Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

When two people marry or remarry later in life, there are more items to sort through than just wedding gifts. Marriage between two people with significant histories involves important decisions concerning finances, children,assets, housing, retirement and more. Here are five topics that you will want to discuss with your potential spouse right away to ensure that your best financial interests, both as individuals and as a couple, are protected in your new union.

Read more: www.investopedia.com
12/28/2012 new
Great advice! I've thought about these things since I'm a single mom. Another thing it makes one think about is premarital agreements. Not that I've had one or advocate for them but I can see why people in second marriages would think that way. I'm glad my financial house is in order!
12/29/2012 new

Thank you, John. There were a few things in the article that I hadn't known. Yes, getting remarried is quite complex, and would require a lot of faith in my mate and a lot of love. Definitely a more "eyes wide open" union than the first time.

12/29/2012 new

John, thank you for this. All these matter sure are very important and I too think, that, because most of us end 40's, middle 50's and more ARE very much settled in financial and career matters and therefore these are reasons why many singles in this age are not so spontaneous in finding the love of life and wanting to get married.

It is simply for many difficult weeping to share two cents hersheyskiss hersheyskiss ... BUT when the right one comes lady's handkerchief knight-errant , who knows shhh Blinded by love biggrin

12/29/2012 new

(Quote) Annette-23603 said: Great advice! I've thought about these things since I'm a single mom. Another thing it makes one think ...
(Quote) Annette-23603 said: Great advice! I've thought about these things since I'm a single mom. Another thing it makes one think about is premarital agreements. Not that I've had one or advocate for them but I can see why people in second marriages would think that way. I'm glad my financial house is in order!
--hide--
If by premarital agreements you're referring to prenuptial agreements, you should be aware that they are not allowed by the Church. The reasoning behind it is that it automatically presumes that a divorce situation is not out of the question, thus going against the Church's teaching about the permanency of marriage. There are certain arrangements that meet with the Church's approval concerning financial agreements, such as those involving children of a previous marriage, but the scope is limited.

12/29/2012 new

interesting.... pre cana for the elderly! biggrin

12/30/2012 new

(Quote) Zoe-337980 said: interesting.... pre cana for the elderly!
(Quote) Zoe-337980 said:

interesting.... pre cana for the elderly!

--hide--

Come on now, Zoe...the elderly??? irked faint eyebrow It is all a state of mind. wink

- Elizabeth

12/30/2012 new

(Quote) John-711000 said: When two people marry or remarry later in life, there are more items to sort through than just wed...
(Quote) John-711000 said:

When two people marry or remarry later in life, there are more items to sort through than just wedding gifts. Marriage between two people with significant histories involves important decisions concerning finances, children,assets, housing, retirement and more. Here are five topics that you will want to discuss with your potential spouse right away to ensure that your best financial interests, both as individuals and as a couple, are protected in your new union.

Read more: www.investopedia.com

--hide--

Retirement accounts (such as 401ks) are of particular concern. A prenup cannot protect them as you are not yet married and they fall under ERISA. Therefore, the new spouse has to agree to waive their rights to them after marriage so any children prior to marriage can be named as a beneficiary, if that is what people agree too. People have lost their retirements to a new spouse instead of it going to their children as they intended.

12/30/2012 new

Personally, I would not want all my savings going to a new spouse and excluding my kids. They were with me through all the frugal years of saving and they deserve it.

12/30/2012 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: If by premarital agreements you're referring to prenuptial agreements, you should be aware that they are not ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

If by premarital agreements you're referring to prenuptial agreements, you should be aware that they are not allowed by the Church. The reasoning behind it is that it automatically presumes that a divorce situation is not out of the question, thus going against the Church's teaching about the permanency of marriage. There are certain arrangements that meet with the Church's approval concerning financial agreements, such as those involving children of a previous marriage, but the scope is limited.

--hide--

It makes sense to have some verbal discussions about money well before marriage, whether one has children from a prior marriage or not. I support that, but not "pre-nups." Mention of needing a prenup is a good way to lose a fiance. No one, and I mean no one appreciates being considered a "threat."

An individual's credit report is much like a balance sheet. It shows one's credit worthiness at one point in time, e.g., it can be changed for the better or for the worse, and is not a good indicator of the person in general. No one is exempt from life difficulties such as critical illnesses, unexpected life problems, and loses of income. Any and all of the above would affect a credit report.

Better, I would find someone who I think has good judgment, or rather whose ideals are similar to my own about money and living in general.
Posts 1 - 10 of 42