Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Why is it that sometimes we can give thumbs up and sometimes we can't??????
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Why is it that sometimes we can give thumbs up and sometimes we can't??????

--hide--

I wondered the same thing, Rachel. So I went back and clicked Reply & Quote and used the emotigram for thumbs up. Could be the Catholic Taliban qhost. fluffy faint cloud I dunno. rolling eyes scratchchin

- Elizabeth

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: I wondered the same thing, Rachel. So I went back and clicked Reply & Quote ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

I wondered the same thing, Rachel. So I went back and clicked Reply & Quote and used the emotigram for thumbs up. Could be the Catholic Taliban qhost. I dunno.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

I just give your post a thumbs up laughing! So, it worked for me.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ezrah-891754 said: I just give your post a thumbs up ! So, it worked for me.
(Quote) Ezrah-891754 said:

I just give your post a thumbs up ! So, it worked for me.

--hide--

Thanks, Ezrah! thumbsup

- Elizabeth

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Sorry Jerry. Don't blame women. You have no one to blame BUT YOURSELF if a woman's attire...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Sorry Jerry. Don't blame women. You have no one to blame BUT YOURSELF if a woman's attire leads you to sin.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years in the late 1980's. Even covered from head to toe in a burkha, there were certain women who drove the men wild. It's NOT the woman's fault if we can't control ourselves. Let's not shift the blame. That is an infantile reaction.

--hide--

Funny, David... I presented no personal opinions; I provided references to documents that presented summaries and analysis pd long-standing teachings of the Church. Perhaps you can explain why we should accept your hostile, antagonistic opinions should bear more weight than the writing of popes, doctors of the church, and saints?

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: For those men who blame women's attire for their own uncontrollable lust, I pose the followin...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

For those men who blame women's attire for their own uncontrollable lust, I pose the following question:

What would your reaction be if the priest took you aside one day after mass and said that a male parishioner who struggles with same-sex attraction complained that your attire was distracting/tempting him during Mass and leading him to commit various sins of impurity afterwards?

How would you feel if the priest then ordered you to wear looser trousers, long sleeves, and a top which adequately covers your rear end?

Are YOU to blame for the other guy's reaction???

--hide--

The Church teaches the need for modest dress is because immodest dress provides an occasion for impure thoughts or lust on the part of others. This can NOT be taken to mean:

(a) That all cases of impure thoughts or lust experienced when observing another person are the result of that person dressing immodestly (your proposal), or

(b) That immodest dress will always cause the observer to experience impure thoughts or lust.

While the Church has not, to my knowledge, issued a standard of modest dress for men, men so have an obligation to dress modestly and are morally culpable for the sins resulting from their failure to do so.

Those who have true Christian humility and charity will not be offended when told that they have inadvertently contributed to the sin of another; rather, they will strive to do what is reasonable on their part to avoid the same in the future.

I will also add that the responsibility for sins does not necessarily fall on one party. When a person who is dressed immodestly shares responsibility for the sins resulting from their dress, this does not absolve the other parties of responsibility.

David, I find it curious that every time there is a modesty discussion you present these same logical fallacies in some form or another; I've lost count of how many times I've explained the above in response. If your memory is that bad, perhaps it would be helpful to print this out so you can refer to it next time instead of revisiting the same rat hole.

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: For some reason, I am not either being allowed to give a thumbs up or there is a clitch i...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

For some reason, I am not either being allowed to give a thumbs up or there is a clitch in the system. So here it is, David.

--hide--

If the thumb turns blue when you click on it but the count does not increment, this indicates that prior to your vote the net thumb count for the post was negative.

If the thumb does not turn blue, try to open another topic then return and view the post you were attempting to vote on. In the past it was not uncommon for the thumb not to change color immediately but to be changed when viewed later. I haven't seen this occur in quite some time, but it may be a browser or platform (mobile vs. desktop) issue.

Posts 191 - 196 of 196