Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Workplace Humor

01/01/2013 new

This thread is meant to elicit posts about a particular kind of workplace humor. crazy But am open to any funny stories.

For example, years ago (when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth), I worked in data processing when the main form of data storage was the IBM punched card. We ran machines that manipulated these cards, such as sorting, collating, and tabulating (sometimes as many as 40 thousand). All new people were sent to the far reaches of the building (which was quite large) to find a "card stretcher" laughing

A friend of mine related that years ago he worked in a hospital environment. They would send newbies to the supply dept in the basement to get some #5 Fallopian Tubes. The supply person would send him back with the message that they were out of #5 but still had #7 fallopian tubes. That really cracked me up.

01/01/2013 new

(Quote) John-857142 said: This thread is meant to elicit posts about a particular kind of workplace humor. But am open to an...
(Quote) John-857142 said:

This thread is meant to elicit posts about a particular kind of workplace humor. But am open to any funny stories.

For example, years ago (when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth), I worked in data processing when the main form of data storage was the IBM punched card. We ran machines that manipulated these cards, such as sorting, collating, and tabulating (sometimes as many as 40 thousand). All new people were sent to the far reaches of the building (which was quite large) to find a "card stretcher"

A friend of mine related that years ago he worked in a hospital environment. They would send newbies to the supply dept in the basement to get some #5 Fallopian Tubes. The supply person would send him back with the message that they were out of #5 but still had #7 fallopian tubes. That really cracked me up.

--hide--

I worked with electronic technicians installing computer systems and the new kid would always be sent to find the wire stretcher!

I read about a practical joke where when the boss was gone, someone would sneak in and move a couple keys around on their keypad. I never had the courage to do it, but I thought it would be hysterical!

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) John-857142 said: This thread is meant to elicit posts about a particular kind of workplace humor. But am open to an...

This thread is meant to elicit posts about a particular kind of workplace humor. But am open to any funny stories.

For example, years ago (when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth), I worked in data processing when the main form of data storage was the IBM punched card. We ran machines that manipulated these cards, such as sorting, collating, and tabulating (sometimes as many as 40 thousand). All new people were sent to the far reaches of the building (which was quite large) to find a "card stretcher"

--hide--
In Navy photo school, they would send us to supply to pick up a box of 'F-stops.' Another instructor preloaded our 4X5 Speed Graphic film holders with already developed negatives of antique cars. He then sent us out to the parking lot to take pictures of brand new vehicles. When we developed the film we discovered the negs of antique cars and our instructor chewed us out (tongue in cheek) for not following his instructions. On an LST (amphibious assault ship) they would send new guys to get the key to the bow doors.

01/02/2013 new

Years ago, I worked for a television ratings company and I took a lot of pictures of staff at work. I had taken one of my boss sitting with her elbows on her desk smiling. When she went away for her vacation I made a life size print, mounted it on foam core, cut it out and placed it at her desk. Every time someone would pass by her office they would do a double-take!

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I worked with electronic technicians installing computer systems and the new kid would al...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I worked with electronic technicians installing computer systems and the new kid would always be sent to find the wire stretcher!

I read about a practical joke where when the boss was gone, someone would sneak in and move a couple keys around on their keypad. I never had the courage to do it, but I thought it would be hysterical!

--hide--

Its funny how so many fall these things.

Better hope the boss has a sense of humor.

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: In Navy photo school, they would send us to supply to pick up a box of 'F-stops.' Another...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

In Navy photo school, they would send us to supply to pick up a box of 'F-stops.' Another instructor preloaded our 4X5 Speed Graphic film holders with already developed negatives of antique cars. He then sent us out to the parking lot to take pictures of brand new vehicles. When we developed the film we discovered the negs of antique cars and our instructor chewed us out (tongue in cheek) for not following his instructions. On an LST (amphibious assault ship) they would send new guys to get the key to the bow doors.

--hide--

That's hilarious. Your instructor went a lot of work pulling that off. I always thought putting developed negatives back through the developing chemicals would damage the image.

Did you leave the picture of your boss there so she'd see it when she was there?

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) John-857142 said: That's hilarious. Your instructor went a lot of work pulling that off. I always t...

That's hilarious. Your instructor went a lot of work pulling that off. I always thought putting developed negatives back through the developing chemicals would damage the image.

Did you leave the picture of your boss there so she'd see it when she was there?

--hide--
Yes, she got a kick out of it! It seems today in the workplace a healthy sense of humor is lacking. Employees find that being "offended" can be quite lucrative. Not to diminish genuine harassment of course. I remember one guy at my last place of employment giving a coworker a fake bomb for his birthday. It was realistic enough that today the poor guy would have wound up at Guantanamo bay, but back then everyone had a good laugh! Somehow I managed to survive until retirement.

01/02/2013 new

--hide--

Years ago Iwent to work in a automotives injection molding facility prodeced plastic male and female connectors for the wire harnesses that went into Ford, Chrysler, and GM vehicles. Yes the words male or female was on each of the blue prints of those connectors. laughing

Posts 1 - 8 of 8