Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't have a basic understanding of the Catholic faith and is unwilling to listen?
Jan 5th 2013 new

Walk away. Pray but don't push anything in their face.

Jan 5th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she d...
(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't have a basic understanding of the Catholic faith and is unwilling to listen?
--hide--

That depends entirely on the context.

Jan 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Walk away. Pray but don't push anything in their face.
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Walk away. Pray but don't push anything in their face.

--hide--

I asked because I ended up "unfriending" someone I went to high school because she started posting vitriol against the Church on my FB page and was uninterested in dialoguing.
Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I asked because I ended up "unfriending" someone I went to high school because she star...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

I asked because I ended up "unfriending" someone I went to high school because she started posting vitriol against the Church on my FB page and was uninterested in dialoguing.
--hide--

Oh, in the case of Facebook, I try to not get into a losing battle, but I don't quit posting prayers, wisdom and truths of the Catholic Church. I sometimes erase their comments on my links or posts, and I even 'hide' their posts from my timeline, but not always do I unfriend them -- I pray something I post hits them right and they wake up to a truth, but I don't hold my breath. And occasionally I do 'go to battle,' especially about abortion or ssm or intercession of the Saints, etc, but I try to step away from the computer and pray long and hard about what to post -- sometimes the words I type are God-given and sometimes they aren't, but I do have a very liberal friend who is at polar opposites on almost everything and we somehow don't end our friendship even when we battle. I think she respects my strong opinions that I back up with real sources of Catholic teaching. But she doesn't change her position. But occasionally a few of her friends do from witnessing our debates.

Jan 6th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: I asked because I ended up "unfriending" someone I went to high school because she started postin...

--hide--

There is nothing you can do. I have had to unfriend people i have known my whole life because of their stand in areas I feel strongly about. Some people see FB as a way to evangelize and defend the Faith. I see FB as a way to stay connected to close friends and family. I will not accept a friend request until I review their page and their posts. My privacy is set to where no one can read my page except friends. I currently have about 75 friend requests that I have not responded to and have deleted about another 50.
Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she d...
(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't have a basic understanding of the Catholic faith and is unwilling to listen?
--hide--

I think if the person was Catholic, if possible, take the conversation offline and let them express their hurt, "listen". To seek first to understand. I think they need this in order to bring healing.

I can't say I have done this but hopefully I may be more ready in the future?

I really only have one experience of this - and someone in the church said something very hurtful to the person when their parents were getting divorced. In other words, the church or church members may have failed that person in an instance and they are giving us a chance to help repair it.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I asked because I ended up "unfriending" someone I went to high school because she star...

--hide--
I just have fun debating them, and showing them truth hoping a seed will be planted. Almost all of the people I new in high school on face book always attack me on a women right to choose. I just keep it coming and get rid of anything nasty when it comes.

I think I drive them crazy, because they are always willing to debate. My favorite line to them is, Good thing your mom kept you or we wouldn't be have this debate, would we? That one drives them crasy and always livins up the debate. I think the weirdest thing is, they all believe in all these saving animals causes, but not saving babies. Just shows you how upside down this world has gotten today. Everything you say to them enters there brain as a possible seed and some day might open there eyes.

Jesus said I sent you out amongest wolves and he said they will hate you but they hated me first. Don't worry what to say to them it will come to you from above. Stand in there and they will here what you have to say, Some day it might help them or make them think. IMHO Tommy

Jan 7th 2013 new

--hide--

love them. listen to them. don't say much, just a few well-placed words here and there to get them thinking.

better hatred than indifference. hatred of the faith implies that they may yet return. be patient and realize it's not up to us to bring them back. but by loving, listening, and a few well-chosen words, we may help them begin that process.

Jan 9th 2013 new

The best thing varies from person to person. When someone challenges me to defend the Catholic tenets, liturgy, history, or actions, I reply that it's not necessary for me to defend an institution that was chartered by Christ and has flourished for nearly 2000 years before I was born to defend it, and will continue to flourish without my defense long after I'm gone. But I'm always willing to discuss and explain the Faith to the best of my own (limited) knowledge of Apologetics. When I don't have an immediate answer to a specific question (and that's more often than not) I offer to research it and provide them with a timely answer. If it's a friend or family member I remind them if they like and respect who I am and how I carry myself, they can credit the Catholic Church for being my foundation.

Posts 1 - 10 of 29