Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/6/obama-supporters-shocked-angry-new-tax-increases/<...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

www.washingtontimes.com

--hide--

Not only that, but wait til the faithful get a good look at the coming porkfest for the next four years.

www.foxnews.com

Jan 7th 2013 new

If simply the ending of the temporary suspension of the Social Security payroll deduction (referred to here as the "the tippy-top of the iceberg") has gotten them so upset, I can't wait to see their reaction when they start seeing the mountain of other new "revenue enhancements" for the middle class that will be coming down the pike (referred to hear as crashing into the huge submerged portion of the iceberg) to pay for the ballooning government for which they voted. Hopefully, we can do things to mitigate the massive mess ahead.

Just one somewhat obscure tax that took effect on January 1st... a 2.3% tax on the sale price (not the profit) of medical devices. Imagine how far-reaching this could be.... perhaps all of the equipment and tools used in a hospital or doctors office (and probably drug stores too), wheel chairs, crutches, eye patches, Q-Tips, tongue depressors, finger splints, cotton balls, ear wax removers, arm slings, etc., etc., etc. The list could truely be nearly endless.... And this is just one new tax.

www.irs.gov

Ed

Jan 7th 2013 new

Oh, and I just had to mention this new federal tax (which I believe started on January 1st)...

America's first federal tax on tanning services - A 10% levy designed to help pay for Congress's health-care overhaul.

From the Wall Street Journal article below:

"It's a universal truth in Washington: There's no such thing as a simple tax. Free tans at video-rental stores might be taxable, but tanning services offered by health clubs mostly aren't, thanks to a late exemption. Ultraviolet tans are taxed. Spray tans aren't. Tanning salons are fretting over how to calculate unlimited memberships that combine taxed and non-taxed tans. Customers, meanwhile, have been racing to cram in tanning sessions to avoid the levy."

online.wsj.com

I wonder if all those college students would have voted for Obama if they knew they would be paying 10% more when they get their UV tan this weekend?

Ed

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: If simply the ending of the temporary suspension of the Social Security payroll deduction (referred t...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

If simply the ending of the temporary suspension of the Social Security payroll deduction (referred to here as the "the tippy-top of the iceberg") has gotten them so upset, I can't wait to see their reaction when they start seeing the mountain of other new "revenue enhancements" for the middle class that will be coming down the pike (referred to hear as crashing into the huge submerged portion of the iceberg) to pay for the ballooning government for which they voted. Hopefully, we can do things to mitigate the massive mess ahead.

Just one somewhat obscure tax that took effect on January 1st... a 2.3% tax on the sale price (not the profit) of medical devices. Imagine how far-reaching this could be.... perhaps all of the equipment and tools used in a hospital or doctors office (and probably drug stores too), wheel chairs, crutches, eye patches, Q-Tips, tongue depressors, finger splints, cotton balls, ear wax removers, arm slings, etc., etc., etc. The list could truely be nearly endless.... And this is just one new tax.

www.irs.gov

Ed

--hide--

I don't think they should have ever suspended the payroll deduction. Everyone in Washington complains that
Social Security is going bankrupt. Well, this isn't helping at all. Mostly, Washington just needs to keep their greedy
fingers out of the Social Security money. Only people who contribute should be eligible to receive anything from that fund.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Oh, and I just had to mention this new federal tax (which I believe started on January 1st)...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Oh, and I just had to mention this new federal tax (which I believe started on January 1st)...

America's first federal tax on tanning services - A 10% levy designed to help pay for Congress's health-care overhaul.

From the Wall Street Journal article below:

"It's a universal truth in Washington: There's no such thing as a simple tax. Free tans at video-rental stores might be taxable, but tanning services offered by health clubs mostly aren't, thanks to a late exemption. Ultraviolet tans are taxed. Spray tans aren't. Tanning salons are fretting over how to calculate unlimited memberships that combine taxed and non-taxed tans. Customers, meanwhile, have been racing to cram in tanning sessions to avoid the levy."

online.wsj.com

I wonder if all those college students would have voted for Obama if they knew they would be paying 10% more when they get their UV tan this weekend?

Ed

--hide--

Ed, ten percent is no big thing for the tanning beds. Besides, they are so dangerous, they should be
banned anyway. Tanners are going to go the way of cigarette smokers it seems. Pretty soon it will
be cheaper to do a trip to Rio for the sun than to use the tanning beds.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: If simply the ending of the temporary suspension of the Social Security payroll deduction (referred t...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

www.irs.gov

Ed

--hide--

This is an area I've had on my radar for the past 6 months in ongoing discussions with my financial advisor. Last week we removed the device manufacturers from the portfolio and moved the investsments in medical managed services. Ironically, if Romney had been elected, we would have went the opposite direction..

Jan 7th 2013 new

Hi Marianne,

It is neither the government's place nor the government's responsibility to protect us citizens from everything (of our free choice) that may not be good for us. We do not need, nor should we tolerater government intrusion into the free choices of citizens simply because that choice may not be "good" for us. It is none of the government's business. Taxing for the purpose of limiting choices (because such a choice may me bad for us) leads to a nanny-government such as is demonstrated over-and-over again by politicians such as Mayor Bloomberg of NYC (outlawing sodas over a certain size, large popcorns in movie theaters, etc, etc.).

Using the same reasoning that the federal government may tax tanning sessions because they may be bad for people, then what is to stop the federal government from also taxing fast food, sugary drinks, hang gliding, parachute jumping, ice skating, riding a motorcycle, etc., etc. because they may be dangerous or contribute to poor health. We do not need, nor should we allow government to protect us from decisions of our own free will. When government does this, we are no longer free. God gave each person a free will. God could certainly stop us from using our free will to make bad/immoral choices if He wanted to do so.... But if He did, we would no longer be free. I don't need, nor do I want the government to hold my hand a make decisions for me that should be of my own free will.

Ed

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Hi Marianne, It is neither the government's place nor the government's responsibil...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Hi Marianne,

It is neither the government's place nor the government's responsibility to protect us citizens from everything (of our free choice) that may not be good for us. We do not need, nor should we tolerater government intrusion into the free choices of citizens simply because that choice may not be "good" for us. It is none of the government's business. Taxing for the purpose of limiting choices (because such a choice may me bad for us) leads to a nanny-government such as is demonstrated over-and-over again by politicians such as Mayor Bloomberg of NYC (outlawing sodas over a certain size, large popcorns in movie theaters, etc, etc.).

Using the same reasoning that the federal government may tax tanning sessions because they may be bad for people, then what is to stop the federal government from also taxing fast food, sugary drinks, hang gliding, parachute jumping, ice skating, riding a motorcycle, etc., etc. because they may be dangerous or contribute to poor health. We do not need, nor should we allow government to protect us from decisions of our own free will. When government does this, we are no longer free. God gave each person a free will. God could certainly stop us from using our free will to make bad/immoral choices if He wanted to do so.... But if He did, we would no longer be free. I don't need, nor do I want the government to hold my hand a make decisions for me that should be of my own free will.

Ed

--hide--

All of the things you mentioned in your second paragraph, from fast food to motorcycles are taxed already, at least
in NYS. Food bought in the grocery store is one of the only things not taxed here in New York. But if you buy soda
or candy or fruit drinks, not fruit juice, they are all taxed.

I don't want the Government to tell me or you or anyone what to do, but I really think they already do. They
constantly try to make cars more safe, and monitor drugs, and make street drugs illegal, and limit the sale of
firearms. So, they have a hand in a lot of things.

Our own free will doesn't mean too much to Uncle Obama.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9