Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Dec 26th 2012 new

Two of my three were HORRIBLE in church. Those were my days of just trying to be blessed by being present. Weddings were the worst...esp. my own brother's ....ugh!

Each child is unique and special. Jesus loves children!

I have learned something very special. The older people of your parish LOVE hearing the young ones. It gives them hope, faith, and re-living their own experiences. By bringing our children to church, we are giving to our church and community. We are passing on our faith.

What I still have for my young neices & nephews, is a church bag. This is only for church. Inside is special religious books (some are just books from dollar stores and pop-up books and Christmas/Easter/Saints) Then a no noise stuffed animal. Yes many animals make noise so its got to be an animal that doesn't make noise...ie rabbit or fish. The material in it can't make noise either. Prayer cards on a ring is also a really nice for the slightly older child (4yrs).

The ironic thing is your child will remember none of this, but you will.

I believe God blesses mothers who attend mass with young ones!!!

Dec 26th 2012 new

Peace be with you.

First, I used to be a baby, and my mother told me I was very rowdy. When I see a rowdy kid at Mass or elsewhere I silently thank my mother and think of poetric justice :)

Second, If I truly take into the 30 parts of Mass and I believe that I shall not be scared in the Valley of Death then no crying baby will deter me from the celebraction.

Third, Jesus was a baby too.

Fourth, I have yet to have the chance to procreate, I dare not let a bad attitude affect my attempts for procreation!

Last, sit down and deeply think how you would feel if you lived in a world with no babies...that is somehow only 1% of the women were fertile! Sit down and think what it would be like to not hear a baby for years, then one day hear one cry.

When/If I get married, I was thinking about my wife and I taking turns to attend Mass/babysitting on Sundays until the child can behave.

How eerie would it be to sit during a Christmas Mass and realized you have yet to see a baby at the regularly filled Masses for years....how sad would that be...I know we have nerves and some parents let kids run wild, but I think of the five points above when I hear a baby cry.

----------

When it is my wife's turn to care for the baby two in the morning, I will get out of bed too and do something, so my wife can return to bed with me following her to bed so she can have a sense of closure and thus faster to sleep without me already there sleeping and her getting mad. :)

Dec 27th 2012 new
I agree the timin of mass makes a difference. I also found sitting in front of church--not the cry room ---limited distractions. I used to quietly whisper how many songs were left when they started to get restless and count down the number. Made things more manageable. Once I rejoined the choir my children would sit within my line of vision and not fidget when they were with their grandmother. They could see me and I could see them.
Dec 27th 2012 new

I always took my kids to church, and we sat up front so they could see what is going on at the altar. They had books, cheerios, coloring, even hotwheels cars. If they didn't behave, I would ask them if they wanted to go to the crying room. The answer was always "no". They didn't like the crying room because it was too noisy and crowded. So it was great incentive to behave.

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: A few weeks ago a lector stood up before Mass to announce the openning hymn. Then she said "...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

A few weeks ago a lector stood up before Mass to announce the openning hymn. Then she said "Please silence your cell phones AND YOUR CHILDREN!" There was an audible ghasp from the pews.

--hide--

So she has to tell us where's the switch. laughing

Dec 29th 2012 new

[quote]David-364112 said:

Great advice! Do what you can to teach them to behave but know they can't be perfect. You can always step to the back if there's a melt-down, but otherwise just do your best.

A few weeks ago a lector stood up before Mass to announce the openning hymn. Then she said "Please silence your cell phones AND YOUR CHILDREN!" There was an audible ghasp from the pews.

In his homily, the priest said that God loves to have little children in church. He said he understood that parents do their best to teach little ones to be quiet but that Goid just loves to hear their voices too during Mass. He also said that if God did not like little children, he would not have chosen to become one himself and that we should remember that when we get irritated and impatient with kids.

The lector was bright fuscia. I thought she would have a stroke. I'm sure the two of them had words after Mass.

It's good you bring your toddler to Mass. Eventually it will get easier.[quote]

I'm glad the priest did not share the lectures opinion. Sometimes I think the people at my church do not like children. I wish sitting up front would work but given her personally I highly doubt it. I think I just need to go to a church with a better cry room. At my church people who do not have little kids sit where parents with kids are supposed to sit and then they get upset when they are disturbed. What do they expect?

Dec 29th 2012 new

My son (youngest of three) was pretty active in church. He would fall asleep under the pew for years. I didn't mind; he was in church with us. He now attends Mass on weekdays at college all by himself. So plntin the seed at a young age is important.

Also, have you noticed that church is one of the few places in our busy society where children actually get a chance to cuddle quietly with their parents? They are bonding physically with them but also spiritually, too. I like the idea of bringing the children to the front of churh where they will see what is going on and become engaged.

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: I'm glad the priest did not share the lectures opinion. Sometimes I think the people at my...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

I'm glad the priest did not share the lectures opinion. Sometimes I think the people at my church do not like children. I wish sitting up front would work but given her personally I highly doubt it. I think I just need to go to a church with a better cry room. At my church people who do not have little kids sit where parents with kids are supposed to sit and then they get upset when they are disturbed. What do they expect?

--hide--

Such a dour lot. You can always find another parish. There's one I often attend which is FULL of young faamiles and kids. The older people beam at the kids. Thepriest says how lovely it is to hear the children lift their voices at mass.

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Such a dour lot. You can always find another parish. There's one I often attend ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Such a dour lot. You can always find another parish. There's one I often attend which is FULL of young faamiles and kids. The older people beam at the kids. Thepriest says how lovely it is to hear the children lift their voices at mass.

--hide--

When I was a child we had a pastor who would beller alot and he frightened me. wide eyed He hollered to a parent leaving with a crying child, "Sit back down, let the child cry. God gave him a voice, let him use it!" I wasn't so afraid of him after that. scratchchin biggrin

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Joanne-846477 said: When I was a child we had a pastor who would beller alot and he frightened me. He hollered to a ...
(Quote) Joanne-846477 said:

When I was a child we had a pastor who would beller alot and he frightened me. He hollered to a parent leaving with a crying child, "Sit back down, let the child cry. God gave him a voice, let him use it!" I wasn't so afraid of him after that.

--hide--

What I don't think many people realize is that for many people with hearing loss, extraneous noises are more than a minor distraction -- they can make it next to impossible for the person to understand someone speaking at the same time, especially for a prolonged period such as during a homily. While parents seem to look at the situation from the perspective of how much/how long their child is making noise, for the rest of the congregation it doesn't make much difference if one child is fussing for ten minutes or ten children are fussing for one minute each...

Posts 21 - 30 of 38