Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so?

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

--hide--

scratchchin Unfortunately, I have experienced much the same reaction. It is not as if I ever try to "push" Catholocism on anyone, but it does come up here an there. I mean, lots of my life and who I am revolves arond my beliefs OUR beliefs. So, then usually what happens is, "So can I ask you a question?"....and then inevitably comes the, "So XYZ that you believe is not in the Bible"....well, half the time, they have the belief completely mixed up and they are misinformed, like my faorite one about "worsipping Mary", and "so you worship a wafer"" ( bout Adoration)...

I even had this Batist guy I thought would be really bright as me how I thought it said in the Bible we needed to go through a year of RCIA before we could convert (since I mentioned I recently converted)....To be honest, if I weren't being nice, I would have told the guy, "So we can be equipped to answer the thousand and one silly quesions Protestants are bond to ask!".

Most Protestants I've met, even if they say they are good with Catholocism, when you talk with them long enough, the prejudice comes out sooner or later. eyepopping

Jan 2nd 2013 new

I'm open to the idea. When I returned from my deployment and went into a brief period of post-deployment adjustment counseling, the chaplains I dealt with were all Baptist. At the risk of drawing fire, I can say that Catholic Priests can learn something from them in terms of technique. I also have numerous Protestant friends who are just as faith-filled as any Catholic. I see it as just a difference in how we worship God and follow Jesus. We really do have significant common ground.

So as long as you can respect each other's faith practices, why not? Hal Moore, retired 3-star General and commander of forces in Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam (as portrayed by Mel Gibson in "We Were Soldiers") was married to a Methodist. He and the kids said Catholic prayers before bedtime, and his wife would pray the Rosary while Moore was deployed to Vietnam.

Sometimes I think we all need to get over the differences and focus on the common ground. JP2 did.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

Not counting high school, I haven't even though at times I wanted to. I think two things make in impractical. 1. different sexual ethics and 2. different ideas on raising children (or at least not sharing the same idea).

Plus I think it would be hard to live with someone for 60 years who didn't share your faith. I could make it work if I needed it too but it would be far from ideal and would be a source of either tension or disappointment.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

--hide--

I think in light of your comment about dating a Calvinist, I'd suggest finding a denomination that's more friendly towards Catholics. I carpool with a guy who's Lutheran and we get along just fine. Our denominations have their differences, but they have there similarities and in general Lutherans and Catholics get along.........at least here in Minnesota we do, but then again we're the two big denominations in this state. Anyway, I'd focus on denominations that are most similar to our Catholic faith. Naturally, I'd suggest focusing in on Catholic men as well.

Jan 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Dan-656122 said: I think in light of your comment about dating a Calvinist, I'd suggest finding a denomination that...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

I think in light of your comment about dating a Calvinist, I'd suggest finding a denomination that's more friendly towards Catholics. I carpool with a guy who's Lutheran and we get along just fine. Our denominations have their differences, but they have there similarities and in general Lutherans and Catholics get along.........at least here in Minnesota we do, but then again we're the two big denominations in this state. Anyway, I'd focus on denominations that are most similar to our Catholic faith. Naturally, I'd suggest focusing in on Catholic men as well.

--hide--

Lutherans and Catholics have the most in common when it comes to Protestants. I was one until I was 20.
Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-41230 said: Andrea you said "I took the quote below from www.cfnews.org &q...
(Quote) Mike-41230 said:

Andrea you said "I took the quote below from www.cfnews.org ".

But did you read that entire page yourself? You should. In fact we all should.

--hide--

You know what Mike, I didn't read the whole thing before. I was just looking for a John Paul II reference on the respect he afforded to those of other religions. I read that one section I posted. Its fine that this article is a criticism of John Paul II but I agree with John Paul II.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Melissa-415139 said: Hi Christine, I dated a protestant for over two and a half years, and truthfully I would...
(Quote) Melissa-415139 said:

Hi Christine,

I dated a protestant for over two and a half years, and truthfully I would not do it again. There was always a wall between then two of us in the sense that we would share each others faith but would consistantly try to outdo eachother about why ours was better. In addition, you cannot share the Mass or the Eucharist with that person since you won`t go to Church together. In my case, that also ment I could not share with him my social life around my Catholic Faith and had to sometimes choose between a date and going to Catholic Youth Group.

When there can be no compromise with Faith , then it is very difficult to date a Protestant.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

--hide--

Hi Melissa,

My late husband was raised Baptist. And what you explained above is what happened to us in marriage. We spent many years living with the tension of trying to compromise 2 opposing faiths. I was very uncomfortable being around his church friends because I felt like they always wanted to convert me. I believe our circle of friends was very small because of that. I longed for my husband to be beside me in church, but neither of us were comfortable in eachothers faith. I also believe it contributed to our children scattering faith-wise with one staying in the Catholic Faith.

I need my soul-mate to be a man who loves his Catholic Faith. To be sitting in church worshipping together is my dream.
Joanne

Jan 3rd 2013 new

Thoughts?

--hide--

Hi Christine,

I have not had time to read though every post here, but i wanted to make two points that i think are important:

1. I think you need to look more at someone's values and spirituality more then their religion, because this is were the important connection lies. You may find that there are a lot of practicing catholics you can't connect with on this level and non-catholics who you can. A man willing to seek the truth with you may come in the form of many different faiths.

2. I highly recommend dating a lot of different types of men while you still very young. This will help you better understand who you are and what your looking for in the future.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

I've dated one Protestant too many. It's sad to say but a good majority of my friends are Protestants and I love them like my family. So it would probably easier for me to find my significant other who's Protestant , but faith is not something I willing to budge. Kids are having to grow up with so many distractions and obstacles. So if I plan on raising a family, I want to lay a solid foudation just like I was raised. Some of my friends who were raised by parents of two different faiths usually grew up without any faith, and that's sad. The notion "that you can decide when you're older"is not right.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

I had a ltr with a Protestant woman before I was married and I'd steer clear of blanket statements. She was an Episcopalian and her Mom was raised Catholic and lived in an area with lots of Catholics. I believe her sister attended Catholic school. You have to remember there are a lot of different Protestant sects and if there was some sort of spectrum she would have been a lot closer to Catholic than most Protestant sects. That being said these were Country Club type Prottys who could be a little superior in their own minds anyway. But if you feel like you're on the defensive it's pretty hard to see your relationship working.

Posts 41 - 50 of 80