Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Marriage License: Yes or No

Dec 28th 2012 new

This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I like to hear the opinions of others of getting a marriage license or just getting a common law marriage like the old days. I know some states do not recognize common law marriages. I am not looking for your response in the difficulty of a marriage not having a license or what the license actually does in terms of the states rights in your marriage. Thus, how do you feel a license is important to your (future) marriage or how will not having a license adds validity to your marriage of lifelong commitment for good or for worse, richer or for poorer?

God bless.

Dec 28th 2012 new

The Catholic Church requires that you obtain a marriage license in your state of residence.

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: The Catholic Church requires that you obtain a marriage license in your state of residence. ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

The Catholic Church requires that you obtain a marriage license in your state of residence.

--hide--

The Catholic Church requires that we act in accordance with all civil laws which do not violate the conscience of our faith, including marriage laws.

theheart

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I l...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I like to hear the opinions of others of getting a marriage license or just getting a common law marriage like the old days. I know some states do not recognize common law marriages. I am not looking for your response in the difficulty of a marriage not having a license or what the license actually does in terms of the states rights in your marriage. Thus, how do you feel a license is important to your (future) marriage or how will not having a license adds validity to your marriage of lifelong commitment for good or for worse, richer or for poorer?

God bless.

--hide--

Since you can't get married in the Church without a marriage license, it is absolutely required.

Another term for common law marriage is fornication, which is a grave sin.

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I l...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

God bless.

--hide--

To my knowledge, it's required. I know that my relatives and friends have had to file beforehand. You sign it during the ceremony, and the best man and maid/matron of honor serve as the 2 witnesses.

Dec 28th 2012 new

Hi William! It's my understanding that a common law marriage only goes into effect after the parties have lived together for a number of years - typically 6 or 7 - as "man and wife." I also believe that one needs to be living in a common law state for this to take place. Chelle

Dec 28th 2012 new

I think the license is the civil side of marriage, where as the sacrament is the spirtual side. Just as the church has to okay that you are getting married, so too does "society" have to approve it, with the state and its laws being representative of our societal norms. The state gets to decide if I am healthy enough (the blood tests), and who I am marrying (not first cousins), and they are keeping records on this (so I can't marry someone else too).

I think getting the license is pretty official. It's the "public record." To me, it matters.

Not more so than the Church's approval, but it does add something for me.

Dec 28th 2012 new
In the state of NY, you have to get your license first, then the church.
Dec 28th 2012 new
In the state of NY, you have to get your license first, then the church.
Posts 1 - 10 of 26