Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Do I need an annulment?

Dec 30th 2012 new

Hi there, wave

I'm wondering about annulments. I have never been married by the church before. I lived with a man for 2 years, then got married by the court. we were together for 4 years were separated for 6 years and finally got a divorce last year I've talked to 2 different priest in 2 different parishes and they both have told me I am eligible to be married by the church. Neither has told me I need an annulment though. Although, I don't see any obstacles to get one, CM is telling me I need paperwork to be able to get married and see "matches" here. Any ideas or Suggestions?

Dec 30th 2012 new
(Quote) Sandra-869626 said: Hi there, I'm wondering about annulments. I have never been married by the church b...
(Quote) Sandra-869626 said:

Hi there,

I'm wondering about annulments. I have never been married by the church before. I lived with a man for 2 years, then got married by the court. we were together for 4 years were separated for 6 years and finally got a divorce last year I've talked to 2 different priest in 2 different parishes and they both have told me I am eligible to be married by the church. Neither has told me I need an annulment though. Although, I don't see any obstacles to get one, CM is telling me I need paperwork to be able to get married and see "matches" here. Any ideas or Suggestions?

--hide--

Theoretically this is true, but you still need to file. It will be a short process, provide your Baptismal certificate, marriage and divorce decrees. It is called "lack of form" because a Catholic cannot get married outside the Church unless there was a dispensation granted ahead of time.

Samething happened to me.
Dec 30th 2012 new
And welcome to the forums Sandra!
Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-869626 said: Hi there, I'm wondering about annulments. I have never been married by the church...

Hi there,

--hide--

The short answer is yes.

The good news is that it should be the simpler form of process, because you weren't married in church. It's usually granted quickly and without much hassle. Contact your diocese. They'll help you with it.

Dec 30th 2012 new

Welcome, Sandra!

Yes, Joanna and David are right. You need to file but the process will be short (based on lack of form). The whole reason is to be able to confirm that, although you had a real marriage relationship, you likely did not have a valid marriage (a union blessed by God).

Best,

Lisa Duffy

Dec 31st 2012 new

Thank you joanna, i will have to go ask about that

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: (Quote) Sandra-869626 said: I'm wondering about annulments. I have never bee...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:
Quote:
Sandra-869626 said:

Theoretically this is true, but you still need to file. It will be a short process, provide your Baptismal certificate, marriage and divorce decrees. It is called "lack of form" because a Catholic cannot get married outside the Church unless there was a dispensation granted ahead of time.

Samething happened to me.
--hide--

All of the responses so far are correct -- assuming at least one of the spouses was Catholic at the time of the marriage and that there was no dispensation for the marriage outside the Church. If neither spouse was Catholic at the time the requirement for canonical form does not apply and a full annulment process is required.

Dec 31st 2012 new
(Quote) Sandra-869626 said: Hi there, I'm wondering about annulments. I have never been married by the church b...

Hi there,

--hide--

Oops, Moderator Jerry is correct. We all assumed you were Catholic when you wed. If you weren't and your husband wasn't that is a whole different story.
Dec 31st 2012 new
Lol! Wow! Yes I am Catholic and so is he. I will definitely get the ball rolling on that. The divorce alone took 8 months since he wasn't around to protest. I just feel I need to get everything in order before getting committed again. Quite a task! Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I appreciate it.
Jan 2nd 2013 new

Same with me - I was not married in the Catholic Church - so this is good news - that it is a mere matter of (lack of) form. I was previously basically read the riot act by someone on this issue, so it's a relief that it is a matter of lack of form.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13