Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

"God's Will" in dating

Dec 31st 2012 new

In my short time on CM, I have read a number of fora posts including a reference to "God's will." That you must be open to "God's will" in a match so you need to consider persons who perhaps do not have all the qualities you desire. Yet at the same time there have been posts stating that it's really up to you in regard to your qualifications regarding age, appearance, life experience. This seems to be doublespeak to me.

I have a much broader perspective now on God's will and discernment than I used to. I really think God's will is much more dynamic that it is often made out to be - and must be if we believe in human freedom. The fact is, all of us thwart God's will every day - it's called sin. So if we thwart God's will in little ways each day, what makes us think we're going to get it right in big decisions? I think God's will is that we learn how to LOVE during our time here on earth, and because we often screw up this plan for a good portion of our lives, He continues to place new ways to teach us to love in our path and hopefully we will embrace some of these and learn a little more about love during this journey called life.

I don't assume that we'll get it figured out here in this CM thread, since confusion over this was one of the reasons the whole Protestant Reformation happened, but maybe we can all get a fuller understanding for ourselves.

So what's your perspective on God's will?

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: In my short time on CM, I have read a number of fora posts including a reference to "God&#...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

In my short time on CM, I have read a number of fora posts including a reference to "God's will." That you must be open to "God's will" in a match so you need to consider persons who perhaps do not have all the qualities you desire. Yet at the same time there have been posts stating that it's really up to you in regard to your qualifications regarding age, appearance, life experience. This seems to be doublespeak to me.

I have a much broader perspective now on God's will and discernment than I used to. I really think God's will is much more dynamic that it is often made out to be - and must be if we believe in human freedom. The fact is, all of us thwart God's will every day - it's called sin. So if we thwart God's will in little ways each day, what makes us think we're going to get it right in big decisions? I think God's will is that we learn how to LOVE during our time here on earth, and because we often screw up this plan for a good portion of our lives, He continues to place new ways to teach us to love in our path and hopefully we will embrace some of these and learn a little more about love during this journey called life.

I don't assume that we'll get it figured out here in this CM thread, since confusion over this was one of the reasons the whole Protestant Reformation happened, but maybe we can all get a fuller understanding for ourselves.

--hide--

I don't know why it doesn't capitalize "God" in the title of this thread. It wasn't not-capped on purpose!

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: In my short time on CM, I have read a number of fora posts including a reference to "God&#...

--hide--

This is a Jewish video. Since it is the same God we are all working to be one with, i think it provides an interesting view of dating. Learning how to love, not doing our will. (Although, God's will for me is caring for my Mom, I don't do much dating).

youtu.be
(It seems to be not working at this moment - midnight, but I watched it a few minutes ago and enjoyed it).

Jan 1st 2013 new

--hide--

just to clarify Kristen,. thwarting Gods will isn't always a sin, it's called free will. For example, God chose someone for us, but we choose someone else, nothing wrong, no sin commited, just an act of free will.

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-235584 said: just to clarify Kristen,. thwarting Gods will isn't always a sin, it's cal...
(Quote) Patrick-235584 said:

just to clarify Kristen,. thwarting Gods will isn't always a sin, it's called free will. For example, God chose someone for us, but we choose someone else, nothing wrong, no sin commited, just an act of free will.

--hide--

Sure we have free will, but if God chooses something for us and we decide to tell God no, then I would most definitely call that sin.

SIN. "A word, deed or desire in opposition to the eternal law" (St. Augustine). Sin is a deliberate transgression of a law of God, which identifies the four essentials of every sin. A law is involved, implying that there are physical laws that operate with necessity, and moral laws that can be disregarded by human beings. God is offended, so that the divine dimension is never absent from any sin. Sin is a transgression, since Catholicism holds that grace is resistible and the divine will can be disobeyed. And the transgression is deliberate, which means that a sin is committed whenever a person knows that something is contrary to the law of God and then freely does the action anyway. Modern Catholic Dictionary

- Elizabeth

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-235584 said: just to clarify Kristen,. thwarting Gods will isn't always a sin, it's cal...

--hide--

I don't think that is what Kristen is saying. God did not chose a person for you. God's will for you is to love. I think that is what she saying.

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Sure we have free will, but if God chooses something for us and we decide to tel...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Sure we have free will, but if God chooses something for us and we decide to tell God no, then I would most definitely call that sin.

SIN. "A word, deed or desire in opposition to the eternal law" (St. Augustine). Sin is a deliberate transgression of a law of God, which identifies the four essentials of every sin. A law is involved, implying that there are physical laws that operate with necessity, and moral laws that can be disregarded by human beings. God is offended, so that the divine dimension is never absent from any sin. Sin is a transgression, since Catholicism holds that grace is resistible and the divine will can be disobeyed. And the transgression is deliberate, which means that a sin is committed whenever a person knows that something is contrary to the law of God and then freely does the action anyway. Modern Catholic Dictionary

- Elizabeth

--hide--

when an act of evil is done, when we have a free will to do otherwise, YES, this is a sin, however, in not doing something evil, (choosing someone for us, instead of someone God had planned for us) is not a sin, it's siimply using the free will that GOD gave to us. I"m sorry Elizabeth, I"m not going against him in defiance, nor in doing an evil act to ridicule him, I would simply be using the tools he gave each and every one of us. If this were the case, there would be no such thing as a free will, we would all be subjected to predestination, and I'm pretty sure the church wasnt' to hip on that subject.

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-235584 said: when an act of evil is done, when we have a free will to do otherwise, YES, this is a ...

when an act of evil is done, when we have a free will to do otherwise, YES, this is a sin, however, in not doing something evil, (choosing someone for us, instead of someone God had planned for us) is not a sin, it's siimply using the free will that GOD gave to us. I"m sorry Elizabeth, I"m not going against him in defiance, nor in doing an evil act to ridicule him, I would simply be using the tools he gave each and every one of us. If this were the case, there would be no such thing as a free will, we would all be subjected to predestination, and I'm pretty sure the church wasnt' to hip on that subject.

--hide--
wave Amen to that bro. i agree withya 100% (on both of your posts)!

Jan 1st 2013 new

Thanks everyone for your responses - and thanks for exposing the muddled parts of my statement so quickly. Andrea, I really enjoyed the video - so cool! I think I'm going to watch the other ones too! I am going to answer clarify what I meant fully later today when I have more time, but the short answer to all of the excellent points made is that I agree with all of them, but need further articulate how they all fit together. Hope to hear some other perspectives on God's will out there!

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote)   This is a Jewish video. Since it is the same God we are all working to be one with, i think it provides an interesti...
(Quote)

This is a Jewish video. Since it is the same God we are all working to be one with, i think it provides an interesting view of dating. Learning how to love, not doing our will. (Although, God's will for me is caring for my Mom, I don't do much dating).

youtu.be
(It seems to be not working at this moment - midnight, but I watched it a few minutes ago and enjoyed it).

--hide--

A very beautiful video & thank you for posting it, Andrea smile !

Posts 1 - 10 of 77