Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics even exist?
Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics e...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics even exist?
--hide--

At least in most parts of the United States, the relative scarcity of Eastern Catholics is undoubtedly a major factor. I attended Catholic school for grades 1-7 and Eastern Catholicism was never mentioned. But, then again, true Latin Catholicism was not very common in those classes, either.

Dec 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: At least in most parts of the United States, the relative scarcity of Eastern Catholics is undou...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

At least in most parts of the United States, the relative scarcity of Eastern Catholics is undoubtedly a major factor. I attended Catholic school for grades 1-7 and Eastern Catholicism was never mentioned. But, then again, true Latin Catholicism was not very common in those classes, either.

--hide--

I first found out about Eastern Catholicism soon after I converted because one of the people in the Newman Club at my college was a Byzantine Catholic.
Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics e...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics even exist?
--hide--

I hate to say it, but in most parts of the country they don't. There are far fewer Eastern Catholic parishes than even Eastern Orthodox parishes, so it is not really a surprise.

Dec 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I hate to say it, but in most parts of the country they don't. There are far fewer Easter...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

I hate to say it, but in most parts of the country they don't. There are far fewer Eastern Catholic parishes than even Eastern Orthodox parishes, so it is not really a surprise.

--hide--

I live in the Northeast where there are a lot of Eastern Catholic parishes.
Dec 28th 2012 new

--hide--

it's not intentional. there just aren't very many of them. i live in a city with a relatively large population of eastern catholics but there's never much mingling. they are ussually so closely associated with one ethnic group that they don'tinteract with others in the universal church.

Dec 29th 2012 new

--hide--

We are all Roman Catholics but are either Latin or Easern Rite. :)

In my experience, people who hear "Eastern" immediately think of the Othodox Church which is in schism and dismiss it as one might a Protestant Church.

It also might depend on what part of the country you are from and the circles you run in. Detroit area has a large population of Middle Eastern Catholics. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have a large population of Eastern Europe Catholics. I'm Latin Rite by birth but never went to a non eastern rite mass until I was in college. The youth groups and parish involvment of the Maronite and Byzantines in the community were so enormous (much more than any of the other Latin Rite churches) that you had to be living under a rock to not be aware of the different rites.

Dec 29th 2012 new
(Quote) Katy-14937 said: We are all Roman Catholics but are either Latin or Easern Rite. :) In my experienc...
(Quote) Katy-14937 said:

In my experience, people who hear "Eastern" immediately think of the Othodox Church which is in schism and dismiss it as one might a Protestant Church.

It also might depend on what part of the country you are from and the circles you run in. Detroit area has a large population of Middle Eastern Catholics. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have a large population of Eastern Europe Catholics. I'm Latin Rite by birth but never went to a non eastern rite mass until I was in college. The youth groups and parish involvment of the Maronite and Byzantines in the community were so enormous (much more than any of the other Latin Rite churches) that you had to be living under a rock to not be aware of the different rites.

--hide--

I'm talking with a local Byzantine Catholic pastor in the D.C. area about starting a singles group for Eastern Catholics, and interested Latin Catholics, to build a sense of community among our young people. Most Eastern Catholic parishes are great for picking up brides if you are in your 70s or 80s. LOL.
Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I'm talking with a local Byzantine Catholic pastor in the D.C. area about starting a singles ...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

I'm talking with a local Byzantine Catholic pastor in the D.C. area about starting a singles group for Eastern Catholics, and interested Latin Catholics, to build a sense of community among our young people. Most Eastern Catholic parishes are great for picking up brides if you are in your 70s or 80s. LOL.
--hide--

Unfortunately, they are not very good at singles for people not in the later years, such as those in their 30s.

Dec 30th 2012 new
(Quote) Katy-14937 said: We are all Roman Catholics but are either Latin or Easern Rite. :) In my experienc...
(Quote) Katy-14937 said:

--hide--

With the exception of those of us who are from the Latin Church, nobody from the Maronite Catholic parish or the Byzantine Catholic mission I attend consider themselves "Roman" Catholics.
Posts 1 - 10 of 41