Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

The Maronite Catholics

Jan 4th 2013 new
The Maronites, an Eastern rite Catholic Church, profess the same Apostolic Faith, celebrate the same Mysteries (Sacraments) and are united with the chief Shepherd of the Church, the Pope, as all Roman Catholics throughout the world. They have their own distinct theology, spirituality, liturgy and code of canon law.

The Maronite Rite is an Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church. It is named for St. Maron, a 4th century hermit. Interestingly enough, it is the only Eastern Rite that was never separated from Rome; they were always in communion with the Pope. (Other Eastern rites separated from Rome, but were later brought back into communion with the Catholic Church.) I also believe they are one of the only Eastern Rite churches that use statues (not icons only) in their churches. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Maronites use a hybrid liturgy based on the Antiochian St. James. Although 59 percent of Lebanese are Muslims, Christians also have a strong presence. Maronite Catholics are the country's largest Christian group, representing 21 percent of the total population. and by the law of that country the president of Lebanon is always a Maronite.

While you may not be interested in reading about Lebanon I can say it is important when you read about the Maronites to know that Christianity, Maronite and Lebanon are inseparable.

When I say I am Lebanese so many times people ask me how did I become Catholic. I found my duty, as a Maronite Catholic, calling me to shed the light on christianity and Maronite in Lebanon.

The Maronites and Lebanon

Maronite history is colored with the romance that attaches itself to a struggle of a determined people. Most nations in their history often have to make a choice between confrontation or cooperation and time has shown us that minorities usually pay for their continued existence through deformation of character or out right collaboration. The Maronites through perpetual resistance and the preservation of a precarious independence have escaped this fate. Not only have they survived, but they have survived uncowed.The remarkable nature of their history lies hand in hand with that of Lebanon, for centuries being their retreat and fortress. Lebanon and the Maronites are inseparably attached. The Maronites have survived the storms of invasion, occupation, repression and suppression for over 1600 years, preserving their religion, traditions and state. Through the ages they refused to bow to their occupiers, at the height of the Umayyad dynasty the Maronites even exacted tribute as a price for their good behavior, in due course their Christian neighbors all succumbed to Islam but not Lebanon, holding a Maronite majority well into the 20th century, even their Syriac (Christian Aramaic) language was widely spoken well into the late 18th century and still survives today in their liturgy and in some of their villages. The mountain Maronites remain much as the earliest travelers found them, not having lost the virtues for which they have been admired. The ingenuity and perseverance with which they have tamed the hillsides is remarkable, striving for soil, capturing it from rocks laboriously, foot by foot. Their terraced vines, piled vertically one above the other, climb to the snows. Their minute orchards are often wedged in the faults and crannies of precipices. Such industry has its reward, the very rocks have grown fertile. Their long political struggle and the effort to squeeze a livelihood from the rocks and precipices have made them independent, courageous and provident.

Read more:Phoenicia: The Maronites and Lebanon, A Brief Historyphoenicia.org

Interesting link if you like to enlarge your knowledge about this subject.

en.wikipedia.org

Now when Maronites say that the Maronite Church contributes in a unique way to the ongoing renewal and upbuilding of the entire Catholic Church. It is important to know what is the history of the Maronite church and who are the Maronite Catholics

Here is a little more information on the Maronite Rite from the Maronite Monks of Adoration in Petersham, MA. I think you will find it helpful!

www.maronitemonks.org

This is a Lebanese very helpful site talking about the Lebanese Maronite Order and saints. www.saintcharbel.com You can stop the songs if you want at the bottom of the page
Jan 4th 2013 new

"Christianity, Maronite and Lebanon are inseparable"
Beautiful! biggrin clap Many people don't realize how important the tradition and culture of our Eastern faiths are, and are closely tied to, our practice and pride of it.

Jan 4th 2013 new

Excellent information, Therese! Thank you

Jan 4th 2013 new

Saint Charbel is one of the most incredible Saints in the Church in modern times!

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Saint Charbel is one of the most incredible Saints in the Church in modern times...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Saint Charbel is one of the most incredible Saints in the Church in modern times!

--hide--

thumbsup

Jan 4th 2013 new
Thank you for posting this.
Jan 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: The Maronites, an Eastern rite Catholic Church, profess the same Apostolic Faith, celebrate the same Mysteries (...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: The Maronites, an Eastern rite Catholic Church, profess the same Apostolic Faith, celebrate the same Mysteries (Sacraments) and are united with the chief Shepherd of the Church, the Pope, as all Roman Catholics throughout the world. They have their own distinct theology, spirituality, liturgy and code of canon law.

The Maronite Rite is an Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church. It is named for St. Maron, a 4th century hermit. Interestingly enough, it is the only Eastern Rite that was never separated from Rome; they were always in communion with the Pope. (Other Eastern rites separated from Rome, but were later brought back into communion with the Catholic Church.) I also believe they are one of the only Eastern Rite churches that use statues (not icons only) in their churches. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Maronites use a hybrid liturgy based on the Antiochian St. James. Although 59 percent of Lebanese are Muslims, Christians also have a strong presence. Maronite Catholics are the country's largest Christian group, representing 21 percent of the total population. and by the law of that country the president of Lebanon is always a Maronite.

While you may not be interested in reading about Lebanon I can say it is important when you read about the Maronites to know that Christianity, Maronite and Lebanon are inseparable.

When I say I am Lebanese so many times people ask me how did I become Catholic. I found my duty, as a Maronite Catholic, calling me to shed the light on christianity and Maronite in Lebanon.

The Maronites and Lebanon

Maronite history is colored with the romance that attaches itself to a struggle of a determined people. Most nations in their history often have to make a choice between confrontation or cooperation and time has shown us that minorities usually pay for their continued existence through deformation of character or out right collaboration. The Maronites through perpetual resistance and the preservation of a precarious independence have escaped this fate. Not only have they survived, but they have survived uncowed.The remarkable nature of their history lies hand in hand with that of Lebanon, for centuries being their retreat and fortress. Lebanon and the Maronites are inseparably attached. The Maronites have survived the storms of invasion, occupation, repression and suppression for over 1600 years, preserving their religion, traditions and state. Through the ages they refused to bow to their occupiers, at the height of the Umayyad dynasty the Maronites even exacted tribute as a price for their good behavior, in due course their Christian neighbors all succumbed to Islam but not Lebanon, holding a Maronite majority well into the 20th century, even their Syriac (Christian Aramaic) language was widely spoken well into the late 18th century and still survives today in their liturgy and in some of their villages. The mountain Maronites remain much as the earliest travelers found them, not having lost the virtues for which they have been admired. The ingenuity and perseverance with which they have tamed the hillsides is remarkable, striving for soil, capturing it from rocks laboriously, foot by foot. Their terraced vines, piled vertically one above the other, climb to the snows. Their minute orchards are often wedged in the faults and crannies of precipices. Such industry has its reward, the very rocks have grown fertile. Their long political struggle and the effort to squeeze a livelihood from the rocks and precipices have made them independent, courageous and provident.

Read more The Maronites and Lebanon, A Brief Historyphoenicia.org

Interesting link if you like to enlarge your knowledge about this subject.

en.wikipedia.org

Now when Maronites say that the Maronite Church contributes in a unique way to the ongoing renewal and upbuilding of the entire Catholic Church. It is important to know what is the history of the Maronite church and who are the Maronite Catholics

Here is a little more information on the Maronite Rite from the Maronite Monks of Adoration in Petersham, MA. I think you will find it helpful!

www.maronitemonks.org

This is a Lebanese very helpful site talking about the Lebanese Maronite Order and saints. www.saintcharbel.com You can stop the songs if you want at the bottom of the page
--hide--

I just wish the Maronites would return to their authentic liturgical traditions instead of copying the Latins.

The Maronite liturgy is textually almost identical to that of the Syriac Orthodox. Yet it is celebrated like your common Novus Ordo.

Here's what the Maronite liturgy might look like were the Maronite Church to remove its Latinizations.

www.youtube.com
Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I just wish the Maronites would return to their authentic liturgical traditions instead of copyin...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

I just wish the Maronites would return to their authentic liturgical traditions instead of copying the Latins.

The Maronite liturgy is textually almost identical to that of the Syriac Orthodox. Yet it is celebrated like your common Novus Ordo.

Here's what the Maronite liturgy might look like were the Maronite Church to remove its Latinizations.

www.youtube.com
--hide--

Are the Maronites not permitted to celebrate the liturgy in the traditional manner? In the Novus Ordo, versus populum, use of the vernacular, etc. are optional (even if almost universally adopted).

Jan 4th 2013 new

Thanks for this, I like learning about these things

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) John-220051 said: I just wish the Maronites would return to their ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
John-220051 said:

www.youtube.com

Are the Maronites not permitted to celebrate the liturgy in the traditional manner? In the Novus Ordo, versus populum, use of the vernacular, etc. are optional (even if almost universally adopted).

--hide--
I visited their Monastery in Massachusetts 19 years ago and even there the Priest had his back to the Tabernacle. The liturgy was in English.They do say the Consecration in Aramaic however.Way better than the Novus Ordo though.They give Communion by intinction only at that time.Even at the Pariash in Los Angeles they did not have Extraorinary Ministers.That was about 15 - 20 years ago too.I am no tsure what their practices are currently.

Posts 1 - 10 of 23