Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dating a Protestant?

Dec 31st 2012 new

Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so?

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

--hide--

Christine, was that gentleman equally denfensive, opinionated, etc on topics other than religion? Was he a listerner? A conversationalist? How did he treat other women in his life? May have been more about his personality than his religious beliefs? Just some questions to reflect upon....

Dec 31st 2012 new

Hi Gary. Those are all good questions, of course. My question lacks a lot of nuance when I lump all Protestants into a single group, huh? I suppose that I am coming both from the perspective of a recent failed relationship with a Calvinist who was raised in an anti-Catholic environment, and also from the perspective of being a recent convert myself.

Perhaps it is me who is too defensive and opinionated. Always room for growth! Thanks for the food for thought.

Dec 31st 2012 new

That is a good question, Christine. I went to a Protestant college and dated at least one Protestant while I was a student. I would not rule out marrying a Protestant, but I would be much more comfortable with a Catholic.

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

Thoughts?

--hide--

Dec 31st 2012 new

Whoops! I didn't realize that another topic had recently been started on dating non-Catholic Christians. I should have posted there.

Jan 1st 2013 new

I think its fine. Maybe you would want to start with a friendship first ?

Each person is an individual and as Christians we should all pray for unity.

The obstacles that divide us are being worked on and some resolved. www.usccb.org

However, it does present many things to be worked through personally.

There are many different Protestant denominations and family backgrounds.

As a new Catholic - you may not want to be bombarded by misinformation from the Protestant. It can be tiresome and hurtful.

On the flip, you may both grow in your faith. I think it all depends on the people involved.

I haven't read from this site below before but I believe this is accurate to what I know.

I took the quote below from www.cfnews.org.

In his 1966 book Theological Highlights of Vatican II, Father Ratzinger, said that the Council document Lumen Gentium was purposely constructed along ecumenical lines to lay the foundation for Vatican II’s Decree on Ecumenism. Father Ratzinger says that according to Lumen Gentium:

“The Catholic Church has no right to absorb the other Churches... [A] basic unity — of Churches that remain Churches, yet become one Church — must replace the idea of conversion, even though conversion retains its meaningfulness for those in conscience motivated to seek it.”[10]

Father Ratzinger wrote this book during the Council. As a co-worker with Father Karl Rahner, he was heavily involved in drafting the documents. He is in a position to tell us what were the true intentions of the architects at Vatican II. And he declares that the true teaching of Vatican II, according to its authors, was that conversion is an option. The non-Catholic need not convert to the true Church for unity and for salvation. The principle of conversion of non-Catholics is replaced with the new principle of convergence with non-Catholics.

Everything since the Council follows this new model; the principle of conversion of non-Catholics is replaced by the new notion of convergence with non-Catholics.

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I think its fine. Maybe you would want to start with a friendship first ? Each person is ...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

I think its fine. Maybe you would want to start with a friendship first ?

Each person is an individual and as Christians we should all pray for unity.

The obstacles that divide us are being worked on and some resolved. www.usccb.org

However, it does present many things to be worked through personally.

There are many different Protestant denominations and family backgrounds.

As a new Catholic - you may not want to be bombarded by misinformation from the Protestant. It can be tiresome and hurtful.

On the flip, you may both grow in your faith. I think it all depends on the people involved.

I haven't read from this site below before but I believe this is accurate to what I know.

I took the quote below from www.cfnews.org.

In his 1966 book Theological Highlights of Vatican II, Father Ratzinger, said that the Council document Lumen Gentium was purposely constructed along ecumenical lines to lay the foundation for Vatican II’s Decree on Ecumenism. Father Ratzinger says that according to Lumen Gentium:

“The Catholic Church has no right to absorb the other Churches... [A] basic unity — of Churches that remain Churches, yet become one Church — must replace the idea of conversion, even though conversion retains its meaningfulness for those in conscience motivated to seek it.”[10]

Father Ratzinger wrote this book during the Council. As a co-worker with Father Karl Rahner, he was heavily involved in drafting the documents. He is in a position to tell us what were the true intentions of the architects at Vatican II. And he declares that the true teaching of Vatican II, according to its authors, was that conversion is an option. The non-Catholic need not convert to the true Church for unity and for salvation. The principle of conversion of non-Catholics is replaced with the new principle of convergence with non-Catholics.

Everything since the Council follows this new model; the principle of conversion of non-Catholics is replaced by the new notion of convergence with non-Catholics.

--hide--

scratchchin Really? Interesting that Jesus Christ walked this Earth 2000 years ago and created His Church - the only one, holy, and Apostolic Church. I can't seem to recall where Jesus, anywhere, called for the "convergence" of other faiths to His Holy Church, but I can recall numerous references to where Jesus pointedly called for the "conversion" of the unfaithful to come home to His Holy Church.

And we sit here and wonder what has happened to our Church as a result of Vatican II and in the days that have followed to the present day?

theheart

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Really? Interesting that Jesus Christ walked this Earth 2000 years ago and created...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Really? Interesting that Jesus Christ walked this Earth 2000 years ago and created His Church - the only one, holy, and Apostolic Church. I can't seem to recall where Jesus, anywhere, called for the "convergence" of other faiths to His Holy Church, but I can recall numerous references to where Jesus pointedly called for the "conversion" of the unfaithful to come home to His Holy Church.

And we sit here and wonder what has happened to our Church as a result of Vatican II and in the days that have followed to the present day?

--hide--

Victor I don't think you realize many Christian churches claim to have apostolic succession from the Catholic Church. And that one of the most dividing elements of the reformation was resolved in 1983.

www.vatican.va

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Victor I don't think you realize many Christian churches claim to have apostoli...

Victor I don't think you realize many Christian churches claim to have apostolic succession from the Catholic Church. And that one of the most dividing elements of the reformation was resolved in 1983.

www.vatican.va

--hide--

Basically, I believe the agreement was: You are saved by grace and it is reflected in works.

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: (Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Victor I don't think you rea...

Quote:
Andrea-368827 said:

www.vatican.va

Basically, I believe the agreement was: You are saved by grace and it is reflected in works.

--hide--

They can "claim" all they like, but making claims do not mean truth. "Saved by grace and it is reflected in works" discounts the reverence of the Sacraments. In essence, without the Sacraments the Catholic faith is no longer the Catholic faith, as it becomes separated from Christ and becomes the equivalent of Protestantism, which 50 years of evidence post-Vatican II can reasonably lead one to surmise.

theheart

Posts 1 - 10 of 80