Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Thess-624577 said: ...our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.
(Quote) Thess-624577 said:

...our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.

--hide--

Vehicle-related deaths in this country are far more prevalent than are gun-related deaths. Chevrolets and Volvos don't kill people. Far more people die in this country from smoking and cholesterol. Spoons don't make people fat, and spoons don't kill people either.

I haven't owned a gun for the last 20 years, and don't personally see the need for one myself personally. That said, I do believe in the second amendment and in the interpretation that law abiding citizens should have the right to keep and bear arms. You never hear about shootings at firing ranges and guns shows -- places where there are guns in the most concentrated degree possible. Why is that?

We have created a society that allows the most violent movies and video games imaginable. Violence has been glorified, while at the same time we have taken God out of our schools. We support abortion as a "right", yet fight for the lives of baby seals and the whales. Every action we have taken as a society in the last 30 years has been that of devaluing human life. The average person under the age of 20 has probably seen 10,000 deaths on TV or in the movies. And each year the scenes get more gory as the level of desensitization increases.

Guns are not the problem. They are merely a sympton of what we have been spoonfeeding the youth of this country for the last 30 years. Have you noticed that its not the older generations that are doing all of this violence? It is our younger generation that has been largely raised to not respect human life.

Columbine
Oklahoma City
Virginia Tech
Aurora, Co
Newtown, Ct

all these high profile mass deaths performed by children raised during the period when God left our schools, abortion became a convenience, whales and seals became more important than our own unborn, and movies like Terminator and the Matrix became our preferred entertainment genre. And what of the family unit that is the very foundation of society meant to guard against these views? No longer defined as between a man and a woman. For that matter no longer encouraged as we have "marriage penatlies" in our tax code. And our kids can get their own abortions in some places without having to notify parents.

Gun laws? What, like Mao Tse Tung, or Pol Pot, or Hilter or Lenin put into place? The first sign that a people are about to lose their freedom and become part of a dictatorship are when the guns are taken away from the general citizenship. Happens EVERY SINGLE time. I support the second amendment even though I do not own a single gun.

01/07/2013 new
Armed guards and police in schools...I don't know. I think we are just begging for a police state. Do we all understand what that is? The apostles throughout history have not fought violence with violence; it has only been defeated with love. If that sounds too flowery-it's not. Love means spending time with children, protecting them from forces that will turn their minds, hearts and souls, praying. We tend to favor the quick solution, but is it really a solution? Or are we headed toward a real loss of freedom? We should take our playbook neither from the gun lobby nor from those who would take away our rights. We should follow the promptings of Our Lady, Our Lord and St. Joseph. God bless. www.ourladyofamerica.org
01/07/2013 new

(Quote) ed-925050 said: Vehicle-related deaths in this country are far more prevalent than are gun-related deaths. C...
(Quote) ed-925050 said:

Vehicle-related deaths in this country are far more prevalent than are gun-related deaths. Chevrolets and Volvos don't kill people. Far more people die in this country from smoking and cholesterol. Spoons don't make people fat, and spoons don't kill people either.

I haven't owned a gun for the last 20 years, and don't personally see the need for one myself personally. That said, I do believe in the second amendment and in the interpretation that law abiding citizens should have the right to keep and bear arms. You never hear about shootings at firing ranges and guns shows -- places where there are guns in the most concentrated degree possible. Why is that?

We have created a society that allows the most violent movies and video games imaginable. Violence has been glorified, while at the same time we have taken God out of our schools. We support abortion as a "right", yet fight for the lives of baby seals and the whales. Every action we have taken as a society in the last 30 years has been that of devaluing human life. The average person under the age of 20 has probably seen 10,000 deaths on TV or in the movies. And each year the scenes get more gory as the level of desensitization increases.

Guns are not the problem. They are merely a sympton of what we have been spoonfeeding the youth of this country for the last 30 years. Have you noticed that its not the older generations that are doing all of this violence? It is our younger generation that has been largely raised to not respect human life.

Columbine
Oklahoma City
Virginia Tech
Aurora, Co
Newtown, Ct

all these high profile mass deaths performed by children raised during the period when God left our schools, abortion became a convenience, whales and seals became more important than our own unborn, and movies like Terminator and the Matrix became our preferred entertainment genre. And what of the family unit that is the very foundation of society meant to guard against these views? No longer defined as between a man and a woman. For that matter no longer encouraged as we have "marriage penatlies" in our tax code. And our kids can get their own abortions in some places without having to notify parents.

Gun laws? What, like Mao Tse Tung, or Pol Pot, or Hilter or Lenin put into place? The first sign that a people are about to lose their freedom and become part of a dictatorship are when the guns are taken away from the general citizenship. Happens EVERY SINGLE time. I support the second amendment even though I do not own a single gun.

--hide--
I could not agree more Ed. You have hit the nail on the head!

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) ed-925050 said: Vehicle-related deaths in this country are far more prevalent than are gun-related deaths. C...
(Quote) ed-925050 said:

Columbine
Oklahoma City
Virginia Tech
Aurora, Co
Newtown, Ct

--hide--
Well said Ed, well said.

01/09/2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: Armed guards and police in schools...I don't know. I think we are just begging for a police state. Do we all un...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Armed guards and police in schools...I don't know. I think we are just begging for a police state. Do we all understand what that is? The apostles throughout history have not fought violence with violence; it has only been defeated with love. If that sounds too flowery-it's not. Love means spending time with children, protecting them from forces that will turn their minds, hearts and souls, praying. We tend to favor the quick solution, but is it really a solution? Or are we headed toward a real loss of freedom? We should take our playbook neither from the gun lobby nor from those who would take away our rights. We should follow the promptings of Our Lady, Our Lord and St. Joseph. God bless. www.ourladyofamerica.org
--hide--
In schools armed guards and police could keep things in control. All bullies are to be removed from the environment. Schools need to have an anti-bully program.
01/09/2013 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

Since the last several mass shootings were done by mentally deranged guys, it is suggested that those
who have mental illnesses not be sold guns. But I am not sure that a background check on a person
who wants to buy a gun, would be able to pull up information on the psychological state of the
purchaser. That is because there is patient/client confidentiality.

Am I missing something? How can that information be found when doing a background check for
gun purchasers? Maybe the information would be different from state to state.

It certainly would be important not to sell guns to any unstable individuals, but then I am afraid
civil rights will come into play. Implementing the concept may be very difficult.

01/09/2013 new

Cause for alarm...

www.cnn.com

01/09/2013 new
Change people's hearts and you'll change the world for the better. If we don't address the heart, things will continue to get worse.
01/09/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Since the last several mass shootings were done by mentally deranged guys, it is suggested...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Since the last several mass shootings were done by mentally deranged guys, it is suggested that those
who have mental illnesses not be sold guns. But I am not sure that a background check on a person
who wants to buy a gun, would be able to pull up information on the psychological state of the
purchaser. That is because there is patient/client confidentiality.

Am I missing something? How can that information be found when doing a background check for
gun purchasers? Maybe the information would be different from state to state.

It certainly would be important not to sell guns to any unstable individuals, but then I am afraid
civil rights will come into play. Implementing the concept may be very difficult.

--hide--

Marianne,

If you look at two recent shootings, Sandy Hook and the incident where the two firefighters were killed in upstate NY, the shooters themselves never bought the guns. In the Sandy Hook shooting, the teenager apparently used the Bushmaster AR-15 that his dingbat mother kept in the same house with her unstable son. In the upstate NY incident, a woman was recently arrested and charged with making false statements in the purchase of the rifle that the shooter allegedly used. (She allegedly purchased the gun for him, but stated she was purchasing the gun for herself. He could not make the purchase because he was a convicted felon.)

They ought to be giving an IQ test to whoever buys these things, but then I imagine the gunmakers would be out of business pretty quickly.

01/09/2013 new

I've been silently following this thread, and some of the ongoing debate over gun control laws, and I will freely admit that I am a citizen of the greatest country in the world Canada I can see some of the logic on both sides, and not living in the USA I understand that I may be seen as an outsider who shouldn't comment on another country's laws and going ons. However, as a sometimes visitor to the USA, and as someone with several friends and all of my brothers and sisters in God's entire family of all of humanity, it does affect me and my loved ones. I also would suggest that the USA doesn't hesitate to comment in many situations on the laws and going ons in other countries as well.

I also would reserve the right to change my mind if I ever were to end up in the USA in an area where I thought having a gun to protect my family, friends, and others would outstrip my current thoughts on gun control. When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

As many of you are aware, the gun control laws are not as different as some might think between Canada and the USA, and many other countries as well. I think what is the much larger issue, particularly when discussing gun violence, is the FEAR many Americans seem to have from their government (regardless of political leanings in many cases), and the ATTITUDE that more guns in the hands of almost everyone is better. Also, I fully understand that criminals will not be stopped from obtaining guns by increased gun laws. One point I would like to make though is that just the proliferation of guns in the USA make them that much more easily obtained and accessible by criminals, including people who were never criminals until they stole that gun from their mom or dad or someone else or until they used that gun they owned legally in a crime of passion.

I know that my upbringing and life in a country where guns, although often used for a variety of both legal and criminal reasons, are not staunchly defended by the 2nd Amendment of our constitution has likely affected my thoughts. I ask only that you think with an open mind, and I hope that one day, many of you will live in a place where there is not so much FEAR...not so much fear of each other and not so much fear of your (somewhat ironic) democratically elected government. I think increasing the number of guns for the good guys also does increase the number of guns for the bad guys.

I believe that the mental health aspects of this debate is likely where more work needs to be done, and that people need to be more attuned to their loved ones, and ensure that if there is someone who has had mental health issues, that it is as difficult as possible for them to gain any access to guns, or any other weapons. I think the strong feelings of needing to defend their 2nd amendment rights outweighs what is likely best in many cases for the family & loved ones.

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200