Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Livia-407406 said: I find it bizzare that you're complaining about how women present thems...
(Quote) Livia-407406 said:

I find it bizzare that you're complaining about how women present themselves but you don't seem to give any thought to how you're presenting yourself. You come across as arrogant, angry towards women, and disrespectful towards your fellow Catholics. None of those make you look like desirable husband material.

My comment about drinking and showing a tiny bit of skin has to do with exaggeration...you are exaggerating, quite a bit. I've seen some Catholic guys complain about a woman showing her knees or shoulders, and it makes it seem like any woman who isn't covered from head to foot is some kind of slut. If a woman wants to give another woman pointers about how she might be attracting the wrong kind of attention, that's one thing, but women usually understand that this is the kind of exchange that happens between close friends or family members or simply out of an act of charity and goodwill. A man calling out a whole group of women on a Catholic website and using angry and denigrating language is a whole other ballgame, and I'm kind of shocked to see approval from some of the women here.

As for pictures, I guess I never make the assumption that a person's life is always caught on film. I don't like having to take pictures every time I do something--I'd rather just enjoy the occasion. If I see a guy's profile and he only has a few pictures or some that are similar, I assume that he doesn't have time to sit around taking pictures of himself all the time. If I want to know the kind stuff he does, talking to him is the best way to do that. (And obviously, there are plenty of places in the profile where activities and interests are mentioned.)

I guess in the age of social media it's easy to fall into the trap that your online profile is the most accurate representation of who you are.

--hide--
Watch out, Livia- the Catholic Taliban will getcha! laughing You go Kiddo! clap

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Livia-407406 said: I find it bizzare that you're complaining abo...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Livia-407406 said:

I find it bizzare that you're complaining about how women present themselves but you don't seem to give any thought to how you're presenting yourself. You come across as arrogant, angry towards women, and disrespectful towards your fellow Catholics. None of those make you look like desirable husband material.

My comment about drinking and showing a tiny bit of skin has to do with exaggeration...you are exaggerating, quite a bit. I've seen some Catholic guys complain about a woman showing her knees or shoulders, and it makes it seem like any woman who isn't covered from head to foot is some kind of slut. If a woman wants to give another woman pointers about how she might be attracting the wrong kind of attention, that's one thing, but women usually understand that this is the kind of exchange that happens between close friends or family members or simply out of an act of charity and goodwill. A man calling out a whole group of women on a Catholic website and using angry and denigrating language is a whole other ballgame, and I'm kind of shocked to see approval from some of the women here.

As for pictures, I guess I never make the assumption that a person's life is always caught on film. I don't like having to take pictures every time I do something--I'd rather just enjoy the occasion. If I see a guy's profile and he only has a few pictures or some that are similar, I assume that he doesn't have time to sit around taking pictures of himself all the time. If I want to know the kind stuff he does, talking to him is the best way to do that. (And obviously, there are plenty of places in the profile where activities and interests are mentioned.)

I guess in the age of social media it's easy to fall into the trap that your online profile is the most accurate representation of who you are.

Watch out, Livia- the Catholic Taliban will getcha! You go Kiddo!

--hide--

Are we back in the 4th grade here? When we don't like someone has to say and we can't think of an intelligent rebuttal we call them names instead?

Like it or not, modesty (or rather lack thereof) is a serious moral issue. A number of popes and saints have made this quite clear. The Blessed Virgin warned of immodest fashions in 1917. Think back to what fashions were then -- if they were immodest, what can be said of today's?

If you want to ignore the warnings, do so at your own peril. But why on earth come to a Catholic web site, profess you are looking for a devout Catholic spouse, and then belittle those who actually pay attention to the spiritual authority delegated by Jesus Christ, the Magisterium of the Church? boggled scratchchin

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Livia-407406 said: I find it bizzare that you're complaining about how women present thems...

--hide--

I'm impressed by this post :)! Actually, I'll have to agree with you with your statement. In fact I don't own a camera that is meant for taking good pictures of me. So, normally the photos I have of me are taken by my family & friends and they're taken at social gatherings. I truly have nothing against women dressing the way they dress as long they know how they're presenting themselves to the public.

For fun I'll be one of your knight-errant against anyone who might disagree with your statement yoda.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Watch out, Livia- the Catholic Taliban will getcha! You go Kiddo!

--hide--

What he said... laughing laughing Oh, I laugh at this place sometimes! Thank you peeps!

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Livia-407406 said: I've seen some Catholic guys complain about a woman showing her knees or shoulders, and it ma...

I've seen some Catholic guys complain about a woman showing her knees or shoulders, and it makes it seem like any woman who isn't covered from head to foot is some kind of slut.

--hide--

Several popes have issued guidelines on modest dress: bare knees and shoulders do not even come close to those standards. Does dressing in this manner make a woman a slut? No. But it does place her in a position of both degrading her own dignity and being an occasion of sin for others.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

This whole talk on modesty about wearing clothes for women is crazy eyebrow . I remember when I was back at my Catholic High School where we had to wear uniforms and know the dress code that must be followed. I would normally hear women in my school talk about how strict the rules are like when it comes to dressing up wearing skirts, shirts, and spaghetti straps on regular casual days.* I didn't bother much about how they dress because in my opinion none of them were really breaking rules about modesty. However, I didn't like where some days meant you can wear pajamas to school which in my opinion is a crazy idea! I just ended up wearing my uniform or just my regular public clothes on those days. There are men who don't dress modestly too, so it's not a surprise to see some women not dressing up modestly. I personally don't like being around men who aren't dress modestly because that tells bad things about me too. There's a saying I've heard that the people you associate yourself with tells something about you. pirate

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: For those men who blame women's attire for their own uncontrollable lust, I pose the followin...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

For those men who blame women's attire for their own uncontrollable lust, I pose the following question:

What would your reaction be if the priest took you aside one day after mass and said that a male parishioner who struggles with same-sex attraction complained that your attire was distracting/tempting him during Mass and leading him to commit various sins of impurity afterwards?

How would you feel if the priest then ordered you to wear looser trousers, long sleeves, and a top which adequately covers your rear end?

Are YOU to blame for the other guy's reaction???

--hide--

For some reason, I am not either being allowed to give a thumbs up or there is a clitch in the system. So here it is, David. thumbsup

- Elizabeth

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Watch out, Livia- the Catholic Taliban will getcha! You go Kiddo!

--hide--

Same thing here as with David's quote, I am either not allowed to give a thumbs up or there is a glitch in the system. So here it is, Peter. thumbsup

- Elizabeth

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: I'll stop wearing pants when the Pope forbids priests from wearing long vestments and cassock...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

I'll stop wearing pants when the Pope forbids priests from wearing long vestments and cassocks, when Scots abandon their kilts, and when men in the Middle East stop wearing their own flowing dress-like garments.

I believe in modesty and strive to always dress in a modest way, but honestly, I draw the line at the credibility of the "women can't wear pants" argument made in this day and age and increasingly globally-aware world. If that's what someone chooses for themselves, okay, but I don't buy it as a universally applicable objective standard that must be accepted by all. Just my . Universally applicable objective standards that are forever frozen in time are hard to come by.

--hide--

What do clerical vestments have to do with how the laity dress?

Several of the documents I referenced in my previous posts explain precisely why standards of modesty can NOT be tied to secular fashion trends. You may not buy it, but then I don't recall Christ appointing you as the universal moral authority as He did the Church. Also keep in mind the moral teachings of the Church are not just documents fired off in haste: those responsible for expressing, reviewing, and propagating them have studied extensively and lead very holy lives, spending much time in prayer and make liberal use of fasting and other mortifications so as to be more open to the influence of the Holy Spirit. How can we think for even a moment that the emotional responses we experience with no deliberation or study, much less spiritual preparation, are somehow more enlightened than the works of those called by God to provide spiritual guidance to His Church?

Jan 2nd 2013 new

Why is it that sometimes we can give thumbs up and sometimes we can't??????

Posts 181 - 190 of 196