Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

01/04/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Did you see it the other night? What's the verdict?
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Did you see it the other night? What's the verdict?
--hide--

I did see it Thursday night. I found it very hard to get interested in, for about the first 30 or 40 minutes. It opened
up with too much of a crescendo. Anne Hathaway's part also came so early in the story that I could not muster
up much emotion and I was not ready for her terribly emotional part. As I said, I could not get into it in the
beginning. After I was able to concentrate on the story and not notice the details, it was a beautifully written
story about life and survival and hate and love and God.

Every time I saw the play or when I saw this movie, I think about my Grandfather who passed his book on
to us, since it was his favorite novel. It makes me think of the power of the story and how strong one must be
to survive. My Grandfather died when I was 3 months old. I was his first grandchild, and he was so happy when
my Mom and I came home from the hospital to stay in his home.

Somehow, when I read the book or saw the play or the movie, I feel him reaching out to me. And I think he is
telling me that life is not at all easy, but love and kindness is at the root of it all.

I hope you will tell me what you think when you see the movie, Mary. I definitely recommend it.

01/04/2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I saw it last night with my daughter (who was in the local children's production l...
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said:

I saw it last night with my daughter (who was in the local children's production last year). Previously, I had seen my daughter's production 5 times. I LOVE the music. The movie can be much more graphic than the play, and you can understand some of the lyrics better. It really was Very Good, from the scenery, acting, music, etc. Russell Crowe did fine, you could understand him, and his "singing" could just as well be "speaking".

It makes you understand just what the French "slaves" (populace) went through before the Revolution, and why the Revolution would have happened. I'm curious what people who had no idea of the storyline thought after seeing the movie. Basically, there is no spoken dialogue, only singing (dialogue). Unique!

--hide--

Kathy: I also thought the movie was much easier to understand than the play. And the music is classic by now. Very
beautiful.

01/04/2013 new

(Quote) Alena-887599 said: Beautiful as a musical film, impressive acting by all the characters especially Anne Hathaway, an...
(Quote) Alena-887599 said:

Beautiful as a musical film, impressive acting by all the characters especially Anne Hathaway, and the Thénardiers were fabulously entertaining! There were a few scenes that were difficult to watch because of the serious nature (namely the scenes following Fantine's dismissal from the factory and the killing of people at the baricades).

The actors put a lot of emotion into their songs; dialogue was very rare. The few words that were actually spoken intermitently were so convincing that I missed having dialogue, and I think this film could have been even more powerful presented with more spoken interaction among characters between songs. 9 on a scale of 1-10 though!

--hide--

I also thought the scenes that you mentioned were very difficult to watch. I really disliked the Thenardiers, though, because of
how ugly they made them look and how wicked they were. But I think that is what the producers wanted from them. I also
thought in the opening scenes, they made the characters look way too bad and repulsive looking. For me it was too disturbing and
I could not concentrate on the characters, just the costumes. That was just in the beginning though.

01/04/2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: Did you see it the other night? What's the verdict?
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Quote:
Mary-486033 said: Did you see it the other night? What's the verdict?

I did see it Thursday night. I found it very hard to get interested in, for about the first 30 or 40 minutes. It opened
up with too much of a crescendo. Anne Hathaway's part also came so early in the story that I could not muster
up much emotion and I was not ready for her terribly emotional part. As I said, I could not get into it in the
beginning. After I was able to concentrate on the story and not notice the details, it was a beautifully written

Every time I saw the play or when I saw this movie, I think about my Grandfather who passed his book on
to us, since it was his favorite novel. It makes me think of the power of the story and how strong one must be
to survive. My Grandfather died when I was 3 months old. I was his first grandchild, and he was so happy when

Somehow, when I read the book or saw the play or the movie, I feel him reaching out to me. And I think he is
telling me that life is not at all easy, but love and kindness is at the root of it all.

I hope you will tell me what you think when you see the movie, Mary. I definitely recommend it.

--hide--
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Marianne. I was rethinking my plans to see the movie because I read some negative reviews. Also, wasn't sure I was in the mood for something really heavy.

Will definitely share my thoughts when I see it.
01/05/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Marianne. I was rethinking my plans to see the movie because I read ...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Marianne. I was rethinking my plans to see the movie because I read some negative reviews. Also, wasn't sure I was in the mood for something really heavy.

Will definitely share my thoughts when I see it.
--hide--

Mary, The movie is definitely heavy. And it is very long. Be prepared.

01/05/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I also thought the scenes that you mentioned were very difficult to watch. I really di...

I also thought the scenes that you mentioned were very difficult to watch. I really disliked the Thenardiers, though, because of
how ugly they made them look and how wicked they were. But I think that is what the producers wanted from them. I also
thought in the opening scenes, they made the characters look way too bad and repulsive looking. For me it was too disturbing and
I could not concentrate on the characters, just the costumes. That was just in the beginning though.

--hide--

Marianne, I agree that the Thénardiers were the worst kind of immoral people, and I certainly don't admire them. I only meant in my previous post that the actors portrayed them well. Helena Bonham Carter has played numerous character roles, some of them bordering on sinister, but she does them so well. It's the same with Russel Crowe...his character was the bad guy, but yet I really enjoyed watching Crowe's interpretation of the character.

I know what you mean about the characters looking repulsive. The fact that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway lost so much weight for the parts disturbed me. It makes one wonder if the way these actors were made up was at all exaggerated. This was a time when people were poor, starving, there was no modern medical care, disease was running rampant. Those scenes do strike a nerve.

01/05/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I did see it Thursday night. I found it very hard to get interested in, for about the ...

--hide--

It's remarkable that you have such a personal connection to this story! I believe that those who love us (and are now in heaven) send us messages in ways that we would be able to understand. He is surely looking out for you!

01/06/2013 new

This was my personal favorite version.
www.imdb.com
Michael Rennie was great as Jean.Robert Newton is a standout as Inspector Javert.

01/06/2013 new

(Quote) Alena-887599 said: Marianne, I agree that the Thénardiers were the worst kind of immoral people, ...
(Quote) Alena-887599 said:

Marianne, I agree that the Thénardiers were the worst kind of immoral people, and I certainly don't admire them. I only meant in my previous post that the actors portrayed them well. Helena Bonham Carter has played numerous character roles, some of them bordering on sinister, but she does them so well. It's the same with Russel Crowe...his character was the bad guy, but yet I really enjoyed watching Crowe's interpretation of the character.

I know what you mean about the characters looking repulsive. The fact that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway lost so much weight for the parts disturbed me. It makes one wonder if the way these actors were made up was at all exaggerated. This was a time when people were poor, starving, there was no modern medical care, disease was running rampant. Those scenes do strike a nerve.

--hide--

I did think Anne Hathaway looked very thin. Yes, the characters were repulsive, very repulsive. The original people at that time were
probably that bad or worse. I don't think they had very long lives either.

01/06/2013 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: This was my personal favorite version. www.imdb.com.
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

This was my personal favorite version.
www.imdb.com
Michael Rennie was great as Jean.Robert Newton is a standout as Inspector Javert.

--hide--

Brian, was that picture mostly singing, also?
I know Les Mes had been on TV about 2 weeks ago. My neighbor had
told me. It must have been that version.

Posts 11 - 20 of 33