, what you say is absolutely correct for a situation such as yours where one is ill for the entirety of a day of obligation. In Michael's situation there are potential alternatives that should be explored before concluding he can't attend Mass:

(a) a vigil Mass on 12/24

(b) an early morning Mass before leaving on 12/25

(c) stopping to attend Mass in another town en route on 12/25

Dec 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Tomorrow, Christmas Day, I must leave my mother's with my children and take them back to their...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, I must leave my mother's with my children and take them back to their mother's (out of state.) I am going to miss mass tomorrow, as I must be back home (Florida, out of state from my Children) in time to start work at 5 Thursday morning. Driving to SC and then to FL on the 26th, and working the following day, is not a reasonable expectation (18 hours driving, total.)

Is it a mortal sin to miss a Holy Day of Obligation under such circumstances? I assume no, given that missing mass is not a willfully disobedient act, but am eager for other people's thoughts (facts). I Do Not Like This Situation.

Blessings,

Michael

--hide--

Michael, you can go to mass at any Catholic church long the why, look up mass times on the internet.

Dec 25th 2012 new
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Michael, you can go to mass at any Catholic church long the why, look up mass times on the internet.
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

Michael, you can go to mass at any Catholic church long the why, look up mass times on the internet.
--hide--

Jerry also gave you good advice. The simple fact for me is that I need the Eucharist and the spiritual strength and peace it imparts. Sounds like you will need it for your trip too. AND what an amazing witness for your children
Dec 25th 2012 new

Michael, one of the three conditions for a sin to be mortal is that it must be of your own free will. You have no choice here. God bless you. Three Hail Mary's for you tonight.... theheart

Dec 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Michael, one of the three conditions for a sin to be mortal is that it must be of your own free wi...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

Michael, one of the three conditions for a sin to be mortal is that it must be of your own free will. You have no choice here. God bless you. Three Hail Mary's for you tonight....

--hide--

While I understand you're trying to make him feel better about the situation, we do him no favors by offering reassurances based on incomplete information.

As I noted in a previous response, there are three different options that may have been available to him: attending a vigil Mass or an early morning Mass on Christmas day before leaving, or attending Mass en route.

Now, it may be that none of these options were available in his circumstances; if such is the case then he would appear to have a legitimate reason for not attending Mass. Even so, it would have been best to either get a dispensation in advance or to include it in confession just to be safe (it does no harm to confess a questionable situation that turns out not to be a sin; there is grave harm done if one intentionally omits a mortal sin.)

Dec 25th 2012 new

Jerry, I evidently misread his post.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8