Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Are you neighborly?

12/26/2012 new

Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or do you share BBQ's?

When I moved into my current home, I was greeted by my neighbors and a home-made apple pie. I live in a neighborhood full of good, Christian families. They are always anxious to help out and we get along great. We share meals, pools, trampolines and prayers. How about you? Are you in a neighborly neighborhood?

12/26/2012 new
Yup! Live in an area where there are hurricanes so one better!!

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or do you share BBQ's?

When I moved into my current home, I was greeted by my neighbors and a home-made apple pie. I live in a neighborhood full of good, Christian families. They are always anxious to help out and we get along great. We share meals, pools, trampolines and prayers. How about you? Are you in a neighborly neighborhood?

--hide--
12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to ke...

--hide--
Hi Kathy,

Now that all our kids are grown up, I really don't see my neighbors all that often. It always amazes me that the new families that have moved
in as the older people are looking to downsize, keep their children hostage in their homes. At least it seems that way anyway. When my boys
were young, they rarely stayed in the house as basketball, biking, skateboarding, rollerblading and later paintball guns and target shooting
were much more important. I remember they would put a little skit on at the end of the summer in the next door neighbors driveway. The girls
were cheerleaders and the boys had to try to keep up with then or catch them when they were doing their acrobatics and it was hilarious. They
would serve lemonade and of course, had to charge for the show (a nominal amount of money). They would go frog hunting, crack rocks that
were geodes (not correct spelling but they looked like amethyst crystals on the inside), always find water and water guns fun and get into a
little bit of trouble. I don't know why my computer does this line thing but it is aggravating. Anyway, very few kids running around and more
people my age walking in the "Hood" than kids on bikes.

Eileen

12/26/2012 new
I'd consider myself neighborly......I live in a condo complex where everyone mostly keeps to themselves. I know my next door neighbor fairly well and I baked cookies for another neighbor when they moved in. Whenever my dog, Bentley, and I go for walks, we wave at people driving through the complex and stop to chat and play with some of the other dogs in the neighborhood.

Someday, I hope to live in a surburban area where the neighbors and I have kids that grow up playing together and progressive dinners....neighborhood block parties and the like. biggrin
12/26/2012 new
I'd consider myself neighborly......I live in a condo complex where everyone mostly keeps to themselves. I know my next door neighbor fairly well and I baked cookies for another neighbor when they moved in. Whenever my dog, Bentley, and I go for walks, we wave at people driving through the complex and stop to chat and play with some of the other dogs in the neighborhood.

Someday, I hope to live in a surburban area where the neighbors and I have kids that grow up playing together and progressive dinners....neighborhood block parties and the like. biggrin
12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to ke...

--hide--
Kathy, I live in an old neighborhood- no Homeowner's Association, thank goodness! I had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with a family down the street- he is our parish's DRE, she teaches family planning and other things. Most of us look out for each other when one is out of town. Other than an eccentric character with a yard full of junk cars and boats a few houses away, we all get along quite well. I stay on his good side by dropping off food when we have a surplus at our parish pantry. Harmonious in that we neighbors stay out of each other's business- no selling, no proselytizing, no calling the authorities to report something that is merely annoying. Very American in that respect. I like what your new neighbors did- welcoming you with an apple pie. From my mother's example, I do the same only with chocolates and coffee.

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Kathy, Now that all our kids are grown up, I really don't see my neighbors all th...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Hi Kathy,

Now that all our kids are grown up, I really don't see my neighbors all that often. It always amazes me that the new families that have moved
in as the older people are looking to downsize, keep their children hostage in their homes. At least it seems that way anyway. When my boys
were young, they rarely stayed in the house as basketball, biking, skateboarding, rollerblading and later paintball guns and target shooting
were much more important. I remember they would put a little skit on at the end of the summer in the next door neighbors driveway. The girls
were cheerleaders and the boys had to try to keep up with then or catch them when they were doing their acrobatics and it was hilarious. They
would serve lemonade and of course, had to charge for the show (a nominal amount of money). They would go frog hunting, crack rocks that
were geodes (not correct spelling but they looked like amethyst crystals on the inside), always find water and water guns fun and get into a
little bit of trouble. I don't know why my computer does this line thing but it is aggravating. Anyway, very few kids running around and more
people my age walking in the "Hood" than kids on bikes.

Eileen

--hide--
Eileen, you spelled geodes correctly. When I was a kid, I belonged to the Washington Mineralogical Society and had quite an extensive rock collection. Amethyst geodes can indeed be found in the US, although the best specimens come from Brazil. OOPS~ didn't mean to get off topic! eyepopping

12/26/2012 new

One of my best friends us a rock hound. She's always bringing me some unique finds. Off track is fine with me.

My apple pie neighbors have always been generous. They just returned from a mission trip and I'm anxious to have them over to hear all about it. They generously share their garden produce with me or gather in the summer for sing-a-longs and bon fires.

When my husband became ill, I told another friend a few doors down that he was put on disability and we had to watch our pennies so I wouldn't be planting annuals. I came home from an emergency room visit to find they had gotten together and filled all my planters. We are often invited on another's boat and have big fish fries outdoors for several families. We help shovel each other out and donate to the children's fundraising efforts. Even though there are several parks in the area, we gather here to swing and play games.

Eileen, my kids used to do the summer plays with the neighbors, too. They were so creative and funny. Or they all have a bike parade or walk their dogs together. I love it here. I feel really blessed because I came from an area that wasn't like this. It often feels like we stepped back in time.

12/29/2012 new

Kathy,

Yes, I'm neighborly and so are they. However, I'm the oldest one and only one of two singles' on my Court. Everyone does look out for me. I'm far from helpless though. Some will come running if they see me lugging a heavy bag of mulch or soil from my SUV, at times I do take on too much, but do manage quite well. Mostly younger families at this point, but some middle agers around as well. We all look out for one another, especially when it's a terrible summer storm, a fallen tree, the frequent power outages, a heavy winter snow (still shovel it all except it it's two feet worth) or if someone is unwell or having surgery. We all pitch in and help each other out. I couldn't ask for better neighbors. Even if it is to stop and chat on the way in or out, and a phone call, a cup of tea. Not many secrets around here, but not intrusive either.

wave

12/30/2012 new

(Quote) Eloise-899090 said: Kathy,Yes, I'm neighborly and so are they. However, I'm the oldest one and only ...
(Quote) Eloise-899090 said:

Kathy,

Yes, I'm neighborly and so are they. However, I'm the oldest one and only one of two singles' on my Court. Everyone does look out for me. I'm far from helpless though. Some will come running if they see me lugging a heavy bag of mulch or soil from my SUV, at times I do take on too much, but do manage quite well. Mostly younger families at this point, but some middle agers around as well. We all look out for one another, especially when it's a terrible summer storm, a fallen tree, the frequent power outages, a heavy winter snow (still shovel it all except it it's two feet worth) or if someone is unwell or having surgery. We all pitch in and help each other out. I couldn't ask for better neighbors. Even if it is to stop and chat on the way in or out, and a phone call, a cup of tea. Not many secrets around here, but not intrusive either.

--hide--

Well, it looks like MD, MN and CA are the friendliest places to live! Thanks all, for your response. I've learned not all neighborhoods are the same. It is fun to get out and enjoy each other. In the spring, it's always fun to see how much the children have grown!

Posts 1 - 10 of 40