Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Well, guess what the answers are? We did expect it. Obama has been flexing his muscles.

And now the next "status quo" is to keep the Government on its short track to oblivion, and
that means raising the Debt Ceiling. How soon will that happen? Too soon.

This feels like a RUNAWAY TRAIN.......

They are shameless in Washington, D.C.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Well, guess what the answers are? We did expect it. Obama has been flexing his muscles.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Well, guess what the answers are? We did expect it. Obama has been flexing his muscles.

And now the next "status quo" is to keep the Government on its short track to oblivion, and
that means raising the Debt Ceiling. How soon will that happen? Too soon.

This feels like a RUNAWAY TRAIN.......

They are shameless in Washington, D.C.

--hide--
As I understand it, they agreed not to address spending cuts this time around but postponed it for a few months. If the Republican leadership stands firm, it will get really ugly. Can't wait- already bought the popcorn. Wouldn't it be simpler if they brought back dueling?

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: As I understand it, they agreed not to address spending cuts this time around but postponed it fo...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

As I understand it, they agreed not to address spending cuts this time around but postponed it for a few months. If the Republican leadership stands firm, it will get really ugly. Can't wait- already bought the popcorn. Wouldn't it be simpler if they brought back dueling?

--hide--

I'd be happy to buy them the guns. I have very little faith in the Republican leadership, though I think leadership is not the right word for what we are seeing. The debt ceiling fight will be a mess. I wish someone would calculate what the cost is for all these political fights. My guess is that the debt could be greatly reduced just by Congress and the president doing their job. But then, that would be too much to ask.

- Elizabeth

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: I'd be happy to buy them the guns. I have very little faith in the Republica...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

I'd be happy to buy them the guns. I have very little faith in the Republican leadership, though I think leadership is not the right word for what we are seeing. The debt ceiling fight will be a mess. I wish someone would calculate what the cost is for all these political fights. My guess is that the debt could be greatly reduced just by Congress and the president doing their job. But then, that would be too much to ask.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Talk about calculations, Elizabeth, did you see how many millions Obama's trip to Hawaii cost? He should pay for his own
transportation. Bad enough there has to be three shifts of Secret Service guys each day, with lots of men in each shift,
guarding Obama and his family. That is a lot of money in itself.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: As I understand it, they agreed not to address spending cuts this time around but postponed it fo...

--hide--

Yep, they agreed not to address spending cuts, this time around, but that means, so far, no spending cuts. And
the debt ceiling will probably go up next, because the big guy said he ain't going to take any nonsense about it.

He is a clueless leader, if ever I saw one. Spend, spend, spend. The people in Staten Island, New Jersey
Rockaways, Breezy Point and Connecticut are still suffering and without homes. And the homes they have
don't have heat or electricity. Where is their help? Oh, Obama is swimming with the sharks in Hawaii....nice
and sunny waters there.

Jan 6th 2013 new

We need someone in Congress who will stand up and say, ok, we gave you the tax increases, now we're going to hold your proverbial feet to the fire and demand government downsizing, entitlement reform and the myriad of other fiscally responsible actions that a government can do. Of all people, it's looking like Sen. Mitch McConnell is leading this charge. We have got to have leaders who will present themselves as willing to be more accountable than current leadership.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Yep, they agreed not to address spending cuts, this time around, but that means, so fa...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Yep, they agreed not to address spending cuts, this time around, but that means, so far, no spending cuts. And
the debt ceiling will probably go up next, because the big guy said he ain't going to take any nonsense about it.

He is a clueless leader, if ever I saw one. Spend, spend, spend. The people in Staten Island, New Jersey
Rockaways, Breezy Point and Connecticut are still suffering and without homes. And the homes they have
don't have heat or electricity. Where is their help? Oh, Obama is swimming with the sharks in Hawaii....nice
and sunny waters there.

--hide--
I keep asking my liberal friends how we can spend our way to prosperity, but they keep changing the subject. rolling eyes scratchchin

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: We need someone in Congress who will stand up and say, ok, we gave you the tax increases, now we&#...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

We need someone in Congress who will stand up and say, ok, we gave you the tax increases, now we're going to hold your proverbial feet to the fire and demand government downsizing, entitlement reform and the myriad of other fiscally responsible actions that a government can do. Of all people, it's looking like Sen. Mitch McConnell is leading this charge. We have got to have leaders who will present themselves as willing to be more accountable than current leadership.

--hide--

I think you are right, John. And, Sen. Mitch McConnell seems to be the only one really standing up. I think the wimp factor has taken over Washington, which makes me wonder what the White House is hanging over their heads.

- Elizabeth

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: I think you are right, John. And, Sen. Mitch McConnell seems to be the only one ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

I think you are right, John. And, Sen. Mitch McConnell seems to be the only one really standing up. I think the wimp factor has taken over Washington, which makes me wonder what the White House is hanging over their heads.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Arkansas is a small state in many ways. Nobody is too far removed from pretty much everybody in Washington. However, those elected officials aren't that far removed from the business people in this state, too, and those business people in this state have some very strong opinions off-stage about liking their elected officials to show a little more leadership these days. The state here is known for showing some spine and having a more active and pragmatic type of politics ( our balanced budget law allows us only to spend 90 percent of tax revenues, for example ) and the business people here would be elated to see their elected officials from Arkansas become more like Mitch McConnell and less like John Boehner. We like our politicians from Arkansas because you can generally get them to level with you. However, I think you can ask just about anyone around the state and they'd be more satisfied if there was a little more fight in the dog.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I keep asking my liberal friends how we can spend our way to prosperity, but they keep changing t...

I keep asking my liberal friends how we can spend our way to prosperity, but they keep changing the subject.

--hide--

I am putting my hopes in the NJ Governor, to run for President in 2016. Christie is a no-nonsense kind of guy.
I hope he will run. I know he must be good because my "Oh so liberal" cousin from NJ hates him.

Posts 1 - 10 of 16