Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Everyone I know wants to see it, but we have been too busy.

Anyone see it yet?

Is it as good as they say it would be?

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Everyone I know wants to see it, but we have been too busy.Anyone see it yet?I...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Everyone I know wants to see it, but we have been too busy.

Anyone see it yet?

Is it as good as they say it would be?

--hide--

Now I am hearing some negative publicity on the movie. It seems Russel Crowe's singing is not
the best. A lot of the other recognized performers have good voices, even though we have not seen them
displayed.

It must be that Mr. Crowe looks smashing in his 19 century duds, and that took precedent over his
singing ability.

Dec 28th 2012 new

going to see it tonight. hope it embodies all of the broadway play's musical score and drama. the broadway play is among my top 5 musical productions.

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Kate-577820 said: going to see it tonight. hope it embodies all of the broadway play's musical score and drama. ...
(Quote) Kate-577820 said:

going to see it tonight. hope it embodies all of the broadway play's musical score and drama. the broadway play is among my top 5 musical productions.

--hide--

Can't wait to hear your opinion. Let us know.

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Kate-577820 said: going to see it tonight. hope it embodies all of the broadway play's musical score and drama. ...
(Quote) Kate-577820 said:

--hide--

I saw it last night with my daughter (who was in the local children's production last year). Previously, I had seen my daughter's production 5 times. I LOVE the music. The movie can be much more graphic than the play, and you can understand some of the lyrics better. It really was Very Good, from the scenery, acting, music, etc. Russell Crowe did fine, you could understand him, and his "singing" could just as well be "speaking".

It makes you understand just what the French "slaves" (populace) went through before the Revolution, and why the Revolution would have happened. I'm curious what people who had no idea of the storyline thought after seeing the movie. Basically, there is no spoken dialogue, only singing (dialogue). Unique!

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I saw it last night with my daughter (who was in the local children's production l...
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said:

I saw it last night with my daughter (who was in the local children's production last year). Previously, I had seen my daughter's production 5 times. I LOVE the music. The movie can be much more graphic than the play, and you can understand some of the lyrics better. It really was Very Good, from the scenery, acting, music, etc. Russell Crowe did fine, you could understand him, and his "singing" could just as well be "speaking".

It makes you understand just what the French "slaves" (populace) went through before the Revolution, and why the Revolution would have happened. I'm curious what people who had no idea of the storyline thought after seeing the movie. Basically, there is no spoken dialogue, only singing (dialogue). Unique!

--hide--

Actually, the storyline takes place after the French Revolution and the defeat of Napoleon. The barricades are an uprising that took place in 1848.

The Revolution didn't help anyone in France, and by the time it was spent, so was every franc they had.

www.audiosancto.org

www.audiosancto.org

Dec 31st 2012 new

Beautiful as a musical film, impressive acting by all the characters especially Anne Hathaway, and the Thénardiers were fabulously entertaining! There were a few scenes that were difficult to watch because of the serious nature (namely the scenes following Fantine's dismissal from the factory and the killing of people at the baricades).

The actors put a lot of emotion into their songs; dialogue was very rare. The few words that were actually spoken intermitently were so convincing that I missed having dialogue, and I think this film could have been even more powerful presented with more spoken interaction among characters between songs. 9 on a scale of 1-10 though!

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Alena-887599 said: Beautiful as a musical film, impressive acting by all the characters especially Anne Hathaway, an...
(Quote) Alena-887599 said:

Beautiful as a musical film, impressive acting by all the characters especially Anne Hathaway, and the Thénardiers were fabulously entertaining! There were a few scenes that were difficult to watch because of the serious nature (namely the scenes following Fantine's dismissal from the factory and the killing of people at the baricades).

The actors put a lot of emotion into their songs; dialogue was very rare. The few words that were actually spoken intermitently were so convincing that I missed having dialogue, and I think this film could have been even more powerful presented with more spoken interaction among characters between songs. 9 on a scale of 1-10 though!

--hide--

I will be going tomorrow night. I am anxious to see it. Thank you for your review.

Jan 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I will be going tomorrow night. I am anxious to see it. Thank you for your review.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I will be going tomorrow night. I am anxious to see it. Thank you for your review.

--hide--
Did you see it the other night? What's the verdict?
Jan 4th 2013 new
I saw it and thought it bordered on being a masterpiece. I have read the book and it is one of my all time favorites. The movie was incredible. There were scenes in the movie where the audience clapped after the scene. You just don't see that in movies. Not all of the voices were Broadway voices, but it didn't suffer at all because of that. The acting was amazing and I think it could win a ton of awards. Go see it.
Posts 1 - 10 of 33