Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Christmas or Xmas!

12/26/2012 new

How do you feel regarding the widespread of usage of the word Xmas. Do you get offended every time you see people using it instead of Christmas?

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: How do you feel regarding the widespread of usage of the word Xmas. Do you get offended every t...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said:

How do you feel regarding the widespread of usage of the word Xmas. Do you get offended every time you see people using it instead of Christmas?

--hide--

To be honest, I don't recall seeing Xmas used much the past few years, it having been replaced with the even more offensive generic "holiday".

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: To be honest, I don't recall seeing Xmas used much the past few years, it having been...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

To be honest, I don't recall seeing Xmas used much the past few years, it having been replaced with the even more offensive generic "holiday".

--hide--

Unless you use this... xmastree

theheart

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: To be honest, I don't recall seeing Xmas used much the past few years, it having been...

--hide--

Well both biggrin i feel i need always to correct people to not take out christ from Christmas also replying MerryChristmas when they say Happy Holidays!

Unfortunately not only the people who don't believe in Christ they use Xmas, but also so many Christian write it that way out of laziness. Same way like when so many people while texting they write all kind of words and when they come to write YOU they just use u scratchchin

12/26/2012 new

Yes xmastree Victor !

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: How do you feel regarding the widespread of usage of the word Xmas. Do you get offended every t...

--hide--

I vaguely remember something I read years ago that "X" was a very old Christian Symbol for Jesus Christ. Often found on Christian tombs in the catacombs.

Assuming I am remembering correctly, it doesn't make much difference since few people would know that today, especially those who habitually use Xmas to avoid saying Christmas.

12/26/2012 new

--hide--

Yes, it offends me. Seriously, how much longer does it take to write Christ?

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I vaguely remember something I read years ago that "X" was a very old Christian Symbol f...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I vaguely remember something I read years ago that "X" was a very old Christian Symbol for Jesus Christ. Often found on Christian tombs in the catacombs.

Assuming I am remembering correctly, it doesn't make much difference since few people would know that today, especially those who habitually use Xmas to avoid saying Christmas.

--hide--

This is correct. X is the English transliteration of the Greek letter chi, the first letter of Χριστός) (Christos), the Greek word for Christ.

Likewise, the symbol Px (where the 'x' is positioned over the lower part of the 'P') for Christ is derived from the first two letters of Χριστός.

But, as you noted, most people today aren't aware of this when they use the term Xmas.

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This is correct. X is the English transliteration of the Greek letter chi, the f...

This is correct. X is the English transliteration of the Greek letter chi, the first letter of Χριστός) (Christos), the Greek word for Christ.

Likewise, the symbol Px (where the 'x' is positioned over the lower part of the 'P') for Christ is derived from the first two letters of Χριστός.

But, as you noted, most people today aren't aware of this when they use the term Xmas.

--hide--

Thanks, Jerry. When I dip into the recesses of the mind and "remember" something I read years ago without remembering the full context, I worry if my remembering is just a figment of my imagination.

Although I have never had a "photgraphic' memory I used to be able to tell the name of the of the book or periodical I read something in as well as its approximate position in the book (i.e. about two thirds of the way through, on the left or right hand page and approximately the upper quarter of the page). But age has dimmed that ability to a large extent.

12/27/2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This is correct. X is the English transliteration of the Greek letter chi, the first l...

--hide--

Both words Christmas and Xmas are shortened versions of the phrase Christ's Mass but at least the first one kept Christ in it.

Jerry, what you said about the usage of Xmas is true but since 'X' is not Chi in English, we read the word as X-mas and see no connection with Christ.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10