Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

07/10/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestan...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestant without the Catholic Guilt complex and baggage! Of course, that goes over like a lead balloon - now doesn't it?

--hide--
Interesting comments -- which lead me to believe you haven't looked at what's available. Your comment above can easily be interpreted as an insult to the fine CM ladies. If you regard a person's "history" as "baggage", you'll find it's not reserved for Catholics only -- it's readily available (and perhaps moreso) in other faith denominations. In case you haven't noticed, your bitterness is showing. It's sad to think of others leading their lives that way when there are so many positive elements to everyday living. Even during this period of time, a sad one for me because of a recent loss, there is hope, which is derived from the gift of our Faith.

By the way, you didn't answer the questions posed.

07/14/2012 new

(Quote) Loretta-841943 said: They say fences make good neighbors and I feel that a pre-nup concerning assets would also make...
(Quote) Loretta-841943 said:

They say fences make good neighbors and I feel that a pre-nup concerning assets would also make a good spouse.

--hide--

Hi Loretta, theheart rosary wave ,

I recently had my will prepared. I am a widow, and have been on my own for over 15 years; one adult son.

To preare for a future marriage and concern for my son gaining certain assets I now own I did this.

I own some land in a state that is close to my son; he is not interested in it to improved or live on it now, but someday he might. So, I have my attorney put both of us on the deed of ownership as in "tenancy with right to survivorship". So, if either of us passes the other automatically owns the property. There are many ways to make sure assets etc. are protected for the children.

And, the will states that anything I may acquire in the future will go to my son upon my death. So, if I remarry and years pass, and my husband passes, I may gain his estate or part of it. In this case upon my death my son inherits all my assests, and belongs.

It's my future husband who would have to do the same if he would want certain ownership not to pass to me, and say to his children from a previous marriage. But, when I marry, a Catholic and I would join together in Christ for his will, and a prenup for that reason of his children or mine would be the only reason to do it. (From a Catholic view)

07/16/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I would think that the pre-nup would s...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Kathy-99973 said:

I would think that the pre-nup would show that both spouses agree on the arrangement (disposition of assets to children from previous marriage, or to other family members).

The main thing to remember is to get a priest to approve the pre-nuptials prior to the Catholic wedding ceremony.

The problem with a pre-nup agreement is that there is a logical assumption that the couple has reason to believe the marriage won't last, and that separation or divorce is a possibility. Therein lies the conflict about the marriage covenant (as opposed to a contract). The marriage vows are intended to be permanent in the eyes of the Church (founded upon God's law and teachings).

--hide--

You know what the base word of assumption is - assume and you know what that means, don't you - It makes an ASS of U and ME!

01/06/2013 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestan...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestant without the Catholic Guilt complex and baggage! Of course, that goes over like a lead balloon - now doesn't it?

--hide--

Having been married/annulled to/from a Protestant TWICE in my life, I will NEVER marry outside of the Church again! I want that Catholic woman as committed to "...until death do us part..." and working to keep us together, together, as I am.

I believe it was that [lack of] "Catholic Guilt complex" which led both of those women to seek and file for divorce before trying to work out the differences. This re-committed Catholic says DO NOT look for a nice protestant girl. Period.

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-928087 said: Having been married/annulled to/from a Protestant TWICE in my life, I will NEVER marr...
(Quote) Jerry-928087 said:

Having been married/annulled to/from a Protestant TWICE in my life, I will NEVER marry outside of the Church again! I want that Catholic woman as committed to "...until death do us part..." and working to keep us together, together, as I am.

I believe it was that [lack of] "Catholic Guilt complex" which led both of those women to seek and file for divorce before trying to work out the differences. This re-committed Catholic says DO NOT look for a nice protestant girl. Period.

--hide--

I second that emotion! biggrin

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-471894 said: Hi Loretta, ,I recently had my will prepared. I am a widow, and have been on...
(Quote) Sandra-471894 said:

Hi Loretta, ,

I recently had my will prepared. I am a widow, and have been on my own for over 15 years; one adult son.

To preare for a future marriage and concern for my son gaining certain assets I now own I did this.

I own some land in a state that is close to my son; he is not interested in it to improved or live on it now, but someday he might. So, I have my attorney put both of us on the deed of ownership as in "tenancy with right to survivorship". So, if either of us passes the other automatically owns the property. There are many ways to make sure assets etc. are protected for the children.

And, the will states that anything I may acquire in the future will go to my son upon my death. So, if I remarry and years pass, and my husband passes, I may gain his estate or part of it. In this case upon my death my son inherits all my assests, and belongs.

It's my future husband who would have to do the same if he would want certain ownership not to pass to me, and say to his children from a previous marriage. But, when I marry, a Catholic and I would join together in Christ for his will, and a prenup for that reason of his children or mine would be the only reason to do it. (From a Catholic view)

--hide--

Hi Sandra,

I have the liability of being a lawyer, too, and I would suggest a Family Trust or a transfer of land to your son with you holding a life estate. If your future husband is not happy with the will, he can elect to receive a child's share (at least in Tennessee law) and other spousal benefits which will decrease the estate.

- Elizabeth

01/23/2013 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Interesting comments -- which lead me to believe you haven't looked at what's available. Your comment abo...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Interesting comments -- which lead me to believe you haven't looked at what's available. Your comment above can easily be interpreted as an insult to the fine CM ladies. If you regard a person's "history" as "baggage", you'll find it's not reserved for Catholics only -- it's readily available (and perhaps moreso) in other faith denominations. In case you haven't noticed, your bitterness is showing. It's sad to think of others leading their lives that way when there are so many positive elements to everyday living. Even during this period of time, a sad one for me because of a recent loss, there is hope, which is derived from the gift of our Faith.

By the way, you didn't answer the questions posed.

--hide--

Ray, I think that you made a very good effort in this. Thank-you. clap
02/06/2013 new
I do not believe a pre nup is bad nor do I believe it displays any lack of faith in a marriage. I admit, I have never been married, but I see no issue in this document. No one wants a divorce nor do they want to exercise the pre nup. Older people have children, their retirement. I personally do not think God will frown on this document. I also think a will should be put together before the marriage to protect your interests in your children and family members.
02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Jodee-922324 said: I do not believe a pre nup is bad nor do I believe it displays any lack of faith in a marriage. I admit,...
(Quote) Jodee-922324 said: I do not believe a pre nup is bad nor do I believe it displays any lack of faith in a marriage. I admit, I have never been married, but I see no issue in this document. No one wants a divorce nor do they want to exercise the pre nup. Older people have children, their retirement. I personally do not think God will frown on this document. I also think a will should be put together before the marriage to protect your interests in your children and family members.
--hide--

For better or worse, neither your opinion, nor mine, nor that of anyone else contributing to this topic matters since Christ gave the Church binding authority on matters of faith and morals, not each individual.

The Church does permit prenuptial agreements that provide for children from previous marriages upon death; what is prohibited are those which have conditions related to divorce.

02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: For better or worse, neither your opinion, nor mine, nor that of anyone else contributing to this topic m...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: For better or worse, neither your opinion, nor mine, nor that of anyone else contributing to this topic matters since Christ gave the Church binding authority on matters of faith and morals, not each individual.

The Church does permit prenuptial agreements that provide for children from previous marriages upon death; what is prohibited are those which have conditions related to divorce.

--hide--

Hear, hear, Jerry. For better or for worse - from this day forward. Our childrens' interests should not be sacrificed at the feet of our move forward into the future - nor do I think our Lord wants that - nor should any new love.

Posts 31 - 40 of 44