Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

How well known is the Christian Pop/Rock genre in the Catholic community? I only recently discovered it two years ago, and some of the songs are beautiful!! Does anyone out there have any favorite Christian artists??

Here's one of my favorites...Brandon Heath! Enjoy!

www.youtube.com

Jan 5th 2013 new

I started listening to Christian music back in 2002, I still enjoy listening to it but have fallen in love with Handel, Bach, etc.

Here are some of my favorite songs by Christian arists... check them out they are all great biggrin

Lord of the Dance by Steven Curtis Chapman, he is a very great artist, totally awesome www.youtube.com

Place in this World by Michael W. Smith, another great artist www.youtube.com

When God Made You by Newsong, this is the perfect wedding song (I think) www.youtube.com

Something Beautiful by Newsboys, which is another great group www.youtube.com

Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant, great singer and awesome song www.youtube.com

Of course, Christian artists and songs are endless because there are so many great songs and artists that I have not listed.

Jan 5th 2013 new

Thanks, Jessica! I listened to all of them. The last was my favorite. The Nativity Story is such a beautiful film. Breath of Heaven is such a pretty song.

Jan 10th 2013 new

I don't tend to care for Christian pop and have even heard troubling things about some by even Protestant sites I found, while looking into them. There's probably error in them we might sing along with, such as being saved by just believing in Jesus as our personal lord and savior. Still, I admit to enjoying a few Michael Card songs. John Michael Talbot's choral arrangements rock even more than some of his pop songs. I did like Jars of Clay's video back in the last years of MTV being mostly about showing videos. Was it called, "40 Days" or "30 days"?

Jan 10th 2013 new

I like Kari Jobe and Hillsong. I went to a Hillsong concert last fall and it was an awesome experience! I believe Hillsong was at one of the WYDs also. I'm going to see Chris Tomlin/Kari Jobe in concert in February. I also like Natalie Grant, Britt Nicole, and other artists on those WOW CDs.

Jan 21st 2013 new

Going to a Christian music concert is on my list of things to do. It's great that you got to go to one, Claudine!

Another of my favorites is "City on our knees" by Tobymac.

Jan 23rd 2013 new
I know lots of musicians who were never Christian,

or they had strayed from the Faith.

Celebrity musicians who made music in the secular world,

to make piles of money,

but are now back with Christ are fascinating.

There are trace elements in their "old" lyrics,

that show you that they were struggling with God,

and more correctly, against Satan.

And there are protestant Christian musicians who will one day show up on the "Journey Home" with Marcus Grodi on EWTN and their protestant following - will follow them into the Catholic church.

When I listen to non-Catholic, yet decidely Christian music,

I always think of Jesus imploring us not to worry about denominational distinctions

but to keep our eyes on Him (Luke 9: 50)

for He is the Piper Calling the Tune.

If you know "Stairway to Heaven"

and have heard Robert Plant and the Band of Joy,

you smiled while reading this post.
Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Phil-720324 said: I don't tend to care for Christian pop and have even heard troubling things about some by even...
(Quote) Phil-720324 said:

I don't tend to care for Christian pop and have even heard troubling things about some by even Protestant sites I found, while looking into them. There's probably error in them we might sing along with, such as being saved by just believing in Jesus as our personal lord and savior. Still, I admit to enjoying a few Michael Card songs. John Michael Talbot's choral arrangements rock even more than some of his pop songs. I did like Jars of Clay's video back in the last years of MTV being mostly about showing videos. Was it called, "40 Days" or "30 days"?

--hide--

I think the song you're thinking of is Flood, their breakthrough hit. It got tons of airplay in Christian and Secular circles. Jars went quickly from playing churches and gyms to arenas.

youtu.be

Jan 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) John-132457 said: (Quote) Phil-720324 said: I don't tend to care for Christian pop and have even heard ...
(Quote) John-132457 said:

Quote:
Phil-720324 said:

I think the song you're thinking of is Flood, their breakthrough hit. It got tons of airplay in Christian and Secular circles. Jars went quickly from playing churches and gyms to arenas.

youtu.be

--hide--
I heard "Flood" on the radio the other day - on Sirius xm's The Message, their CCM station. Glad to hear it still getting airplay. thumbsup
Jan 28th 2013 new
Error is error. If you keep singing about us all going to Heaven, what will stick? Familiarity seems to breed syncretism in most (maybe not your friends). I hear plenty of Catholics t the nursing home, where I work, think Protestants should receive Jesus in the form of the consecrated host because "we're all Christians". One believes that their communion is a sacrament and not different than ours. Some say all faiths are good, regardless of pernicious errors. Jesus came to bring the truth, so it's kind of a slap in his face and that of The Holy Spirit to believe that, as any faith not protected by the latter from error is demonbait and Scripture says what is taught differently from what they have received are doctrines of demons. Some Catholics bring non-Catholics to the faith, but did the Jews who crossed the Jordan bring the syncretists to their faith? Nope. They partied, intermarried, probably felt like their faith was too stiff and exclusivist, and didn't teach their kids their faith. Sound familiar? There's a reason for the old "Index of Forbidden Books", but what did they know, right? They were probably isolationists and haters, too. We're much wiser, now. Yeah, right.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10