Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Long Distance

Dec 22nd 2012 new

Hello everyone!

Since some of my fellow CM members have brought up the topic of long distance, I would like some of your thoughts on it! If/when you're messaging someone long distance (or even in the same state for that matter), and you talk for many months but never go past e-mail messages (exchange of phone numbers, talking face-to-face via skype, or actually bringing up the topic of meeting in person), then are you just really good penpals? smile What do you all think?

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said: Hello everyone! Since some of my fellow CM members have brought up the topic of long ...
(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said:

Hello everyone!

Since some of my fellow CM members have brought up the topic of long distance, I would like some of your thoughts on it! If/when you're messaging someone long distance (or even in the same state for that matter), and you talk for many months but never go past e-mail messages (exchange of phone numbers, talking face-to-face via skype, or actually bringing up the topic of meeting in person), then are you just really good penpals? What do you all think?

--hide--

Everybody has different circumstances in their lives. I had an LDR with a woman who lived, quite literally, on the other side of the planet. I was able to find a cheap solution for phone calls (before skype), but it was a while before we could meet. Even after she moved to the US for work, it still took some flying and driving for me to visit her.

More recently, I met a CMer who lived only half way across the country. We talked on the phone pretty quickly, and I set myself a deadline of about two months to actually meet in person. If I hadn't been able to get away from work, or if there had been a dramatic increase in flight costs, or some other hindrance, it might have taken longer. But, I made my two month deadline.

Of course, neither situation worked out. Why else would I still be here! I've had bunches of correspondences, some have made it to the phone. A few to a face to face meeting (the local ones make it to coffee pretty quick). Each is different and has it's own time, I think.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

In my opinion, if it is just emails and fun chatting, then you're just pen pals. You can't have relationship with someone you've never met and never will meet. If that person is unwilling to go any further, then there is no possibility for a relationship.

Dec 30th 2012 new
New Poster!!!

You could switch from pen pals to friends with some Skype convos. Ultimately, I hope for this site is to meet my husband and to get married; however, I do think that making like-minded friends or penpals is a plus, too. So I would attempt to take it to a friendship from a penpal status, but I think all of the above would work out for me.
Dec 30th 2012 new

Hi Bernadette;

I think the relationship and its beginnings are determined by the people relating. It will go its course according to God's will however...one must be willing to take an interest and be willing to travel for Love.

If that is not the case, it should be stated at the beginning of any communication with another person whether you are looking for love or friendship - and where!

For example, I am from California but I work in Virginia. Anything can happen and does happen - and when you least expect it. I hope to find the Love of my life at some point and I realize that he may not live in Virginia or California so I am quite open at this point and will just see what happens.

A member asked me yesterday what would I do when I found my Love in Virginia (he assumed I would find love in Virginia). Since I had just come back from visiting my family and friends for Christmas I said "I don't know, my heart is in California."

Life is funny sometimes and knowing it is the Lord who orders my steps and not on my time but his; is good enough for me. So, I will adapt to whatever he requires because ours is a Divine Love and I 'get' it.

What we all want from each other here on earth is to be Loved. If it turns out that the man I belong with is in Canada or Europe, then I guess I will just have to look up the mileage specials and make sure my passport is current biggrin

Dec 30th 2012 new

If he has not indicated a desire to call you or visit you, than you are most likely just pen-pals. I could be wrong though. If you are interested in him, it might be best to directly ask him. Often, the best approach with guys is to be direct.

Dec 30th 2012 new

Hello, everybody! I'd like to say "thanks to all" who replied. Your responses were very much appreciated!

Posts 1 - 7 of 7