Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 28th 2012 new
In the state of NY, you have to get your license first, then the church.
Dec 28th 2012 new
In the state of NY, you have to get your license first, then the church.
Dec 28th 2012 new
sorry about the comments repetition, don't know how to delete them
Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I l...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I like to hear the opinions of others of getting a marriage license or just getting a common law marriage like the old days. I know some states do not recognize common law marriages. I am not looking for your response in the difficulty of a marriage not having a license or what the license actually does in terms of the states rights in your marriage. Thus, how do you feel a license is important to your (future) marriage or how will not having a license adds validity to your marriage of lifelong commitment for good or for worse, richer or for poorer?

God bless.

--hide--

no priest will marry a couple without a license.

it's a simple formality so the state can definitively say that 2 people are married. why on earth would you choose to make a stand on this issue??

Dec 31st 2012 new
I find it odd how the Church has tied its spiritual authority to the physical authority of temporal governments. Hasn't the legitimacy of marriage predated Judaism and Christianity?
Jan 7th 2013 new

Thank you Joe for your response.

When I think of license; I think of that moment of Jesus with the coin and Caeser. Go look up the history of the word "coin". It has to do with the meeting of two walls on a castle. If you weaken the "koin" of the castle, then you weaken the structure itself. Thus, if you debase the coin with lesser metals you will weaken the country using the coin. Ummm...sound familar today?

License denotes permission, which means you need a permit, which means you are not free. Marriage licenses recalls to mind that scene in the film "Braveheart" of the bride being taken away for the night by that English Lord. I also think of the five-letter word beginning with "w" and rhymes with bore. Besides, my question of this topic has to do with how you feel about not getting a license. Did you know if you own you car in the state of Nebraska you are exempt for car inspections? If you have a certificate of title you do not "own" your car.

Go spend some time speaking with a divorve attorney on the low-down of a marriage license. Bring a paper bag with you too so you do not ruin your jacket. An inheritance tax is not a tax, it means the state owns your parents goods and you have to "buy" out the state to get some of it into your possession. If you are bewildered at my standpoint, then you are most likely suffering from the symptons of psychosis. Go look word up too. For God Alone.

Jan 7th 2013 new

Psychosis scratchchin

Young whipper snappers nowdays, geeze.

First of all I don't see how Estate tax relates to the title and second of all the car thing too. THings such as wills, etc., need to be carefully planned because yes, inheritance is taxed sad

Anyway, you need a license civilly to get all the marital benefits. Have ya heard of the word DINKS wink Of course that is just the legal paper portion to help with assets, insurances, housing, kids, etc., the spiritual part starts after the I Do's in front of the priest and your family and friends and witnesses. The church part is under God.

Don't think to much into the license and why would you seek a divorce attorney for any opinions eyepopping laughing

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: ... my question of this topic has to do with how you feel about not getting a license.
(Quote) William-848056 said:

... my question of this topic has to do with how you feel about not getting a license.

--hide--

And the point of the answers offered are that it doesn't matter how we feel about not obtaining a marriage license, because the Church recognizes marriage laws as just civil laws, and will not allow a couple to be married in the Church without one. And until the Holy See deems civil marriage laws to be invalid, that's the way it will remain.

So... save your pennies. two cents You'll need them for that license if you plan on ever getting married. smile

theheart

Jan 7th 2013 new

My apologies, but could someone please explain to me (German) what exactly you mean with a "marriage license"?!

I wonder if there is something similar in Germany. Perpaps just a misunderstanding on my side... scratchchin

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Kerstin-119008 said: My apologies, but could someone please explain to me (German) what exactly you mean with a &quo...
(Quote) Kerstin-119008 said:

My apologies, but could someone please explain to me (German) what exactly you mean with a "marriage license"?!

I wonder if there is something similar in Germany. Perpaps just a misunderstanding on my side...

--hide--

Contrary to the protestations of our friend in his OP, marriage licences are simply a legal registration stating that a couple is recognized as being married by the state.

theheart

Posts 11 - 20 of 26