Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I was wondering what the general thought on living in christian community is out there. Obviously it's important to build "community" within our parishes but taking it a step further, is there a need for "intentional community living" ? By that I mean, living in close proximity to one another, celebrating significant (and insignificant) life events, calling each other to holiness, being of one mind about issues of faith and morality, and commitment to community prayer, as well as evangelism, etc.

12/27/2012 new

(Quote) Nicole-894314 said: I was wondering what the general thought on living in christian community is out there. Obviousl...
(Quote) Nicole-894314 said:

I was wondering what the general thought on living in christian community is out there. Obviously it's important to build "community" within our parishes but taking it a step further, is there a need for "intentional community living" ? By that I mean, living in close proximity to one another, celebrating significant (and insignificant) life events, calling each other to holiness, being of one mind about issues of faith and morality, and commitment to community prayer, as well as evangelism, etc.

--hide--
Greetings, Nicole. We'd like to extend our welcome to you for joining us in the CM forums. You'll find this a good place to share ideas, gain knowledge and wisdom from others, and benefit from their personal experiences. We hope you will be active here and come back often. biggrin

Offhand, I don't have any comments about your inquiry, but others certainly will.

12/28/2012 new

(Quote) Nicole-894314 said: I was wondering what the general thought on living in christian community is out there. Obviousl...

--hide--

Truthfully I've been wondering the same thing... it's hard in my area because it's so rural (closest parish is 45min drive) and I'm in the Bible Belt... but it is a great question!

12/28/2012 new

I belong to several 'communities' in which we try to live out our Catholic lives more purposefully.
I check in at least daily with my on-line Catholic Mom Community that I've belonged to for 8 years -- we pray for each other, share our struggles, counsel each other in living out our vocations as Catholics, mothers, and wives, help each other respond with love even in terrible situations with spouses, jobs or extended family, we educate each other on Catholic teachings, practices, ways to recognize and overcome sins especially root sins, and daily encourage each other.
I am in formation to join the OFS (Order of Franciscans Secular) which is a lay community trying to follow St Francis in living loving kind lives of purpose -- we meet monthly for instruction and then a time of fellowship and prayer and go on retreats together or spend time just in regular ways rejoicing together and pray for each other daily and come to help each other at the drop of a hat in our needs. We are a tight local group but are part of the worldwide Franciscan community.
I am part of the group of daily communicants who also try to stay after Mass to pray the rosary together many days.
I teach rel ed to the preschoolers through kindergarten kids so meet many parents that way and have developed friendships and kind of act as a mentor to many of them who look to me for help living our faith -- I've helped a few recognize that just dropping their child off for an hour and a half each week is not enough and that they should be attending Mass too -- since I'm a single mom and have 6 kids they see each me parenting each week and ask for my insights in their struggles, etc -- we parents can support each other in great ways.
I belong to a Bible study group and we've met and grown over the last 4 years.
I belong to a cursillo prayer group and we meet monthly but support each other in prayer and friendship all year and see each other often, although mostly at church functions and daily Mass.

I think it would be wonderful living in a community of like-minded Catholics, but am happy living in the mixed community of my town, being an example of hopefully a good Catholic and enjoying people of many walks of life

12/28/2012 new
(Quote) Nicole-894314 said: I was wondering what the general thought on living in christian community is out there. Obviously it's imp...

--hide--

I agree that community is more than just Sunday Mass.

Rachel gave you some great real life examples. You may want to check your diocese website and see if any parishes have a prayer group, cenacle or a lay group such as secular Francisicans or Opus Dei. Even visiting with shut ins can help you grow in love. Check with your parish priest.

Blessings
12/28/2012 new

there are often problems with such intentional communities. our bishop forcibly disbanded one back in the 1990's because a man with a compelling personality took charge and it became cult-like.

in chicago there was another co-ed community where tey lived celibate in one house, pooling income and resources, and furthering what they saw as social justice issues. the cardinal just ignored them.

12/29/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: there are often problems with such intentional communities. our bishop forcibly disbanded one bac...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

there are often problems with such intentional communities. our bishop forcibly disbanded one back in the 1990's because a man with a compelling personality took charge and it became cult-like.

in chicago there was another co-ed community where tey lived celibate in one house, pooling income and resources, and furthering what they saw as social justice issues. the cardinal just ignored them.

--hide--
The question may be difficult to answer because of varying interpretations. I initially saw it as you did -- some type of communal (or nearly so) arrangement.

Rachel has added a completely different dimension to it which changes the viewpoint considerably.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7