Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Dec 25th 2012 new
God bless you single parents.
Dec 26th 2012 new

biggrin

Oh yes I've been through this with three of them each two years apart.

Some parishes here have an area for people with children's.There are also masses we call unofficially ,the children mass and lots of people attend with their children .

Most people here just look and smile at the children .Very often during Mass a child will wonder off and not far behind will be a parent, sibling or another relative.

Most important don't get discouraged and continue carrying your child.Our religion is the best gift to them. theheart

Dec 26th 2012 new

I have a 6 year old who fell asleep on me - literally, leaning on me - the other night. The only way I've ever gotten him to be still is to get him involved, we actually sit on the side either by the choir or where we can see Fr. and the altar servers working.

I personally hate "cry rooms" or whatever. Can't stand the thought. When my son was quite small we went either to the earliest mass (7 am) or to Spanish mass (we're in Texas) because they were more kid-friendly, especially the Spanish mass there were older teenagers that would sort of help hem him in if he was too wild and it helped him to see all the other children. Our new parish it's been wonderful, no separation of children from anyone else and I got him Magnifikid which has the mass written out with cartoons.

Another idea is to find a family with slightly older girls and sit by them, they love helping mommies. :) Don't stop going, but perhaps find a mass you can go to while someone babysits some other time during the week. I know I have weeks I don't take communion because I feel like I've been shepherding him rather than taking part in the mass, so those weeks I sneak in at a daily mass if I can and feel better. Hang in there, you need to be there and so does your baby. :)

Dec 26th 2012 new

Hi Marirose:

You mentioned she loves to sing. That is a great opportunity to practice the hymns at home, so she can participate at that moment.

I lived that 3 times with my kids (now on their 20's) and I offered those moments when I can't pay enough attention and felt like not getting the message. I saw it as my mission, and that is what it is, we as parents are guiding our kids on this path. There are good ideas here about timing and location, and you will find the best for you.

Our kids are also church's members and thank you for the reminder to myself. Sooner than you expect she will be asking about the Mass.

God bless you two.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: So again today in church my toddler would not sit still. I don't even attempt to sit in th...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

So again today in church my toddler would not sit still. I don't even attempt to sit in the church anymore because she is so active that we may it about 5 minutes before I have to leave. We sit where the small children are supposed to sit and I still get dirty looks from other Catholics. Maybe I should just stop going until she is older.

I have tried bringing books, etc. but at the back of the church they have ramps and she loves to run up and down them. Frustrated.

--hide--

My child is two, she is always running and dancing and singing, my father and I have thaught her to pray so she knows and prays Hail Mary and Our Father, if we are at the church I get dirty looks because she can't sit still but on the other hand many people want to smile at her and sing with her, so it is non-sense, so I ignore the dirty looks and say a small prayer for them.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Wilma-23758 said: Hi Marirose: You mentioned she loves to sing. That is a great opportunity to practice t...
(Quote) Wilma-23758 said:

Hi Marirose:

You mentioned she loves to sing. That is a great opportunity to practice the hymns at home, so she can participate at that moment.

I lived that 3 times with my kids (now on their 20's) and I offered those moments when I can't pay enough attention and felt like not getting the message. I saw it as my mission, and that is what it is, we as parents are guiding our kids on this path. There are good ideas here about timing and location, and you will find the best for you.

Our kids are also church's members and thank you for the reminder to myself. Sooner than you expect she will be asking about the Mass.

God bless you two.

--hide--
Thanks. She does know some of the hymns but she likes to sign the non-church songs loudly sometime during the homily. She goes from Away in the Manger to Itsy Bitsy Spider. It is definitely penance to take her to church right now. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dec 26th 2012 new

Sandwich bag full of Cheerios usually worked for us.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) John-847566 said: Sandwich bag full of Cheerios usually worked for us.
(Quote) John-847566 said:

Sandwich bag full of Cheerios usually worked for us.

--hide--

You might ask those who have to pick up the drool-soaked and/or smashed Cheerios from the pews and floor their opinions of how well they work...

Dec 26th 2012 new
I'd say just go to church and ignore the audience Kids are kids and toddler would normally move around. Reminder is good but really moving is their nature at this stage. Smile. Kids do grow up and proper guidance will make them learn. biggrin
Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Better yet - keep going to Mass and just smile back,i gnore the dirty looks, and say a qu...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Better yet - keep going to Mass and just smile back,i gnore the dirty looks, and say a quick prayer for them.

--hide--

Great advice! Do what you can to teach them to behave but know they can't be perfect. You can always step to the back if there's a melt-down, but otherwise just do your best.

A few weeks ago a lector stood up before Mass to announce the openning hymn. Then she said "Please silence your cell phones AND YOUR CHILDREN!" There was an audible ghasp from the pews.

In his homily, the priest said that God loves to have little children in church. He said he understood that parents do their best to teach little ones to be quiet but that Goid just loves to hear their voices too during Mass. He also said that if God did not like little children, he would not have chosen to become one himself and that we should remember that when we get irritated and impatient with kids.

The lector was bright fuscia. I thought she would have a stroke. I'm sure the two of them had words after Mass.

It's good you bring your toddler to Mass. Eventually it will get easier.

Posts 11 - 20 of 38