Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 4th 2013 new

Kathy, some of my neighbors are quite friendly and some keep to themselves. A single gal lives next to me, and she and I are good friends. We get each other's mail when we're gone, I feed her cat when she's gone, etc. Most of my neighbors will stop and talk to me when I am out in my yard working.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Amy-932321 said: Kathy, some of my neighbors are quite friendly and some keep to themselves. A single gal lives next...
(Quote) Amy-932321 said:

Kathy, some of my neighbors are quite friendly and some keep to themselves. A single gal lives next to me, and she and I are good friends. We get each other's mail when we're gone, I feed her cat when she's gone, etc. Most of my neighbors will stop and talk to me when I am out in my yard working.

--hide--

Thank you for sharing, Amy, and welcome to CM. You'll find most everyone in these forums quite neighborly in a long distance, helping hand sort-of-way.

I guess I feel really grateful for where I live. We moved when our children were really young so they would have friends to play with. This place has been just that! God must have had this place in mind as I can't imagine going through everything in my old neighborhood. I don't even think anyone would have noticed (though it was a hotspot for the occasional garage sale:) It makes a difference having people you trust next door.

Jan 6th 2013 new

When driving around most of the rural South, we share the index finger wave ... Not to be confused with the New York wave.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Donnie-397050 said: When driving around most of the rural South, we share the index finger wave ... Not to be confus...
(Quote) Donnie-397050 said:

When driving around most of the rural South, we share the index finger wave ... Not to be confused with the New York wave.

--hide--
Hey Donnie, wave

Being a southern gal (TN) I get the index finger wave.... thumbsup

But as a funny aside to your "New York wave"...... when I was a teenager, I remember my Mamaw visiting us once and sitting on our front porch with my brothers. Now my brothers were full of mischief and told my Mamaw that using the "New York wave" was the Northern way of saying, hey. So every time time a car would come down the street my brothers would say, "now, Mamaw, give them the "New York wave". (aka, finger). laughing laughing

Your post also made me think of the old addage....when a southern girl says, "well bless your heart", we all know what she's really saying. (has something to do with kissing the back end) wink shhh

Jan 6th 2013 new

when we first moved to the neighborhood, we would help the elderly with snow removal. most of them have left (died), and now my next door neighbor is helped with snow removal by my 2 kids. fluffy fluffy fluffy

Jan 7th 2013 new

I'm very blessed - my neighbors are wonderful - we've gotten along for years! biggrin

I go out now and then with the one to my left. We've done dinners both at home and out, movies both at home and out, or just grabbed a drink or pizza togethersomewhere. We wind up chatting every time we see each other outside doing yard work too.

The older retired couple on the right are very sweet too - I get their mail and watch the house when they travel. We also have a standing arrangement - I supply her with home grown tomatoes throughout the summer, and she gives me jars of her home made jams - strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry. (I think I have the better end of that deal.) laughing shhh

Our house is on a small private lake, and all 17 homes have agreed that any of us can walk on the 5 feet edging the entire lake - on anyone's property. No fences are allowed to block that walking area. We stock the lake too, and everyone is allowed to fish from any property too. There are many times I walk down the hill to our dock to chat with the neighbor kids, or help them bait a hook or remove a fish they've caught.

We Hoosiers are a friendly bunch! wink laughing hug

Jan 7th 2013 new

I'm not neighborly... I cannot properly cultivate a reputation of being the eccentric spinster in the area if the people who live here find out I'm actually quite normal. laughing

Anyway, I don't really live in an area where you can walk a few steps next door to chat with your neighbors. My neighbor across the street has actually stopped over on his ATV. rolling eyes At least I'll walk!

Jan 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or do you share BBQ's?

When I moved into my current home, I was greeted by my neighbors and a home-made apple pie. I live in a neighborhood full of good, Christian families. They are always anxious to help out and we get along great. We share meals, pools, trampolines and prayers. How about you? Are you in a neighborly neighborhood?

--hide--

I like to think I'm pretty neighborly, but I live in a quiet neighborhood & everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. I have friends down the road that have kids the same age as mine & we visit quite often. My neighbors across the street are a retired couple & aren't too talkative. In the 3 years that they've lived there, we've maybe spoken 10 times, if that. But they do sweet little favors for me throughout the year. Sometimes during the summer, they mow my grass while I'm at work & they've shoveled snow for me a couple times. They don't seem too keen on being noticed for their kindness or even thanked, but I'm very grateful for them & I think they're very kind neighbors!

biggrin
Jan 8th 2013 new

I only know a few of my neighbors after living here for the past 4 years. My neighborhood is older (built in the 1950s) and still has some of the original home owners in their houses. I have a couple elderly women on each side of my house and I try to help out with snow removal whenever I have a chance to use my new snowblower smile I don't see many of my neighbors due to working night shift, but I know they're around somewhere tongue

Jan 8th 2013 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Do you get along with your neighbors and do they get along with you? Did you put up a fence to keep them out or do you share BBQ's?

When I moved into my current home, I was greeted by my neighbors and a home-made apple pie. I live in a neighborhood full of good, Christian families. They are always anxious to help out and we get along great. We share meals, pools, trampolines and prayers. How about you? Are you in a neighborly neighborhood?

--hide--

My neighbohood used to be (note- use to be) awesome. It was full of middle class and working class poor (don't know a nicer wat to put that)and hard working immigranty families. There was a genuine caring community feeling. Every one knew each other and helped each other. Kids played on the side streets and school yards, teenagers hung out on stoops and the elderly sat in front of their building and socialized with each other and their nighbors. It was safe for kids to be out and about because everyone looked out for each others kids.

But now, due to gentrification, the neighborhood has become trendy,and that community feel is slowly dying. Yes property values have gone up, but at a price. The working poor have been pushed out, sometimes illegally, to make room for people who can pay extremely high rents. People have been harrassed out of their apartments also. The middle class cannot afford it here either and people who have rent protected apartments are harrassed endlessly by landlord. The wealthy people who have moved in have no community mindset. They only care about themselves and people like them. Youth hanging out or people sitting in front of their buildings is now loitering and not allowed. The new people don't say hello to their fellow neighbors and look down on people who are not as affluent as them. I've overheard many of these new people say that the long time residents need to leave to make room for the new people- that it's the new peoples turn to enjoy the. Its very sad what has happened here.

Every time a long time resident dies or moves out, my old neighborhood shrinks more and more.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off like that. I'm not looking for a pity party or make it sound so bad- it's just really different than in the past. I still happy here and prefer to live here because it's a desireable area, I have a great apartment for the price I pay and it is extremely convenient to live here. But I would welcome a change, especially if there was a husband in my life.
Posts 11 - 20 of 40